There are 151 users in the forums

Eric Reid thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by HomerJ:
It's also Reid's decision. He was offered a contract and decided to sue the NFL instead. Time to hold him accountable for decisions he's made.

You read his Twitter posts about being good with it playing out like this, right?

I did see his posts. So do you think an employee should take less than he's worth, for doing nothing worse than exercising his rights?

Or do you think that employee should give up on what he believes in?

He's not sued the NFL, he's filed a grievance against owners.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
It's also Reid's decision. He was offered a contract and decided to sue the NFL instead. Time to hold him accountable for decisions he's made.

You read his Twitter posts about being good with it playing out like this, right?

I did see his posts. So do you think an employee should take less than he's worth, for doing nothing worse than exercising his rights?

When distraction outweighs what he brings to the table, he becomes expendable. He obviously has a much higher opinion of himself than the NFL.
When distraction outweighs what he brings to the table, he becomes expendable. He obviously has a much higher opinion of himself than the NFL.

I mean you aren't wrong, that's why the situation is how it is.

I just think it's wrong, it's only a distraction to people who let it be a distraction, fundamentally you've got someone who went out of his way to find a way to show respect (kneeling) whilst raising awareness of a serious issue.

This type of person should be celebrated, not vilified.

I just think it's wrong, it's only a distraction to people who let it be a distraction, fundamentally you've got someone who went out of his way to find a way to show respect (kneeling) whilst raising awareness of a serious issue.

I can think of a many ways Reid (and Kap) could have gone about their protest without becoming public enemy #1. That why I don't make excuses or feel sorry for them.
I can think of a many ways Reid (and Kap) could have gone about their protest without becoming public enemy #1. That why I don't make excuses or feel sorry for them.

The Number One concern should be taking care of your family. What you do on your own time is your business. The 32 Feudal Lords can wait you out and have dozens of players to take your place.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

What ways are those? And are they ways that would reach millions of people all at once?
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by mojave45:
Originally posted by mojave45:
Pre game is still part of the experience.

And 3 or 4 people doing some sort of silent protest spoils your experience?

You need it to enhance yours?

Not at all, when I go to games I sing the anthem(s) and enjoy the experience, a couple of people silently protesting has no effect on me.

Maybe not you, but it does to a very large portion of the fan base.

very large? not even close, more like very small. unless you are talking about a different type of large...

I'm not sure if you're serious or not. Yes very large.

that's why NFL still has the highest ratings on TV, even though a very large population is offended. i think you're watching too much fake news.
Every line of work I have been in and I have been in many has a legal way to collectively make someone undesirable or unemployable as a group. They simply say they all reject you for the same reason. They could say they reject Reid because of his very real risk of sudden retirement due to another concussion. They could even say they all reject you for expressing your political views on company time and that such expression would cost them money.

We all live with "at will" employment. Read all about it on the application you filled out for your job. Employers in all fields have a right to get rid of you or not hire you. Why would the NFL be any different? Expressing political views of any type at work is grounds for unemployment in all jobs I have had over a period of 50 years (been working a long time). The free speech guarantee only applies to government entities not private parties.
Originally posted by Furlow:
If it's not disrupting your life then why are you against it?

I am against it because I am a political realist. It is hurting the causes he stands for. I am a life long progressive who was at the WTO in Seattle and many other such gatherings.

CK and Reid are like protesters who unlike me went willingly to jail and allowed the system to make examples out of them thus scaring off potential supporters. They are just not politically savvy and will never get the intended results.

Unglamorous as it seems I make an effort to speak directly as often as I can with others different than me. I make an effort to understand their views and their feelings. In the end communication works as good as anything available and is encouraged by employers thus doable at work.
[ Edited by CoachMike on May 6, 2018 at 7:51 PM ]
Originally posted by CoachMike:
I am against it because I am a political realist. It is hurting the causes he stands for. I am a life long progressive who was at the WTO in Seattle and many other such gatherings.

