WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Ark49er:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by Ark49er:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Maybe not having a true #1 WR is helping us!

Good article.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/10/17/20917880/no-heroes-no-divas-49ers-wr1-garoppolo-kittle-shanahan

Thoughts??

I can only think of 3 Top 5 WRs that won a Super Bowl since we did it with Jerry in 94. They were Marvin Harrison, Keyshawn Johnson, and Isaac Bruce. Can anyone think of anyone else.

No.1 WR on Superbowl Winners only since 1994.
Alshon Jeffery
Demaryius Thomas
Emmanuel Sanders
Marques Colston
Jordy Nelson
Greg Jennings
Victor Cruz
Anquan Boldin
Doug Baldwin
Hines Ward
Reggie Wayne
Plaxico Burress
Michael Irvin
Antonio Freeman
Rod Smith

Forgot about the cowboys win in 1995 after ours. Wasn't Harrison the number 1 when the colts won? Either way, not many top 5 WRs in that group.
The original question was No.1 type WR and based off production those guys I listed were certainly just that, and we don't currently have anybody close to what those guys were.

I wish we can have a guy who could produce on a No.1 type level. What we need is consistency, stability, and reliability at that spot. That guy would be a No.1 type.

Were they?

Here are their rookie seasons( seasons they had during the SB winning years) and the year they "broke out"

Alshon Jeffery 24 367 3(65 843 6) 2nd
Demaryius Thomas 22 283 2(105 1304 6) 3rd
Emmanuel Sanders 28 376 2(76 1135 6) 4th(same SB as DT)
Marques Colston 70 1038 8(70 1074 9) rookie
Jordy Nelson 33 366 2(45 582 4) 4th(same SB as GJ)
Greg Jennings 45 632 3 (76 1265 12) 2nd
Victor Cruz 0 0 0 (82 1536 9) 2nd
Anquan Boldin 101 1377 8(65 921 4) rookie
Doug Baldwin 51 788 4(50 778 5) rookieish
Hines Ward 15 246 0(69 975 11/81 1043 7) 4th
Reggie Wayne 27 345 0(86 1310 9) 3rd same SB as Marvin Harrison
Plaxico Burress 22 273 0(70 1025 12) 2nd
Michael Irvin 32 654 5(too many) 4th
Antonio Freeman 8 106 1(56 933 9) 2nd
Rod Smith 6 152 1(70 1180 12/86 1222 6) 3rd

You'll notice very few of these guys came out of the gate as #1 WRs and several of them weren't even #1 on their own team when they won it all.

Michael Irvin who was probably the best of the bunch didn't break out until his 4th season.

We have to let our guys develop before saying we don't have a #1 WR.

How'd you pull that out your A ......genus 49
Hope Pettis has Velcro on his gloves for the rain
You throw to multiple receivers. I don't see the problem with bringing in a #1 when it's Goodwin who'd get axed not Deebo or Pettis. One of those guys may get their playing time cut but the idea that they should all be handed the opportunities of playing time as second round picks. Meh.

But it's not a move I'd force. If the right guy comes, at the right price yeah go for it. The better receiver between Deebo/ Pettis will be fine.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I don't care if we have one guy getting 12 receptions and 3 or 4 others getting a total of 8 or whether it's 5 guys each getting 4. It still adds up to the same number. The only thing I would like to see is a guy that Jimmy develops a relationship with so he knows he can go to him on 3rd and long or in the red zone. Other than that I really don't care if the guy gets 100 catches or 60 catches as long as we are winning.
Jordan matthews
Originally posted by tjd808185:
You throw to multiple receivers. I don't see the problem with bringing in a #1 when it's Goodwin who'd get axed not Deebo or Pettis. One of those guys may get their playing time cut but the idea that they should all be handed the opportunities of playing time as second round picks. Meh.

But it's not a move I'd force. If the right guy comes, at the right price yeah go for it. The better receiver between Deebo/ Pettis will be fine.

Deebo gets 4 targets a game and Pettis and Goodwin get 3 targets a game. The problem with bringing in a guys used to high volume is he will have to accept his new role, or Kyle will feel pressure to force targets his way.
Pettis made at least three big time catches against the Rams, using his hands to catch the ball away from his body. The catch in the end zone was a pretty good one as well even though he couldn't quite close the deal. Hopefully the light is starting to go on for him in terms of what is required to succeed at this level and he will continue on an upward trajectory for the remainder of the year. Was really hoping to see Hurd play this year but I get the feeling that we will have to wait until next season
Deebo gets 4 targets a game and Pettis and Goodwin get 3 targets a game. The problem with bringing in a guys used to high volume is he will have to accept his new role, or Kyle will feel pressure to force targets his way.

If they're good It's not forcing it. Shanny did just fine with Julio they only had the #1 o of all time. You can make the argument they're not targeted much because they're not getting consistently open.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 20, 2019 at 2:08 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:

No evidence to support this argument whatsoever.

This is a straw man I've ever seen one.
It's pretty safe to say that up to this point, pettis has been a massive disappointment for Kyle. Kyle was expecting a star when he picked pettis.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
It's pretty safe to say that up to this point, pettis has been a massive disappointment for Kyle. Kyle was expecting a star when he picked pettis.

How has he been a major disappointment, he's in only his 2nd yr. He's produced when given a chance, he has one mental mistake. Today no WRs were good except maybe Bourne. Pettis's targets were all underthrowns or bad throws by Jimmy. It was freaking raining like crazy in Washington.
Originally posted by 24karat49er:
I don't care if we have one guy getting 12 receptions and 3 or 4 others getting a total of 8 or whether it's 5 guys each getting 4. It still adds up to the same number. The only thing I would like to see is a guy that Jimmy develops a relationship with so he knows he can go to him on 3rd and long or in the red zone. Other than that I really don't care if the guy gets 100 catches or 60 catches as long as we are winning.
Jordan matthews

He'll be cut if/when Hurd or Taylor get activated.

Trade this mediocre gato now
Talk about overreacting in this thread, had one mental mistake, 2 passes to him were bad throws by Jimmy, played well in 2018, you don't give up on a 2nd rd pick this early, hasn't played 2 seasons yet, people wrote off AA after 2 yrs, and now look at him.
Originally posted by 24karat49er:
Jordan matthews
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Trade this mediocre gato now

Uh oh. Way to stir the pot Maiocco.

[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 20, 2019 at 3:54 PM ]
I just don't trust this cat
Share 49ersWebzone