There are 194 users in the forums

Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
Congrats to Alex , party poopers gunna poop 💩.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by MucketyMuck:
Well deserved

Randy Moss and Alex Smith will be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame as members of the 2024 class.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/5184421/2024/01/07/randy-moss-alex-smith-college-football-hall-of-fame/%3famp=1

Well deserved. If we got college Alex instead of the version we got, we could very easily be on the quest for 7 right now.

If we would've used him correctly he would've been much better imo. He should've been a Josh Allen type but by Nolans own admittance we tried to make him something that he was not which was a straight pocket passer.

I also think Alex was a bit immature and not ready for the NFL. He should've stayed at Utah another year. Off topic but I still believe to this day that Utah beats USC in the Championship game if they were given the chance. I think the Alex/Urban Meyer combo would've beaten anyone as that spread offensive was fresh and nearly unstoppable.
Well deserved

Randy Moss and Alex Smith will be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame as members of the 2024 class.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/5184421/2024/01/07/randy-moss-alex-smith-college-football-hall-of-fame/%3famp=1

Well deserved. If we got college Alex instead of the version we got, we could very easily be on the quest for 7 right now.

If we would've used him correctly he would've been much better imo. He should've been a Josh Allen type but by Nolans own admittance we tried to make him something that he was not which was a straight pocket passer.

I also think Alex was a bit immature and not ready for the NFL. He should've stayed at Utah another year. Off topic but I still believe to this day that Utah beats USC in the Championship game if they were given the chance. I think the Alex/Urban Meyer combo would've beaten anyone as that spread offensive was fresh and nearly unstoppable.

You cant be serious with this. LOL
Well deserved

You cant be serious with this. LOL

Yes I'm serious. He was the #1 pick for a reason. He was just inducted into the HoF for a reason... Nolan even admitted he uses Alex wrong. Great rebuttal as usual though SWH. Very knowledgeable stuff per usual. LOL
Yes I'm serious. He was the #1 pick for a reason. He was just inducted into the HoF for a reason... Nolan even admitted he uses Alex wrong. Great rebuttal as usual though SWH. Very knowledgeable stuff per usual. LOL

Could have been a better player in a better situation is a fair argument.

Comparing him to Josh Allen is really off the mark just in terms of a prospect. Allen has prototypical size, athleticism, and one of the strongest and most versatile arms in the history of the league. Alex was a spread qb with a decent arm, decent athleticism, and good size.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Could have been a better player in a better situation is a fair argument.

Comparing him to Josh Allen is really off the mark just in terms of a prospect. Allen has prototypical size, athleticism, and one of the strongest and most versatile arms in the history of the league. Alex was a spread qb with a decent arm, decent athleticism, and good size.

No it's not. They both had a very similar skillet. Alex was every bit as mobile as Josh and had plenty of arm strength. You guys can lie all you want but Alex was the #1 pick for a reason. Josh Allen at #7 was viewed as a tremendous reach by nearly everyone(not I). I'm a guy who watched both college careers pretty hardcore.

Alex should've played in a similar offense as Josh, maybe I didn't make my point clear. I'm not saying that are the same QB. I'm simply saying Alex should've been able to run and use his mobility like Josh but at the time, that was unheard of. He was drafted for his mobility and arm. To say otherwise is just ridiculous. As I said, even Nolan admitted this.
[ Edited by MucketyMuck on Jan 8, 2024 at 7:02 PM ]
No it's not. They both had a very similar skillet. Alex was every bit as mobile as Josh and had plenty of arm strength. You guys can lie all you want but Alex was the #1 pick for a reason. You're simply playing stupid lol.

Well I agree that Alex was 'as mobile' as Josh but Josh is ~2 inches taller and 20+ pounds heavier. He's a way more dangerous runner because he will run you over in addition to being pretty fast. Also agree Alex had 'plenty of arm strength' but his arm was not close to Allen's.

This isn't an insult. Allen has physical advantages over damn near everyone who played the position.

They aren't comparable because they were 1st overall picks. Peyton Manning was a 1st overall pick that is nothing like Alex or Josh. Josh is closer to Cam Newton than either of those two guys.
No it's not. They both had a very similar skillet. Alex was every bit as mobile as Josh and had plenty of arm strength. You guys can lie all you want but Alex was the #1 pick for a reason. You're simply playing stupid lol.

Well I agree that Alex was 'as mobile' as Josh but Josh is ~2 inches taller and 20+ pounds heavier. He's a way more dangerous runner because he will run you over in addition to being pretty fast. Also agree Alex had 'plenty of arm strength' but his arm was not close to Allen's.

This isn't an insult. Allen has physical advantages over damn near everyone who played the position.

They aren't comparable because they were 1st overall picks. Peyton Manning was a 1st overall pick that is nothing like Alex or Josh. Josh is closer to Cam Newton than either of those two guys.

No I'm saying Alex was a #1 pick due his mobility and they didn't use it. Nolan literally admitted this. I'm trying to find it but I can't for whatever reason. I'm saying that making Alex a statue pocket QB was a huge mistake when he should've been doing Josh Allen type of things like getting out of the pocket, running, and making teams take away both the run and the pass. In 2005 running QBs we're not very popular and they went away from what made Alex so good. His ability outside of the pocket. Again... Nolan admitted this. Now he wasn't going to plow people over like Josh(though he did in college) but he was still a very crafty and great, not good, great runner. Every bit as skilled as Josh is. This is why he is a CFB HoF QB and a #1 draft pick.
[ Edited by MucketyMuck on Jan 8, 2024 at 7:14 PM ]
No I'm saying Alex was a #1 pick due his mobility and they didn't use it. Nolan literally admitted this. I'm trying to find it but I can't for whatever reason. I'm saying that making Alex a statue pocket QB was a huge mistake when he should've been doing Josh Allen type of things like getting out of the pocket, running, and making teams take away both the run and the pass. In 2005 running QBs we're not very popular and they went away from what made Alex so good. His ability outside of the pocket. Now he wasn't going to plow people over like Josh(though he did in college) but he was still a very crafty and great, not good, great runner. This is why he is a CFB HoF QB and a #1 draft pick.

