There are 189 users in the forums

Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by MucketyMuck:
Well deserved

Randy Moss and Alex Smith will be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame as members of the 2024 class.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/5184421/2024/01/07/randy-moss-alex-smith-college-football-hall-of-fame/%3famp=1

Well deserved. If we got college Alex instead of the version we got, we could very easily be on the quest for 7 right now.
What changes occurred to his game, when, and why? Did a genie wave a wand at the draft and make him a completely different player as of the day he became a pro?

Do you ask that question about every single player who was good in college and then bad in the NFL? Some players simply dont live up to their potential, and there are a hundreds of reasons why that could be the case.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Jan 9, 2024 at 2:46 PM ]
not sure what college Alex even means, as we look back, Alex was more or less a product of what Urban was doing. Urban for as bad as he was in the NFL, he's a real NCAA college HOFer. He basically crushed it out of the park in every collegiate stop. Meyer famously and rightly said Alex would be a lil non functional or a while, until he gets it.
Well deserved

Randy Moss and Alex Smith will be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame as members of the 2024 class.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/5184421/2024/01/07/randy-moss-alex-smith-college-football-hall-of-fame/%3famp=1

Well deserved. If we got college Alex instead of the version we got, we could very easily be on the quest for 7 right now.
What changes occurred to his game, when, and why? Did a genie wave a wand at the draft and make him a completely different player as of the day he became a pro?

Do you ask that question about every single player who was good in college and then bad in the NFL? Some players simply dont live up to their potential, and there are a hundreds of reasons why that could be the case.
No I do not, but then I've never asked someone to support their claim that "If we got college [PLAYER] instead of the version we got, we could very easily be on the quest for 7 right now."

Your post strongly suggested there was a radical difference between the two - college Alex and pro Alex and that change occurred right away.

I'm simply asking you why you think we didn't get "College Alex," what changed, and why. If you cannot provide support for your position and/or would like to revise your statement, no problem with me.
"His skills didn't translate." (?)
"He couldn't read defenses." (Kaep)
"His arm sucked." (Sean ___, our former QB)
"He lacked drive." (The big-armed raider QB from a few years ago.)
"He got lazy." (Ryan Leaf)

Those seem like reasons why a college player's skills and success didn't carry over into the pros. Why did Smith immediately turn from a QB winning-type QB to something else when he put the Niners' cap on? (Not "what he became," but "what we got.")
[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Jan 9, 2024 at 3:06 PM ]

Those seem like reasons why a college player's skills and success didn't carry over into the pros. Why did Smith immediately turn from a QB winning-type QB to something else when he put the Niners' cap on? (Not "what he became," but "what we got.")
i would go with what the majority of what rookie QBs struggle with, reading defenses
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

i would go with what the majority of what rookie QBs struggle with, reading defenses

Put 49ATT down for "Smith failed because he couldn't read defenses."

Like I said before, there are plenty of reasons why a player's college skills and success didnt translate into the pros. Some are physical, some are mental, some are both.

For Alex specifically, I would say his arm strength after injury, his timidness, his field reading and trusting what he sees, inability to let it rip (whatever the reason may be, he often times played scared), his inaccuracy throwing deep/outside the numbers were the biggest issues he had here individually. Now, it didnt help matters that he had to learn new systems and had mediocre or bad talent around him either, which was also part of it.

And for the record, this......

Your post strongly suggested there was a radical difference between the two - college Alex and pro Alex and that change occurred right away.

.....is not something I said, suggested or believed. You clearly cant keep your emotions out of this. I have no idea how you gathered that. There was a radical difference between what we saw at Utah and what we saw in SF. But I never suggested it magically happened right away. Players take time to develop, and unfortunately for us, Alex never developed into what we all hoped he would.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Jan 9, 2024 at 3:47 PM ]

Put 49ATT down for "Smith failed because he couldn't read defenses."
i mean going 1-11 in the TD-INT ratio in his first year doesn't help counter the argument

Like I said before, there are plenty of reasons why a player's college skills and success didnt translate into the pros. Some are physical, some are mental, some are both.

For Alex specifically, I would say his arm strength after injury, his timidness, his field reading and trusting what he sees, inability to let it rip (whatever the reason may be, he often times played scared), his inaccuracy throwing deep/outside the numbers were the biggest issues he had here individually. Now, it didnt help matters that he had to learn new systems and had mediocre or bad talent around him either, which was also part of it.

And for the record, this......

