There are 141 users in the forums

Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
Omg you guys. STILL!?!?!!??!
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Ok. Poorly worded. Note that my first post offered you the opportunity to rephrase and clarify. You chose not to. Your later explanation is reasonable and, FWIW, one that I agree with.

I think if I said that "if we had college Alex instead..." you wouldn't have objected at all. I was super confused why you were asking me about the change in Alex from college to his first year. That's why I didn't backtracknor change what I said.
Word.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

😂
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

😂

we gotta get to 11k
we gotta do it, for Alex
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

😂

we gotta get to 11k
we gotta do it, for Alex
you think it's page 138, but actually it's closer to page 138,000,000

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

😂

we gotta get to 11k
we gotta do it, for Alex
you think it's page 138, but actually it's closer to page 138,000,000

LOL
Seems like a good guy. Sucks he never got to meet the first overall pick expectations, but he was thrown into a god anwful team. great redemption story though.
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
Seems like a good guy. Sucks he never got to meet the first overall pick expectations, but he was thrown into a god anwful team. great redemption story though.

Absolutely a great guy by all accounts. The issue I have with the "he was thrown into a god awful team" type comments is that almost every top of the 1st round quarterback in the history of the NFL is thrown into a god awful team. This isnt a situation that was exclusive to Alex Smith.

Absolutely a great guy by all accounts. The issue I have with the "he was thrown into a god awful team" type comments is that almost every top of the 1st round quarterback in the history of the NFL is thrown into a god awful team. This isnt a situation that was exclusive to Alex Smith.
100% But it also does not make it less true.

The team sucked, there was no stability, he got hurt, and he turned into a gun-shy check-down master. Also, in nearly any other draft, he would not have been the top pick. Some people like to blame him for things out of his control and, to me, that is silly.

The team sucked, there was no stability, he got hurt, and he turned into a gun-shy check-down master. Also, in nearly any other draft, he would not have been the top pick. Some people like to blame him for things out of his control and, to me, that is silly.

Yeah not sure about this one sir. He was a gamechanger type QB in college. His stats were incredible. He was 6-4, mobile, had a strong arm....basically everything you look for in a QB. While he may not have been THE #1 pick in every draft, he certainly would be a top QB drafted.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Jan 10, 2024 at 11:33 AM ]

Yeah not sure about this one sir. He was a gamechanger type QB in college. His stats were incredible. He was 6-4, mobile, had a strong arm....basically everything you look for in a QB. While he may not have been THE #1 pick in every draft, he certainly would be a top QB drafted.

lol gamechanger
Next QB coach in Seattle under Harbaugh…

As you well know, I like Smith and have always wanted him to succeed. I admire his determination, how he has overcome insane injuries, and his contributions to the Niners over the years. That said, IMO he was not worthy of a #1 pick. That draft was very weak compared to most others, such that Braylon Edwards was in play as the top pick as well.
As you well know, I like Smith and have always wanted him to succeed. I admire his determination, how he has overcome insane injuries, and his contributions to the Niners over the years. That said, IMO he was not worthy of a #1 pick. That draft was very weak compared to most others, such that Braylon Edwards was in play as the top pick as well.

He seems like an A+ human being. Obviously tough as nails.

That was viewed as a weaker QB draft at the time. I do think Alex would be viewed as first round prospect in other years… just not top of the draft.
That Alex Smith and Rodgers interview was awesome given the history...

I hated the Alex pick ..but he a great dude....dude is so likable
Share 49ersWebzone