49ers list Charvarius Ward among 7 inactives vs. Seahawks →

There are 404 users in the forums

The Coaching/Front Office Carousel

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TopDogBerkeley:
Is it better to hire a Head Coach with a background in Offense or Defense? It always seems like the talking heads say you need an offensive coach to get the most out of the QB. Here are the stats:

2023 Playoffs. Prior to Bills-Steelers and Bucs-Eagles, it is an even 5-5 split. I'm counting Harbaugh as defensive since his background was defense and special teams.
  • Offense: Kyle Shanahan, Mike Lafleur, Dan Campbell, Nick Sirianni, Andy Reid
  • Defense: John Harbaugh, Todd Bowles, Sean McDermott, Mike Tomlin, Demeco Ryans
Super Bowl Winners since 2000 is another even split.
  • Offense: 12 out of 23
  • Defense: 11 out of 23
Excluding duplicate Super Bowl winners mainly removes the Belichick Super Bowls, so here is the only indicator that it might be better to promote an OC over a DC.

• Offense: 10 out of 16
  • Defense: 6 out of 16

Super Bowl Winners: Season, Coach, Specialty
  • 2022, Andy Reid, Offense
  • 2021, Sean McVay, Offense
  • 2020, Bruce Arians, Offense
  • 2019, Andy Reid, Offense
  • 2018, Bill Belichick, Defense
  • 2017, Doug Pederson, Offense
  • 2016, Bill Belichick, Defense
  • 2015, Gary Kubiak, Offense
  • 2014, Bill Belichick, Defense
  • 2013, Pete Carroll, Defense
  • 2012, John Harbaugh, Special Teams/Defense
  • 2011, Tom Coughlin, Offense
  • 2010, Mike McCarthy, Offense
  • 2009, Sean Payton, Offense
  • 2008, Mike Tomlin, Defense
  • 2007, Tom Coughlin, Offense
  • 2006, Tony Dungy, Defense
  • 2005, Bill Cowher, Defense
  • 2004, Bill Belichick, Defense
  • 2003, Bill Belichick, Defense
  • 2002, Jon Gruden, Offense
  • 2001, Bill Belichick, Defense
  • 2000, Brian Billick, Offense

Only 2 "defensive" teams won it the past 9 years and those teams had Tom Brady at QB. The league is an offensive league no doubt. I think a defensive guy can win but he needs a great QB and a good offensive staff around him. Then he will need to continue bringing in young offensive talent as the league poaches his guys every year.
  • Cosmo
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Paul Allen's widow and her woke, purple-haired Karen friends (Megan Rapinoe) and their cats run the Seahawks now…. #SmashThePatriarchy
✊🏿👩🏻‍🎤👨🏻‍🎤🧑🏽‍🎤🐈‍⬛

I see the Giants are going to interview the 49ers assistant special teams coach. That's about as low level as you can go without trying to get the towel boy.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I see the Giants are going to interview the 49ers assistant special teams coach. That's about as low level as you can go without trying to get the towel boy.

Joan in payroll got a call too..
  • Cosmo
Anyone else concerned that the Cowboys might fire McCarthy and hire Belichick? That move would instantly make them relevant.
Originally posted by Cosmo:
Anyone else concerned that the Cowboys might fire McCarthy and hire Belichick? That move would instantly make them relevant.

Bill would need major concessions from Jerry on that. He'd probably ask Parcells about that as well.
depends if BB can bring in Matt Patricia as his OC
  • Cosmo
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I hear McDaniels is looking for a job…
  • Deebo
  • Veteran
I don't see Bill and Jerrah co-existing
Originally posted by Deebo:

This. No way Jerry hires a strong coach that would want to call the shots. The media is so excited For Bill to be an option to save their Cowboys. Not reality. Jerry will hire a weak coach he can walk over.

Originally posted by jobiwon:

This. No way Jerry hires a strong coach that would want to call the shots. The media is so excited For Bill to be an option to save their Cowboys. Not reality. Jerry will hire a weak coach he can walk over.

I agree
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by jobiwon:

I agree
jerry could be changing.. i was expecting fireworks after the game

Belichick has been successful in one place. NE. He had Brady and the weakest division in football for about 20 years. He's not good in the draft especially when it comes to drafting offensive weapons. He'll be saddled wth a QB scheduled to make nearly $60 million next season. I don't see how that mkes the Cowboys instantly relevant. especially if Jerry doesn't keep his nose out of things.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jan 15, 2024 at 5:01 PM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Belichick has been successful in one place. NE. He had Brady and the weakest division in football for about 20 years. He's not good in the draft especially when it comes to drafting offensive weapons. He'll be saddled wth a QB scheduled to make nearly $60 million next season. I don't see how that mkes the Cowboys instantly relevant. especially if Jerry doesn't keep his nose out of things.

For the most part, Jerry is pretty good at bringing in talent. Bill can coach. He just can't pick players. Dallas would definitely be a better, more disciplined team under BB. His best bet is going to a place where he will have a steady flow of talent.
Share 49ersWebzone