Definitely would never argue he wasn't mismanaged here, but we couldn't exactly bring his offense into the NFL. Would agree elements of his college offense have become more en vogue as time went on though. Urban Meyer made comments he would take time adjusting to the pro game. I wouldn't say he was a project but he was more of a project than Rodgers… who also went to a situation where he was allowed to slowly work in.

I always thought we made the wrong pick and also didn't really help him at all. I wanted him over Rodgers at the time (mainly because I was a USC fan though).
No I'm saying Alex was a #1 pick due his mobility and they didn't use it. Nolan literally admitted this. I'm trying to find it but I can't for whatever reason. I'm saying that making Alex a statue pocket QB was a huge mistake when he should've been doing Josh Allen type of things like getting out of the pocket, running, and making teams take away both the run and the pass. In 2005 running QBs we're not very popular and they went away from what made Alex so good. His ability outside of the pocket. Now he wasn't going to plow people over like Josh(though he did in college) but he was still a very crafty and great, not good, great runner. This is why he is a CFB HoF QB and a #1 draft pick.

Definitely would never argue he wasn't mismanaged here, but we couldn't exactly bring his offense into the NFL. Would agree elements of his college offense have become more en vogue as time went on though. Urban Meyer made comments he would take time adjusting to the pro game. I wouldn't say he was a project but he was more of a project than Rodgers… who also went to a situation where he was allowed to slowly work in.

I always thought we made the wrong pick and also didn't really help him at all. I wanted him over Rodgers at the time (mainly because I was a USC fan though).

Disagree. As I said if we used him more in a Josh Allen type of way, he would've been much better. I understand they are different but they still have a similar skillet as far as mobility and arm(pre shoulder injury). Again in 2005 mobile QBs weren't necessarily thing but oddly enough they became more popular once it was too late for Alex. He was kind of a pioneer in the mobile QB phase that we see today. Now of course there were guys like Steve, McNabb, Moon, Vick but it was still not overly popular.

Disagree. As I said if we used him more in a Josh Allen type of way, he would've been much better. I understand they are different but they still have a similar skillet as far as mobility and arm(pre shoulder injury). Again in 2005 mobile QBs weren't necessarily thing but oddly enough they became more popular once it was too late for Alex. He was kind of a pioneer in the mobile QB phase that we see today. Now of course there were guys like Steve, McNabb, Moon, Vick but it was still not overly popular.

You realize Aaron Rodgers had the same type of mobility as Alex Smith yea? Alex outsized him a bit but neither had the size to be running QB power, like Allen or Cam Newton. Aaron thrived off his mobility throughout his career (see the belt celebration, lol).

You realize Aaron Rodgers had the same type of mobility as Alex Smith yea? Alex outsized him a bit but neither had the size to be running QB power, like Allen or Cam Newton. Aaron thrived off his mobility throughout his career (see the belt celebration, lol).

Lol no he didn't. Not even close. And this size argument is terrible. Size has little to do with running ability. Jalen Hurts can run just fine. Size only matters as far as being wreckless like Allen can be. im truthfully not sure what you're getting at with this size argument.

Rodgers is a very crafty runner though. I often compare Brocks mobility to Rodgers. He's more in the 250-300 yards area Rodgers was at Cal. These guys run when all else fails but they are not running QBs like a Josh Allen and Alex was in college.
[ Edited by MucketyMuck on Jan 8, 2024 at 7:52 PM ]

Lol no he didn't. Not even close. And this size argument is terrible. Size has little to do with running ability. Jalen Hurts can run just fine. Size only matters as far as being wreckless like Allen can be. im truthfully not sure what you're getting at with this size argument.

Rodgers is a very crafty runner though. I often compare Brocks mobility to Rodgers. He's more in the 250-300 yards area Rodgers was at Cal. These guys run when all else fails but they are not running QBs like a Josh Allen and Alex was in college.

It should be clear. Size is good for contact. Allen can take a beating. Alex gets broken with that type of usage, like 99.9 percent of QBs who have ever played. Jalen Hurts size absolutely helps him in the same respect. Speed wise Allen and Smith are similar.

And yes, Rodgers' and Smith's mobility were similar. For some reason you discount Alex' time with the Chiefs… after the read option craze and with Chris Ault on staff. He never put up more than 400 yards in an NFL season which was higher than Rodgers' high but very comparable overall as Rodgers would put up 300+ yards multiple years. And that was in a pure pro style offense…
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Jan 8, 2024 at 8:07 PM ]

It should be clear. Size is good for contact. Allen can take a beating. Alex gets broken with that type of usage, like 99.9 percent of QBs who have ever played. Jalen Hurts size absolutely helps him in the same respect. Speed wise Allen and Smith are similar.

And yes, Rodgers' and Smith's mobility were similar. For some reason you discount Alex' time with the Chiefs… after the read option craze and with Chris Ault on staff. He never put up more than 400 yards in an NFL season which was higher than Rodgers' high but very comparable overall as Rodgers would put up 300+ yards multiple years. And that was in a pure pro style offense…
No... They weren't. Just stop. Alex was literally drafted due to his mobility. Like literally that's why they drafted Alex over Rodgers.
[ Edited by MucketyMuck on Jan 8, 2024 at 8:13 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone