There are 621 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Originally posted by pete98146:
I'm so glad he called Dante out even though he's probably a little bit wrong but it did piss him off and I know that had to motivate him so good work Grant

Now he needs to get to work on Goodwin because that f**ker drops too many balls

I agree. Dante needs motivation. Love the kid but still very disappointed that he didn't hit the weights in the offseason. That was the knock on Spoon. They are similar size. Spoon came into came noticeably bigger, Dante didn't.

But I think this topic has been beat to death. I'm sure Dante understands the shade that he's receiving. Can't play a man's game with a boy's body. Nowhere to go but up. Hope he's willing to accept the challenge.

Pettis has been our #1 WR in snap counts in each of the last two games, more than Goodwin, more than Deebo. I don't know how one can figure he's in anybody's doghouse.

He's not in anyones doghouse like you said. Pettis is their #1 WR, and the fact is, with our run game, we don't need a true #1 WR.

I think We do need a number one receiver to win the Super Bowl. We have enough to do it now barely, however we do need a bigger threat in the passing game to open up everyone else including George Kittle. It doesn't have to be a great number one just a passable number one

I don't believe that at all.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Originally posted by pete98146:
I'm so glad he called Dante out even though he's probably a little bit wrong but it did piss him off and I know that had to motivate him so good work Grant

Now he needs to get to work on Goodwin because that f**ker drops too many balls

I agree. Dante needs motivation. Love the kid but still very disappointed that he didn't hit the weights in the offseason. That was the knock on Spoon. They are similar size. Spoon came into came noticeably bigger, Dante didn't.

But I think this topic has been beat to death. I'm sure Dante understands the shade that he's receiving. Can't play a man's game with a boy's body. Nowhere to go but up. Hope he's willing to accept the challenge.

Pettis has been our #1 WR in snap counts in each of the last two games, more than Goodwin, more than Deebo. I don't know how one can figure he's in anybody's doghouse.

He's not in anyones doghouse like you said. Pettis is their #1 WR, and the fact is, with our run game, we don't need a true #1 WR.

I think We do need a number one receiver to win the Super Bowl. We have enough to do it now barely, however we do need a bigger threat in the passing game to open up everyone else including George Kittle. It doesn't have to be a great number one just a passable number one

I don't believe that at all.

Pettis is a perfect WR2 - with Deebo our WR3. We need to address our WR1 situation in the draft - there will be no options in FA.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 18, 2019 at 11:01 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
Pettis is a perfect WR2 - with Deebo our WR3. We need to address our WR1 situation in the draft - there will be no options in FA.
This is why Skule is so intriguing. If he and Brunskill can provide solid and cheap OL depth (plus, factor in Coleman), it really allows great flexibility in the upcoming draft. Especially b/c it looks like the 49ers will be drafting late / extremely late in the first round.

When Staley went down I was gutted. Any other year, when it rains it pours. This year, maybe my PTSD got the best of me, and Staley's injury will turn out to be a blessing.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Maybe not having a true #1 WR is helping us!

Good article.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/10/17/20917880/no-heroes-no-divas-49ers-wr1-garoppolo-kittle-shanahan

Thoughts??

I can only think of 3 Top 5 WRs that won a Super Bowl since we did it with Jerry in 94. They were Marvin Harrison, Keyshawn Johnson, and Isaac Bruce. Can anyone think of anyone else.

No.1 WR on Superbowl Winners only since 1994.
Alshon Jeffery
Demaryius Thomas
Emmanuel Sanders
Marques Colston
Jordy Nelson
Greg Jennings
Victor Cruz
Anquan Boldin
Doug Baldwin
Hines Ward
Reggie Wayne
Plaxico Burress
Michael Irvin
Antonio Freeman
Rod Smith
Originally posted by Ark49er:

Good article.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/10/17/20917880/no-heroes-no-divas-49ers-wr1-garoppolo-kittle-shanahan

Thoughts??

I can only think of 3 Top 5 WRs that won a Super Bowl since we did it with Jerry in 94. They were Marvin Harrison, Keyshawn Johnson, and Isaac Bruce. Can anyone think of anyone else.

Alshon Jeffery
Demaryius Thomas
Emmanuel Sanders
Marques Colston
Jordy Nelson
Greg Jennings
Victor Cruz
Anquan Boldin
Doug Baldwin
Hines Ward
Reggie Wayne
Plaxico Burress
Michael Irvin
Antonio Freeman
Rod Smith

Forgot about the cowboys win in 1995 after ours. Wasn't Harrison the number 1 when the colts won? Either way, not many top 5 WRs in that group.
Alshon Jeffery
Demaryius Thomas
Emmanuel Sanders
Marques Colston
Jordy Nelson
Greg Jennings
Victor Cruz
Anquan Boldin
Doug Baldwin
Hines Ward
Reggie Wayne
Plaxico Burress
Michael Irvin
Antonio Freeman
Rod Smith

Thanks for compiling this list. I feel even better about our current offensive lineup -- particularly when we have two starting tackles again.
Originally posted by Polkadots:
This is why Skule is so intriguing. If he and Brunskill can provide solid and cheap OL depth (plus, factor in Coleman), it really allows great flexibility in the upcoming draft. Especially b/c it looks like the 49ers will be drafting late / extremely late in the first round.

When Staley went down I was gutted. Any other year, when it rains it pours. This year, maybe my PTSD got the best of me, and Staley's injury will turn out to be a blessing.