.....is not something I said, suggested or believed. You clearly cant keep your emotions out of this. I have no idea how you gathered that. There was a radical difference between what we saw at Utah and what we saw in SF. But I never suggested it magically happened right away. Players take time to develop, and unfortunately for us, Alex never developed into what we all hoped he would.

I'm pretty sure we broke a record for new offensive coordinators with Alex Smith. He finally had success with Norv Turner and bam he was gone.

This context is far different from what Jimmy had. Not to mention the system itself was much better for Jimmy.

Knowing this, I believe Smith was the better player in a vacuum. Jimmy performed better with the 49ers, and had more arm talent, but Smith had higher highs individually and was the better player overall, even with his conservative play style.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I'm pretty sure we broke a record for new offensive coordinators with Alex Smith. He finally had success with Norv Turner and bam he was gone.

This context is far different from what Jimmy had. Not to mention the system itself was much better for Jimmy.

Knowing this, I believe Smith was the better player in a vacuum. Jimmy performed better with the 49ers, and had more arm talent, but Smith had higher highs individually and was the better player overall, even with his conservative play style.

Good post. It would be a fun or interesting experiment, to take a known guy like Rodgers and see him drafted into SF. That was a bad 2005 team, and the rook QB was needed right away. Far different circumstance than what Rodgers was drafted into. That said, Alex wasn't highly athletic or accurate, and he had no cannon. Pretty underwhelming player for a #1 overall selection. He wasn't really a firebrand or leader either. He was bright, and he kept working on his craft. Hung around long enough, to get connected with some real coaches, like Harbs and Reid.

My friend, I disagree with almost this entire post.

First off, saying he "finally had success with Norv" is one of the more overblown narratives that Alex fans believe but isnt close to reality. He averaged 1 TD and 1 interception per game. His QBR was below 50. His passer rating was below 75. Did he have a better 2nd year than 1st? Sure. But his 1st year was among the worst years in NFL history for rookies. He showed some improvement, but he definitely didnt have "success."

I agree with the context part. Much different for Jimmy and Jimmy had a much better system.

I dont believe Smith was the better player, even in a vacuum. As much as I was ready to move off Jimmy, I would take 49er Jimmy over 49er Alex all day. Alex wasnt functional until Harbaugh. Jimmy was functional every season he was healthy enough to play.

First off, saying he "finally had success with Norv" is one of the more overblown narratives that Alex fans believe but isnt close to reality. He averaged 1 TD and 1 interception per game. His QBR was below 50. His passer rating was below 75. Did he have a better 2nd year than 1st? Sure. But his 1st year was among the worst years in NFL history for rookies. He showed some improvement, but he definitely didnt have "success."

I agree with the context part. Much different for Jimmy and Jimmy had a much better system.

I dont believe Smith was the better player, even in a vacuum. As much as I was ready to move off Jimmy, I would take 49er Jimmy over 49er Alex all day. Alex wasnt functional until Harbaugh. Jimmy was functional every season he was healthy enough to play.

Lol you speak of functionality yet have spent all year telling us what a true great QB Darnold is. It's just weird how you hate good QBs but love a true bust. It makes no sense.
[ Edited by MucketyMuck on Jan 9, 2024 at 5:59 PM ]

Lol you speak of functionality yet have spent all year telling what a true great QB Darnold is. It's just weird how you hate good QBs but love a true bust. It makes no sense.

Dude you are about to get blocked. I have never once in my life said Darnold is a great QB or anything close to that. You are constantly making stuff up. Grow up.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Jan 9, 2024 at 6:05 PM ]

Lol you speak of functionality yet have spent all year telling what a true great QB Darnold is. It's just weird how you hate good QBs but love a true bust. It makes no sense.

Dude you are about to get blocked. I have never once in my life said Darnold is a great QB or anything close to that. You are constantly making stuff up. Grow up.
SWH, I always knew you liked Smith ^^ lol

SWH, I always knew you liked Smith ^^ lol

Funny thing is I actually did like Smith coming out of college a lot. I bought his jersey before he even played a snap for us. I wrote off his rookie year as just a bad rookie year. He showed some improvement the next year (nothing to write home about), but some improvement. I was behind him. Then he played absolutely horrible in his third year and got hurt half way through. When he was scheduled to miss his 4th season, thats when I was ready to draft a replacement. If nothing else, just to get another person in here to compete with. When Smith returned from his injury, I was done. The fact that we kept bringing him back was infuriating to me, as I didnt think Alex was anything special and we were in years 5 and 6.

So long story short, I didnt always dislike Alex. I just got tired of the injuries and his play when he was healthy.
Share 49ersWebzone