There are 182 users in the forums

Javon Kinlaw is a Jet!-Pick #14, 2020 NFL Draft.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
Ohhhhh no. Only SF would let a quality OL hit free agency. All quality OL are premium now and have been the last 5 years. They'll be even more after watching SF and KC's OL's in back-to-back Superbowl losses.

There's an overabundance of DT's every year in FA.

And yet the quality DT's make CONSIDERABLY more than the Quality IOL.

Tampa is actually proof IOL are a dime a dozen. A twice cut former 6th rounder can anchor your OL at Center.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Ohhhhh no. Only SF would let a quality OL hit free agency. All quality OL are premium now and have been the last 5 years. They'll be even more after watching SF and KC's OL's in back-to-back Superbowl losses.

There's an overabundance of DT's every year in FA.

And yet the quality DT's make CONSIDERABLY more than the Quality IOL.

Tampa is actually proof IOL are a dime a dozen. A twice cut former 6th rounder can anchor your OL at Center.

It's all about your level of play...not your original draft position. Everyone knows OL takes far longer to learn hence why they rarely hit the market.

PS: Only premier pass rushers. Guys like Suh are on the market every year now though. Not top OL.

Run defending DT's are a dime a dozen. Kinlaw is a run defending DT. Sorry.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 17, 2021 at 2:37 PM ]
Originally posted by evil:
How many FA DT's are consistent pass rushers? How many are entering their prime or still in their prime?

What 3Ts that were FA's last year fit the above criteria and would have been a fit schematically and financially?

I've always specified run defenders. That's what Kinlaw is.

Here's 150 of just the DT's last year: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2020/all/defensive-tackle/

Here's the thread on the cheap ones we all wanted: https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/free-agency/193609-2020-free-agency/
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 17, 2021 at 2:44 PM ]
How many FA DT's are consistent pass rushers? How many are entering their prime or still in their prime?

What 3Ts that were FA's last year fit the above criteria and would have been a fit schematically and financially?

Here's 150 of just the DT's last year: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2020/all/defensive-tackle/

Here's the thread on the cheap ones we all wanted: https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/free-agency/193609-2020-free-agency/

But you know Kinlaw wasn't drafted to be a run defending tackle and is being developed. We were looking to add a disruptive interior DL not a cheap band aid to fill the hole at 3t. We run a scheme dependent on the front four consistently getting pressure.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by okdkid:
These are some peak offseason reaches. This is not comparable.

Oh I didn't imply I wanted him.

Dude you know hard it is find DTs that can give you 1.5 sacks..

It's harder to find a DT that can get more INTs than a FS in 4 years but that's where we are.

Lol so true

Move kinlaw to FS.

But you know Kinlaw wasn't drafted to be a run defending tackle and is being developed. We were looking to add a disruptive interior DL not a cheap band aid to fill the hole at 3t. We run a scheme dependent on the front four consistently getting pressure.

Then they should have drafted a pass rusher that high.

BTW plenty of high quality DT's in that list you ignored.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 17, 2021 at 3:57 PM ]

I don't want to read a long list, I had asked you to provide a list of the consistent pass rushers that can play the 3 every down, and that are entering their prime or in their prime? Also they would have had to fit within the cap space we had.

That list is nonexistent in essence though. No IDL that generates consistent pressure and is in his prime or entering it comes at an affordable price. Kinlaw + Bosa gave the potential for a youthful foundation up front to build around.
It's all about your level of play...not your original draft position. Everyone knows OL takes far longer to learn hence why they rarely hit the market.

PS: Only premier pass rushers. Guys like Suh are on the market every year now though. Not top OL.

Suh hasn't been a premier pass rusher in 4 years. In his prime he commanded the highest salary for a defensive player ever.

Elite run defending DTs still get paid more than the best IOL. League needs your memo apparently.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Feb 17, 2021 at 6:53 PM ]
I predict Kinlaw will make us forget about Buckner after next season. He is my candidate for breakout star next season.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I predict Kinlaw will make us forget about Buckner after next season. He is my candidate for breakout star next season.

Same.

hows his knee injury situation
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Same.

Right now he is a better run defender than a pass rusher but trust me it will even out. He's going to take more of a chris Jones path where it takes him 2-3 years to become a very good interior pass rusher. NC your point is still taken, I just feel he will be a 6-8 sack per year guy consistently
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Same.

Right now he is a better run defender than a pass rusher but trust me it will even out. He's going to take more of a chris Jones path where it takes him 2-3 years to become a very good interior pass rusher. NC your point is still taken, I just feel he will be a 6-8 sack per year guy consistently

Let's hope so. I'd love a dominant front 7 so we can relax a bit on the back end.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Suh hasn't been a premier pass rusher in 4 years. In his prime he commanded the highest salary for a defensive player ever.

Elite run defending DTs still get paid more than the best IOL. League needs your memo apparently.

The league is like the pro bowl. Always a year or two behind until it becomes saturated as a copy cat league. It's those 5-10 teams that "get it."
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 18, 2021 at 4:53 PM ]

I don't want to read a long list, I had asked you to provide a list of the consistent pass rushers that can play the 3 every down, and that are entering their prime or in their prime? Also they would have had to fit within the cap space we had.

That list is nonexistent in essence though. No IDL that generates consistent pressure and is in his prime or entering it comes at an affordable price. Kinlaw + Bosa gave the potential for a youthful foundation up front to build around.

I don't blame you. I read it last year. My point was about the oversaturation of DT's compared to OL where there is clearly a smaller pool of quality talent. #DimeADozen

You have a chance to get a Wirfs over a Kinlaw, you do that every time esp. b/c of massive pool of DT FA's there are...many can't even find work.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 18, 2021 at 4:58 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone