There are 542 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Lol, please pay attention, becasue I know it could be a bit difficult: I said AT THIS POINT IN THEIR CAREER! Meaning, in Pettis' rookie year he didn't show the promise that Deebo and Hurd has shown. And yes, I'm fully aware that Hurd hasn't played a regular season down. And if you don't think that Deebo won't show as much as Pettis did last season you must be thinking that Deebo gets cut next season.

Bottom line, Pettis didn't show much more than a consistent lack of physicality (as I thought he would coming out of Washington), and as we learned a lack of needed focus on the NFL game of football. And it don't take much to see that he's not a gym guy, so the former don't seem to bettering itself anytime soon. So, Deebo and Hurd has shown more promise at this point in their career than did Pettis at this same point.

And you can mark my words here, when Hurd returns Pettis' playing time will likely get reduced.

Maybe you should pay attention? At this point in their careers, Pettis has literally done more than both Hurd and deebo combined. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. Pettis has more yards, catches and TDs with less drops and turnovers. I don't know what subjective "promise rating" you're using but let's just stick to the facts
[ Edited by frenchmov on Oct 17, 2019 at 5:57 AM ]
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Lol, please pay attention, becasue I know it could be a bit difficult: I said AT THIS POINT IN THEIR CAREER! Meaning, in Pettis' rookie year he didn't show the promise that Deebo and Hurd has shown. And yes, I'm fully aware that Hurd hasn't played a regular season down. And if you don't think that Deebo won't show as much as Pettis did last season you must be thinking that Deebo gets cut next season.

Bottom line, Pettis didn't show much more than a consistent lack of physicality (as I thought he would coming out of Washington), and as we learned a lack of needed focus on the NFL game of football. And it don't take much to see that he's not a gym guy, so the former don't seem to bettering itself anytime soon. So, Deebo and Hurd has shown more promise at this point in their career than did Pettis at this same point.

And you can mark my words here, when Hurd returns Pettis' playing time will likely get reduced.

Maybe you should pay attention? At this point in their careers, Pettis has literally done more than both Hurd and deebo combined. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. Pettis has more yards, catches and TDs with less drops and turnovers. I don't know what subjective "promise rating" you're using but let's just stick to the facts
Gonna say this again too: for me this is not about stats. I'm not arguing stats here (which is what you're implying when you say "done more", and mention "yards, catches and TDs"), and nothing that I've said indicates that I have. Please don't read more into my comments than what I stated. Pettis is "his guy" (Shanny's). And Shanny has given - and will give - Pettis every opportunity and has called his number quite a bit. So yes, his stats should be comparable or higher. But again, Pettis has shown the inconsistency, Pettis has shown the lack physicality (so much so that Shanny & Lynch felt compelled to draft not one, but two physical WR's back-to-back high in the draft), and we can use our own eyes to see that he's not that much into the gym (which is an indication of the reports of his lack of focus and commitment to football).

In relation to the "promise rating" you so incorrectly attached to me. Please show me where I used some "promise rating". [Your quotation.] I admit, this is subjective. After all, I DID say "IMHO . . . ". So I didn't think I could not have hidden the subjective nature of my stance, nor was I attempting to. However, I did make mentions to give reason for my position, so I'm not exactly pulling my position out of the sky either. It's based on what we all can plainly see to this point in Pettis' career thus far.
Originally posted by frenchmov:

Yeah I mean, Pettis was making plays. He had a highlight reel touchdown in his first NFL game. He got hurt a few games in and had to work his way back, but the whole season working with CJB and Mullens mostly, he did some great stuff. We'll see where Deebo's at when we finish the year. I won't knock him to lift up Pettis -- no reason to do that. Deebo is playing fine with a few rookie mistakes in there.

Hurd just needs to heal and get on the field before we can assess him. But I feel good about our WRs at the moment.
I see Pettis, Deebo and Hurd as all having a chance to be the go to guy but they all need to make improvements. Pettis needs to be consistent, Deebo needs to quit dropping passes and Hurd needs to get healthy and show what he can do in the regular season. Goodwin, Bourne and Taylor are just complimentary pieces that are slot guys (Taylor) or a deep threat (Goodwin). Bourne more of a possession guy that isn't going to give you any YAC. It's really not a bad group if one of the 3 can step up and become the go to guy. It's still early and we have to remember that these guys are all young and haven't had a ton of games with Jimmy.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Never mind the three catches he had last game that were all third down conversions in traffic, or the game winning catch against the Steelers, again, in traffic. Or the tail end of last year when he tore the Shehawks a new one. Try watching the games instead of box scores, and fantasy football stats, you'll appreciate our players more.

Maybe not having a true #1 WR is helping us!

