LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 278 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I don't know if the INT was completely on Pettis. Tough catch to make with two defenders right there.

Yeah, I mean it was a rushed throw, not completely on target, into double coverage and Pettis was diving to attempt to even get near it. Not to mention he was being held too. That's an extremely low percentage play for a catch to happen. Even Shanahan didn't really blame Pettis on that one. Chalked it up to an unfortunate tip.

The Breida play though, if he has it in his hands enough to push it up and backwards, that tells me he had plenty opportunity to make that catch.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 23, 2019 at 6:11 AM ]
From the outhouse to the penthouse! Bigtime play
With his purple hair, kitty cats, and suntan lotion, he's a winner!
He was clutch yesterday!
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I don't know if the INT was completely on Pettis. Tough catch to make with two defenders right there.

Yeah, I mean it was a rushed throw, not completely on target, into double coverage and Pettis was diving to attempt to even get near it. Not to mention he was being held too. That's an extremely low percentage play for a catch to happen. Even Shanahan didn't really blame Pettis on that one. Chalked it up to an unfortunate tip.

The Breida play though, if he has it in his hands enough to push it up and backwards, that tells me he had plenty opportunity to make that catch.

He's got to learn to body out too. DB's can play through him and that's exactly what happened. If that was Deebo, that's a catch IMO. If he's going to play the Z, he'll have many routes like this.

Pettis to all haterz
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by njninersfan420:
From the outhouse to the penthouse! Bigtime play

i have watched the play a million times. and all i can say.. i"ll be damned!
Good to see Pettis bouncing out and then in the end zone.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Pettis to all haterz

I hope he takes 10 cat selfies just to piss off the haters

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Pettis to all haterz

Originally posted by NCommand:

He's got to learn to body out too. DB's can play through him and that's exactly what happened. If that was Deebo, that's a catch IMO. If he's going to play the Z, he'll have many routes like this.

On that one, honestly, Deebo might not have gotten a hand on that one at all (shorter wingspan and arm length than Pettis). Jalen Hurd though, I could definitely see an argument for that. The only thing that would've helped that play *maybe* would've been making the in cut sooner, but Pettis was shooting for the sticks. Rewatching the play again, The ball was fired off target with rapid velocity and Pettis immediately recognized it was off target and definitely fought to stay in front of the defender. Everything on that play happened really fast. It was a great effort that simply ended unluckily with the safety being right there.

Shanahan saying Pettis did all he could on that play, and watching it again, I feel like I have to agree with him on this one.

On that one, honestly, Deebo might not have gotten a hand on that one at all (shorter wingspan and arm length than Pettis). Jalen Hurd though, I could definitely see an argument for that. The only thing that would've helped that play *maybe* would've been making the in cut sooner, but Pettis was shooting for the sticks. Rewatching the play again, The ball was fired off target with rapid velocity and Pettis immediately recognized it was off target and definitely fought to stay in front of the defender. Everything on that play happened really fast. It was a great effort that simply ended unluckily with the safety being right there.

Shanahan saying Pettis did all he could on that play, and watching it again, I feel like I have to agree with him on this one.

That's fair. I think slanting inside is more of a feel in traffic too and knowing how to position yourself around defenders to make that catch but good point on the arm length. Like on the TD...he knows he's not going to out muscle DB's there so he aggressively comes back to the ball and attacks it before they can even react. Smart. He'll get that feel down the more he gets used to the Z and playing inside traffic.

That's fair. I think slanting inside is more of a feel in traffic too and knowing how to position yourself around defenders to make that catch but good point on the arm length. Like on the TD...he knows he's not going to out muscle DB's there so he aggressively comes back to the ball and attacks it before they can even react. Smart. He'll get that feel down the more he gets used to the Z and playing inside traffic.

Sometimes, you have those moments in football where it's the perfect storm of crappiness and an unfortunate play happens. It's hard to blame any one person on that play. I think Shanahan termed it, "that's just football." Person stumbled out of his stance on the play fake, making him unable reach the LDE who now has a free run directly at Jimmy, who hurries the throw and does just enough to get it off while getting leveled, as Pettis then dives in front of the defender to barely get his fingers on the ball and it unfortunately tips right to the Steeler 1 yard behind him. Go figure.

This offense will be adding a huge dimension when Hurd comes back. Can you say back-shoulder fade?
I don't know the age of many of you guys, but that catch by Pettis for the TD reminded me of that TO catch from Young in the playoffs years ago ( I forgot the playoff year.) In between 2 or 3 defenders and out muscled them. Nice to see him make that catch after I was hearing for sometime that he hasn't lived up to the hype yet. Go Niners!
Share 49ersWebzone