CK and Reid are like protesters who unlike me went willingly to jail and allowed the system to make examples out of them thus scaring off potential supporters. They are just not politically savvy and will never get the intended results.

Unglamorous as it seems I make an effort to speak directly as often as I can with others different than me. I make an effort to understand their views and their feelings. In the end communication works as good as anything available and is encouraged by employers thus doable at work.

You sound like you've led an interesting life and been involved in serious issues, but you must know that communication only reaches those willing to hear, if you want to go further you need to get people's attention.

Kap & Reid decided to get people's attention by silently and respectfully protesting whilst the anthem was playing. Then when given a platform to discuss it they got their message across.

They have now sacrificed their careers and are taking a stand against oppression. I'm very surprised you don't support that.

In Reid's case I think he's using him kneeling as an excuse on why he has a limited market and now he's piggy backing hoping for an easy pay day.

The guy was benched last year, safeties aren't in high demand, and he's apparently too cool to take less $ to reestablish himself. Take a look at Crabtree when he went to Oak. Sometimes you have to sign a 1-2 year prove it deal to get paid again but if you just hide behind the no one wants me because I kneeled it's easy to see why he has no job.

I don't ever blame someone for not wanting to work at a low % of your pay from the previous year but it is apart of the career he signed up on kneeling or no kneeling.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on May 6, 2018 at 8:33 PM ]
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CoachMike:

You sound like you've led an interesting life and been involved in serious issues, but you must know that communication only reaches those willing to hear, if you want to go further you need to get people's attention.

Kap & Reid decided to get people's attention by silently and respectfully protesting whilst the anthem was playing. Then when given a platform to discuss it they got their message across.

They have now sacrificed their careers and are taking a stand against oppression. I'm very surprised you don't support that.

All of the bolded.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
In Reid's case I think he's using him kneeling as an excuse on why he has a limited market and now he's piggy backing hoping for an easy pay day.

The guy was benched last year, safeties aren't in high demand, and he's apparently too cool to take less $ to reestablish himself. Take a look at Crabtree when he went to Oak. Sometimes you have to sign a 1-2 year prove it deal to get paid again but if you just hide behind the no one wants me because I kneeled it's easy to see why he has no job.

I don't ever blame someone for not wanting to work at a low % of your pay from the previous year but it is apart of the career he signed up on kneeling or no kneeling.

That is just completely not Eric Reid, you can tell that straight away from ever listening to him or reading something he's written.

This is 100% something he deeply believes in and he is going to do everything he can to do something about it.

Also the Bengals, were reportedly offering him a deal as long if he agreed to stop protesting.
That is just completely not Eric Reid, you can tell that straight away from ever listening to him or reading something he's written.

This is 100% something he deeply believes in and he is going to do everything he can to do something about it.

Also the Bengals, were reportedly offering him a deal as long if he agreed to stop protesting.

He's said it himself it's insulting to see me as a cheap sign because I stood for the anthem. The problem with that what is his value had he not kneeled? He was likely going to be taking a pay cut no matter what.

As for the Bengals that's the team policy they're pushing and Reid wouldn't answer questions about it to Brown or Lewis.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on May 6, 2018 at 9:43 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
He's said it himself it's insulting to see me as a cheap sign because I stood for the anthem. The problem with that what is his value had he not kneeled? He was likely going to be taking a pay cut no matter what.

As for the Bengals that's the team policy they're pushing and Reid wouldn't answer questions about it to Brown or Lewis.

His perceived value is down to him and his agent, even if you think that's part of the problem it certainly doesn't support the narrative that is the reason for him suing.

From what I've read about the Bengals situation, he found the question uncomfortable because the situation is fluid.

Reid stated that he was going to move on from kneeling and find new ways of promoting the cause, however he wants to reserve the right to carry out his rights, that was not compatible with ownership, Reid believes that was due to collusion so filed a grievance.
Share 49ersWebzone