Good article.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/10/17/20917880/no-heroes-no-divas-49ers-wr1-garoppolo-kittle-shanahan

Thoughts??
Originally posted by Oilcan:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Originally posted by pete98146:
Originally posted by elguapo:
I'm so glad he called Dante out even though he's probably a little bit wrong but it did piss him off and I know that had to motivate him so good work Grant

Now he needs to get to work on Goodwin because that f**ker drops too many balls

I agree. Dante needs motivation. Love the kid but still very disappointed that he didn't hit the weights in the offseason. That was the knock on Spoon. They are similar size. Spoon came into came noticeably bigger, Dante didn't.

But I think this topic has been beat to death. I'm sure Dante understands the shade that he's receiving. Can't play a man's game with a boy's body. Nowhere to go but up. Hope he's willing to accept the challenge.

Pettis has been our #1 WR in snap counts in each of the last two games, more than Goodwin, more than Deebo. I don't know how one can figure he's in anybody's doghouse.

He's not in anyones doghouse like you said. Pettis is their #1 WR, and the fact is, with our run game, we don't need a true #1 WR.

All this talk about not needing a #1 seems like an excuse for not being able to draft and developed one.
Dude, we're 5-0. Relax, enjoy each game, the season. It will never be perfect but we're winning, the most important thing about playing the game, the ultimate goal. Trust the process, Shanahan said we're just starting so let's just watch and follow our team. The more you become thankful in life, the happier and more peaceful you're going to be.
Gonna say this again too: for me this is not about stats. I'm not arguing stats here (which is what you're implying when you say "done more", and mention "yards, catches and TDs"), and nothing that I've said indicates that I have. Please don't read more into my comments than what I stated. Pettis is "his guy" (Shanny's). And Shanny has given - and will give - Pettis every opportunity and has called his number quite a bit. So yes, his stats should be comparable or higher. But again, Pettis has shown the inconsistency, Pettis has shown the lack physicality (so much so that Shanny & Lynch felt compelled to draft not one, but two physical WR's back-to-back high in the draft), and we can use our own eyes to see that he's not that much into the gym (which is an indication of the reports of his lack of focus and commitment to football).

In relation to the "promise rating" you so incorrectly attached to me. Please show me where I used some "promise rating". [Your quotation.] I admit, this is subjective. After all, I DID say "IMHO . . . ". So I didn't think I could not have hidden the subjective nature of my stance, nor was I attempting to. However, I did make mentions to give reason for my position, so I'm not exactly pulling my position out of the sky either. It's based on what we all can plainly see to this point in Pettis' career thus far.

Lol Deebo has been way more inconsistent. He has a crucial drop and/or a turnover in every game. Pettis has a game winning TD catch in tight coverage. Deebo had a wide open TD at the goal line and most of his big plays came on basic screens with great blocking that went for big yards.

I hope they both do well but Pettis is pretty clearly a better WR
I'm so glad he called Dante out even though he's probably a little bit wrong but it did piss him off and I know that had to motivate him so good work Grant

I agree. Dante needs motivation. Love the kid but still very disappointed that he didn't hit the weights in the offseason. That was the knock on Spoon. They are similar size. Spoon came into came noticeably bigger, Dante didn't.

But I think this topic has been beat to death. I'm sure Dante understands the shade that he's receiving. Can't play a man's game with a boy's body. Nowhere to go but up. Hope he's willing to accept the challenge.

Pettis has been our #1 WR in snap counts in each of the last two games, more than Goodwin, more than Deebo. I don't know how one can figure he's in anybody's doghouse.

He's not in anyones doghouse like you said. Pettis is their #1 WR, and the fact is, with our run game, we don't need a true #1 WR.

I think We do need a number one receiver to win the Super Bowl. We have enough to do it now barely, however we do need a bigger threat in the passing game to open up everyone else including George Kittle. It doesn't have to be a great number one just a passable number one

I think We do need a number one receiver to win the Super Bowl. We have enough to do it now barely, however we do need a bigger threat in the passing game to open up everyone else including George Kittle. It doesn't have to be a great number one just a passable number one

+1

El Gato had an El Pectoral
Originally posted by NCommand:
El Gato had an El Pectoral

Now hes El Gatoral
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by Oilcan:

All this talk about not needing a #1 seems like an excuse for not being able to draft and developed one.

Well few have been drafted outside of the 1st round. AB is probably the last one. Tyreek doesn't count IMO due to his character issues.

Plus you need longer than 2 years developing time. Dante and Deebo have talent, we'll see how far that goes.

I'm surprised though that at 5-0 people still think we need a true #1 WR

That's the fantasy football mindset.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Maybe not having a true #1 WR is helping us!

Good article.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/10/17/20917880/no-heroes-no-divas-49ers-wr1-garoppolo-kittle-shanahan

Thoughts??

I can only think of 3 Top 5 WRs that won a Super Bowl since we did it with Jerry in 94. They were Marvin Harrison, Keyshawn Johnson, and Isaac Bruce. Can anyone think of anyone else.
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Still wondering why we don't use him as PR.
Makes me think his college PR didn't translate to NFL or Kyle values him way more that we all think.
Share 49ersWebzone