LISTEN: Do The 49ers Have Cause For Concern? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Emmanuel Moseley CB Detroit Lions

Shop 49ers game tickets
Witherspoon hurt= Moseley comes in and plays better
Witherspoon not playing well= Moseley comes in and plays better
Witherspoon healthy before a game= starts

Maiocco on KNBR just now said Saleh loves Spoons attitude and approach and doesn't see him being removed as the starter for Saturday's game

John Lynch or Shanny might have to pull rank here because Spoon hasn't played great for a while now. EMan did well during his 8 games as the starter and in crunch time last Game.
We need both to play and play well. No sense in talking one guy down to boost another one up. They both have strengths and weaknesses and Moseley got torn up by Julio Jones.
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Maiocco on KNBR just now said Saleh loves Spoons attitude and approach and doesn't see him being removed as the starter for Saturday's game

John Lynch or Shanny might have to pull rank here because Spoon hasn't played great for a while now. EMan did well during his 8 games as the starter and in crunch time last Game.
This is why I don't understand all the love for Saleh. I feel like the defensive success was more on the influx of talent and a few changes in assistant coaches (Kocurek) and less because Saleh is some defensive prodigy.

I just hope that's all coach speak to not tip our hand to the Vikings. Mosely may not be a huge upgrade over Witherspoon but he IS an upgrade.
akhello witherspoon pff 61.0
emmanuel mosely pff 70.0
Originally posted by Curlin:
We need both to play and play well. No sense in talking one guy down to boost another one up. They both have strengths and weaknesses and Moseley got torn up by Julio Jones.

Good post!
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Julio won the game beating Ward and Reed.
Spoon has to find the guy he was before his injury. Dude was our BEAT corner before he got hurt.

Hopefully having Ford and Tartt back will bring that out in him again.
Originally posted by genus49:
Spoon has to find the guy he was before his injury. Dude was our BEAT corner before he got hurt.

Our beat corner? I hope you didn't mean best. That was always Sherman.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by genus49:

Our beat corner? I hope you didn't mean best. That was always Sherman.

Spoon's strength IMO is when he's in man coverage covering short to intermediate routes so he can use his long arms to break off the pass.

He might be the worst zone corner I have seen. He's slow reading the play and misses a lot of tackles in space.

Mosely isn't as talented physically but I think he's also not going to make huge mistakes.

I would start Mosely tbh... and in certain packages put Witherspoon back in.

If spoon does start I hope he's on a very short leash. Would be a shame to waste a great defensive effort by 10players just to see spoon give up TDs again
Originally posted by jcs:

Julio won the game beating Ward and Reed.

Yeah, I was going to say, Donte Whitner said Moseley held his own against Julio.
What frustrates me the most about Spoon when he plays zone coverage is he seems to try and bait the QB to throw his way by giving the receiver space to make it looked like he's butthole naked. But he always outsmarted himself and backfires on him because he's too late to react and too slow to break on the ball. It's okay to do that if you have quick feet but he doesn't, he has slow feet and "Slow feet don't eat son." You can get away with that in college or if you're playing against Kap where you see him winding from a mile away, but not in the NFL right now. Quick releases and arm strength in the NFL are in a different level.

Eman on the other hand is great at breaking to the ball and a helluva tackler.
THIS is so DUMB.. Spoon starting again just shows me that the coaching staff is doing this so that we don't hurt Spoon's feelings.. this is the same freakin way and how we took care of a suspended ALDRUNK SMITH..

but I'm hoping that AFTER Spoon gives up an early TD, he will be replaced and wont see the game again until we blow them out.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I think Spoon will be on a very short leash with this being the playoffs and all. But I think Moseley will be a better match up anyway vs Diggs than Spoon would be. Simply because I think Moseley will play alot tighter and not give up so much cushion like Spoon does. Then again who knows, getting Ford back may do wonders for everyone!!
Share 49ersWebzone