Excellent point and I totally agree. We won't be in position to get one of the elite OTs, couple that with the depth at WR in this coming draft and we can be in position to grab a stud WR.
Originally posted by illinois9er:
Originally posted by Polkadots:

Excellent point and I totally agree. We won't be in position to get one of the elite OTs, couple that with the depth at WR in this coming draft and we can be in position to grab a stud WR.

Question becomes when do we let our guys develop? Pettis, Deebo and Hurd is serious draft capital in the same position over last 2 years and we really haven't had them do much yet whether due to injuries or need.

Of course flexibility in the draft is always great. When you don't have a clear huge need you can go legit BPA and improve the team then sort things out later but I'd still have OL and safety over WR.

Of course WR class next year is looking special so we'll see what happens. Honestly I'm enjoying not doing draft prep at this point in the season. I've missed this.

Good article.

Thoughts??

Alshon Jeffery
Demaryius Thomas
Emmanuel Sanders
Marques Colston
Jordy Nelson
Greg Jennings
Victor Cruz
Anquan Boldin
Doug Baldwin
Hines Ward
Reggie Wayne
Plaxico Burress
Michael Irvin
Antonio Freeman
Rod Smith

Forgot about the cowboys win in 1995 after ours. Wasn't Harrison the number 1 when the colts won? Either way, not many top 5 WRs in that group.
The original question was No.1 type WR and based off production those guys I listed were certainly just that, and we don't currently have anybody close to what those guys were.

I wish we can have a guy who could produce on a No.1 type level. What we need is consistency, stability, and reliability at that spot. That guy would be a No.1 type.
Originally posted by genus49:
Question becomes when do we let our guys develop? Pettis, Deebo and Hurd is serious draft capital in the same position over last 2 years and we really haven't had them do much yet whether due to injuries or need.

Of course flexibility in the draft is always great. When you don't have a clear huge need you can go legit BPA and improve the team then sort things out later but I'd still have OL and safety over WR.

Of course WR class next year is looking special so we'll see what happens. Honestly I'm enjoying not doing draft prep at this point in the season. I've missed this.

AMEN! My quality of life has dramatically increased since week 1 of this season lol.

Good article.

Thoughts??

Alshon Jeffery
Demaryius Thomas
Emmanuel Sanders
Marques Colston
Jordy Nelson
Greg Jennings
Victor Cruz
Anquan Boldin
Doug Baldwin
Hines Ward
Reggie Wayne
Plaxico Burress
Michael Irvin
Antonio Freeman
Rod Smith

The original question was No.1 type WR and based off production those guys I listed were certainly just that, and we don't currently have anybody close to what those guys were.

I wish we can have a guy who could produce on a No.1 type level. What we need is consistency, stability, and reliability at that spot. That guy would be a No.1 type.

Were they?

Here are their rookie seasons( seasons they had during the SB winning years) and the year they "broke out"

Alshon Jeffery 24 367 3(65 843 6) 2nd
Demaryius Thomas 22 283 2(105 1304 6) 3rd
Emmanuel Sanders 28 376 2(76 1135 6) 4th(same SB as DT)
Marques Colston 70 1038 8(70 1074 9) rookie
Jordy Nelson 33 366 2(45 582 4) 4th(same SB as GJ)
Greg Jennings 45 632 3 (76 1265 12) 2nd
Victor Cruz 0 0 0 (82 1536 9) 2nd
Anquan Boldin 101 1377 8(65 921 4) rookie
Doug Baldwin 51 788 4(50 778 5) rookieish
Hines Ward 15 246 0(69 975 11/81 1043 7) 4th
Reggie Wayne 27 345 0(86 1310 9) 3rd same SB as Marvin Harrison
Plaxico Burress 22 273 0(70 1025 12) 2nd
Michael Irvin 32 654 5(too many) 4th
Antonio Freeman 8 106 1(56 933 9) 2nd
Rod Smith 6 152 1(70 1180 12/86 1222 6) 3rd

You'll notice very few of these guys came out of the gate as #1 WRs and several of them weren't even #1 on their own team when they won it all.

Michael Irvin who was probably the best of the bunch didn't break out until his 4th season.

We have to let our guys develop before saying we don't have a #1 WR.
I don't care if we have one guy getting 12 receptions and 3 or 4 others getting a total of 8 or whether it's 5 guys each getting 4. It still adds up to the same number. The only thing I would like to see is a guy that Jimmy develops a relationship with so he knows he can go to him on 3rd and long or in the red zone. Other than that I really don't care if the guy gets 100 catches or 60 catches as long as we are winning.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by NCommand:
El Gato had an El Pectoral

Now hes El Gatoral

Kitty had a titty...ache
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
El Gato had an El Pectoral

Now hes El Gatoral

Kitty had a titty...ache

Good article.

Thoughts??

Alshon Jeffery
Demaryius Thomas
Emmanuel Sanders
Marques Colston
Jordy Nelson
Greg Jennings
Victor Cruz
Anquan Boldin
Doug Baldwin
Hines Ward
Reggie Wayne
Plaxico Burress
Michael Irvin
Antonio Freeman
Rod Smith

Wait, you posted that list as proof that our current WRs could never be good enough to win a championship? I totally see that group as a very attainable goal for at least one of Pettis, Deebo, or Hurd to reach in the next few years.
Share 49ersWebzone