LISTEN: Do The 49ers Have Cause For Concern? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Emmanuel Moseley CB Detroit Lions

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
No way. This team is competing for a super bowl. Their going to do what they feel is best for the team. Kyle has shown little restraint in speaking his mind to players directly or in the media. They have shown little restraint in making moves when it was needed.

Obviously these guys are in practice and engorged in film. There is a practical reason their going with Spoon. Fans aren't always supposed to understand everything a team does. Because we simply watch these guys a small fraction of what the coaching staff does both in film and in practice.

That maybe true however the fact remains that this guy gives up more free touchdowns than Santa Claus! Whether it's scheme or miscommunication the fact of the matter is Mosley does not get caught the same way Witherspoon does.

So whether the coaches know better than us or not, I disagree that they do because results tend to show if you're a good or bad player in the end. Witherspoon has had these problems for three years now he's only had probably seven or so good games out of every game he's played and that is not good.

You know how there's some players that don't practice well, but ball out in games? I wonder if Spoon is a practice All Star, but a cupcake during the games, because clearly Salah abd the D coaches see something we're not. I thought you could see Shanny yelling at Saleh last game after the 2nd TD Spoon gave up, then finally EMan went in.

Potential can only go so far when you're team is in playoff elimination mode. Screw spoon. Bench him. Next year he can have another chance to win the starting job.

We can't have spoon pull a Chris Culliver in the playoffs
Potential can only go so far when you're team is in playoff elimination mode. Screw spoon. Bench him. Next year he can have another chance to win the starting job.

This. Its about the hot hand, play that sh*t till it cools off. I get that coaches have this loyalty of nobody loses their starter status due to injury... but if that were the case there would be no Tom Brady. Eman played lights out in Spoons absence and Spoon hasnt even approached that level of play or his own from the first few games of the season since he has come back.

Same bullsh*t with Celek, they sat Toilolo for Celek coming back and all he did was miss blocks and sh*t the bed. Toilolo gets activated again once Celek goes back on IR and all of a sudden the running game starts being able to do things and pass protection doesnt suck a$$ when we dont have to keep Kittle in to block.

Replace Spoon with E man and Coleman with Wilson and we are finally activating our best 46.
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:

This. Its about the hot hand, play that sh*t till it cools off. I get that coaches have this loyalty of nobody loses their starter status due to injury... but if that were the case there would be no Tom Brady. Eman played lights out in Spoons absence and Spoon hasnt even approached that level of play or his own from the first few games of the season since he has come back.

Same bullsh*t with Celek, they sat Toilolo for Celek coming back and all he did was miss blocks and sh*t the bed. Toilolo gets activated again once Celek goes back on IR and all of a sudden the running game starts being able to do things and pass protection doesnt suck a$$ when we dont have to keep Kittle in to block.

Replace Spoon with E man and Coleman with Wilson and we are finally activating our best 46.

I agree 100%
Coleman and spoon need to be backups and so did shaair to Elijah lee. Lee balled out last 5 games of 2018. Celek is a waste of space

Hopefully spoon gets burned when we are way ahead so no harm done and we got a benching
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Moseley, go!
No way. This team is competing for a super bowl. Their going to do what they feel is best for the team. Kyle has shown little restraint in speaking his mind to players directly or in the media. They have shown little restraint in making moves when it was needed.

Obviously these guys are in practice and engorged in film. There is a practical reason their going with Spoon. Fans aren't always supposed to understand everything a team does. Because we simply watch these guys a small fraction of what the coaching staff does both in film and in practice.

That maybe true however the fact remains that this guy gives up more free touchdowns than Santa Claus! Whether it's scheme or miscommunication the fact of the matter is Mosley does not get caught the same way Witherspoon does.

So whether the coaches know better than us or not, I disagree that they do because results tend to show if you're a good or bad player in the end. Witherspoon has had these problems for three years now he's only had probably seven or so good games out of every game he's played and that is not good.

I'm not negating the fact that I believe Mosely is playing better than Witherspoon right now. However I disagree with you that the coaching staff doesn't know better than us. Jimmie Ward has been a subject of abuse on this board for years and nobody could ever understand why the staff kept him around through all the position changes and injuries. This season showed why. He's been healthy most of the year and played the best ball of his career. Once again this staff spends countless hours in film, practice, and live interaction. They absolutely know better than us.

I believe Witherspoon will be on a short leash and Witherspoon has shown this season when healthy and confident he's a good player. I don't know if the team is trying to unlock that confidence in him again or what?

It doesn't change what I originally stated though. Kyle knows the stakes of this game. Obviously they feel when both men are at their best Witherspoon is the better player and their giving him the opportunity to show it. In no way do I believe this is a pecking order deal though where one was a third round pick and one is undrafted and thats why they made this decision. The team is in super bowl mode now.

Like I originally stated I don't have to understand every move the team makes. Their judgement brought us 13 wins and a number one seed this season and I believe that in game if adjustments need to be made then they will be. I trust Kyle knows what he's seeing and doing. I'm just going to wait and see what happens. No point in getting irritated by it because there's nothing I can do it about it all the same.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jan 10, 2020 at 4:04 AM ]

I'm not negating the fact that I believe Mosely is playing better than Witherspoon right now. However I disagree with you that the coaching staff doesn't know better than us. Jimmie Ward has been a subject of abuse on this board for years and nobody could ever understand why the staff kept him around through all the position changes and injuries. This season showed why. He's been healthy most of the year and played the best ball of his career. Once again this staff spends countless hours in film, practice, and live interaction. They absolutely know better than us.

I believe Witherspoon will be on a short leash and Witherspoon has shown this season when healthy and confident he's a good player. I don't know if the team is trying to unlock that confidence in him again or what?

