There are 624 users in the forums

Kerry Hyder, DE

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408
Originally posted by 49erGlory:
Now sign Carlos Dunlap and take a DE in the draft. 😎. The best D lines have multiple guys who can rotate in to keep everyone fresh. I love this!

That's one thing I do think signing Hyder affected, signing Dunlap. I was hoping for Dunlap but I don't think he's a possibility anymore unless he's willing to take a team friendly deal which I wouldn't expect him to do. Hope I'm wrong.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I'd rather we develop a young pass rusher over re signing Key

Why can't they do both, Key looked better inside on passing downs than outside anyway.

of course this is the truth. this team struggles with the qb thing and o line thing.. but they do a good job with running backs and d line guys overall.. i say overall cuz there is always the joe williams. sermon. soloman thomas and jacob k things out there

Why can't they do both, Key looked better inside on passing downs than outside anyway.

B/c we already got Hyder, Ebukam and Willis. No need for Key and a rookie. Rookie needs those reps.
[ Edited by lamontb on Mar 24, 2022 at 10:50 AM ]
  • thl408

B/c we already got Hyder, Ebukam and Willis. No need for Key and a rookie. Rookie needs those reps.

I think when the team re-signed Maurice Hurst, that made re-signing Arden Key less important to the team. Hurst could replace Key as the lightweight DT that can rotate in on nickel pass rushing downs. There isn't as much positional flexibility with Hurst, though, who is a pure DT.
Originally posted by thl408:

I think when the team re-signed Maurice Hurst, that made re-signing Arden Key less important to the team. Hurst could replace Key as the lightweight DT that can rotate in on nickel pass rushing downs. There isn't as much positional flexibility with Hurst, though, who is a pure DT.

DL rounding into form and gives some flexibility heading into the draft. Although would still like to see an ER drafted and I'm sure they want a little more beef in the interior. I think Kinlaw is the key to just how good they can be.

Yeah but Hurst also didnt play at all last offseason. I think resigning Key and taking a pass rusher in the mid rounds is the way to go. Top picks need to be spent on a SS and OL
Originally posted by Niners99:
Kind of wish we would've just brought back Key instead, but I guess we saw Hyder as comparable for much cheaper.

Key is looking for the biggest deal. I wonder how deep we go however.

Kinlaw, AA, Hurst, Givens, Ridgeway, Bosa, Willis, Ebukam, and Hyder.

Am I missing anyone? Seems there's only room for 1 more player- a speed rusher. Good starters and good depth. Loss of DJ and likely Key will hurt, but D-line should be fine. Its all wide open for us to go in on O-line and DB early and often. Still need Jimmy G to bring another day 2 pick, but they have enough picks to replenish the talent with rookies on low cost deals which is sorely needed now.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Fresno49er:
Hyder and Bosa Lets go!

lets not get crazy,, i actually think the real help with edge rusher will come in the second or third round. bosa is still our cedrick hardman... we have yet to find his tommy hart... old school cc there.. hell we still need to find our cleveland elam at dt. i would even settle for a jimmy webb dt guy.... i figured if i am going old school with the 76 gold rush,. i may as way go all the way
Wow. Most of the guys in here werent even born when those guys played. You are showing your age now CC
  • thl408
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

Yeah but Hurst also didnt play at all last offseason. I think resigning Key and taking a pass rusher in the mid rounds is the way to go. Top picks need to be spent on a SS and OL

I think I'd rather spend the highest pick on DE, but I understand the draft doesn't always unfold that way in terms of BPA combined with team needs. I'm thinking in terms of positional value and I'd rather have the best DE prospect possible to give the best chance of finding a long term bookend to Bosa.
Interior OL seems like a developmental position. Get a smart, hard worker and coach him up. OT, on the other hand, does require a good athlete so I'm okay spending a day 2 pick there. Safety is becoming more of an important position nowadays but I feel the team can get by with a good pass rush and solid, unspectacular safety play.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Am I missing anyone? Seems there's only room for 1 more player- a speed rusher. Good starters and good depth. Loss of DJ and likely Key will hurt, but D-line should be fine. Its all wide open for us to go in on O-line and DB early and often. Still need Jimmy G to bring another day 2 pick, but they have enough picks to replenish the talent with rookies on low cost deals which is sorely needed now.

Not sure of Omenihu's status but I think he is currently on the roster. He played well in the Dallas game in particular if I recall correctly. Will cost about $2.5 million this year according to Spotrack though. Almost no dead cap so easy to cut.

• thl408
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Kind of wish we would've just brought back Key instead, but I guess we saw Hyder as comparable for much cheaper.

omg how can you forget Dee Ford
This is a pretty bland signing imo. Its ok. We have a few plug n play edge rush bkups. Maybe were setting up a cap move. Hyder signed cheap. Scary cheap.
Good signing
Glad he is back. He is a good rotational guy which gives us some more depth.
welcome back!
Share 49ersWebzone