It doesn't change what I originally stated though. Kyle knows the stakes of this game. Obviously they feel when both men are at their best Witherspoon is the better player and their giving him the opportunity to show it. In no way do I believe this is a pecking order deal though where one was a third round pick and one is undrafted and thats why they made this decision. The team is in super bowl mode now.

Like I originally stated I don't have to understand every move the team makes. Their judgement brought us 13 wins and a number one seed this season and I believe that in game if adjustments need to be made then they will be. I trust Kyle knows what he's seeing and doing. I'm just going to wait and see what happens. No point in getting irritated by it because there's nothing I can do it about it all the same.

Understandable comparison but there is no better player behind Ward other than a young unproven player who still has a lot to learn.

Moseley proved his worth and played best in the bigger games and flat out produces every time he's on thre field.
  • Jaci
  • Veteran
KS has not been hesitant at all throughout the year to pull players during the game and move things around as the game progresses. I honestly don't think the starting label means much come game time. Even as a starter, Spoon will be on a short lease.
Originally posted by Jaci:
KS has not been hesitant at all throughout the year to pull players during the game and move things around as the game progresses. I honestly don't think the starting label means much come game time. Even as a starter, Spoon will be on a short lease.

During the game that has been true for the most part, Im more critical of Shanny when it comes to who gets activated. Going with guys like Celek and Coleman over the guys that were getting it done in their absence becomes more and more frustrating on each bad play they make. But hey, he got us this far so we just gotta go with it. At least we know we arent in trouble of seeing any more of Celek.
It'd too bad they kept Celek and tried to hide Kaden Smith on the practice squad. He was younger, cheaper and had more potential than Celek. I guess it was mostly about his blocking.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Understandable comparison but there is no better player behind Ward other than a young unproven player who still has a lot to learn.

Moseley proved his worth and played best in the bigger games and flat out produces every time he's on thre field.

I mean the team decided not to bring anybody else in behind Ward. That's part of my point. There have been perceived better options available. People were going crazy for Earl Thomas this summer. They've had a ton of draft picks and cap space the last three off-seasons that the depth chart could have been altered at free safety if they chose too.

The whole point about it is nobody understood why the coaching staff stuck behind this guy or what they saw in him. But it stands as my point that these guys spend so much time with and studying these players that they know who gives them the best chance to win. Even though I agree that Mosely has outplayed Witherspoon lately, obviously the staff believes that if both are at their best Witherspoon is the better player.

I'm not gonna rehash everything I wrote above in my previous post but my original point isn't gonna change. These guys aren't gonna hedge the biggest game of the year on a hunch. There's a reason they are making this decision, whether we get it or not.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jan 10, 2020 at 9:08 AM ]

I mean the team decided not to bring anybody else in behind Ward. That's part of my point. There have been perceived better options available. People were going crazy for Earl Thomas this summer. They've had a ton of draft picks and cap space the last three off-seasons that the depth chart could have been altered at free safety if they chose too.

The whole point about it is nobody understood why the coaching staff stuck behind this guy or what they saw in him. But it stands as my point that these guys spend so much time with and studying these players that they know who gives them the best chance to win. Even though I agree that Mosely has outplayed Witherspoon lately, obviously the staff believes that if both are at their best Witherspoon is the better player.

I'm not gonna rehash everything I wrote above in my previous post but my original point isn't gonna change. These guys aren't gonna hedge the biggest game of the year on a hunch. There's a reason they are making this decision, whether we get it or not.

They had drafted Tarvarius Moore for C3 and for him to play the single high safety role. There were countless S's on the market and nobody wanted Ward in FA so naturally, he resigned with us. And Saleh loved him. Fortunately, he resigned, stayed healthy and has played well for us. But TBF, they had no issues letting Ward walk out of the building to test FA.

I think the Witherspoon-Moseley comparison is a tad off in comparison.
They had drafted Tarvarius Moore for C3 and for him to play the single high safety role. There were countless S's on the market and nobody wanted Ward in FA so naturally, he resigned with us. And Saleh loved him. Fortunately, he resigned, stayed healthy and has played well for us. But TBF, they had no issues letting Ward walk out of the building to test FA.

I think the Witherspoon-Moseley comparison is a tad off in comparison.

I mean your stretching this a bit. It isn't like they let him play the field for a week and nobody knocked. They made it known they wanted him back before free agency and resigned him the first day of free agency so no he never tested free agency. Also Moore was brought here to be a corner not a safety. He started playing some safety when injuries dictated it. You said it yourself. There were countless safeties available yet they stuck with the guy that you say nobody else wanted because they trusted what they saw in him. Whether you agree with the comparison or not once again doesn't change the underlying point here.

Coaches know the players better than we do.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jan 10, 2020 at 9:54 AM ]
Originally posted by Jaci:

If this true, and from the cheap seats it appears that way, then i would guess Moseley is playing early in 1st qtr. What none of us know is what kyle sees in Spoon on a daily basis and the overall direction of his play. If he plays him, then his observations are different from what many of us have observed. And if that's the case , if he is getting beaten like a drum, then kyle will make a change. Key here is kyle sees him daily..,.we do not. That said, all i've Seen of spoon as of last game and before was not the quality of player he was prior to injury.

Contrarily, if spoon goes out there and kicks azz, fantastic...and Kyle was right in having him out there. If he sticks out like a sore thumb, however, Kyle, of all people will be quick to note and act. I guess the other question is has Moseley been having bad practices? And remember, ball hasn't beeen snapped yet and we still have no idea who starts.
The dude is just a dawg. Plays best in big games.
so dam solid.
Share 49ersWebzone