LISTEN: Patriots Preview With WEEI's Nick "Fitzy” & CMC's Germany Trip →

There are 215 users in the forums

Javon Kinlaw is a Jet!-Pick #14, 2020 NFL Draft.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
A big risk when drafted that never was able to stay healthy. You can't wait forever. The only thing I hate about releasing guys like this is the possibility that he suddenly stays healthy and becomes the guy they hoped he would be. That's a long shot so they are better off releasing him. They need the cap space.

We should never have drafted him to begin with. It made about as much sense as drafting Solly back In 2017. Lesson learned, hopefully.

Hindsite. The best draft pick of all time.
A big risk when drafted that never was able to stay healthy. You can't wait forever. The only thing I hate about releasing guys like this is the possibility that he suddenly stays healthy and becomes the guy they hoped he would be. That's a long shot so they are better off releasing him. They need the cap space.

We should never have drafted him to begin with. It made about as much sense as drafting Solly back In 2017. Lesson learned, hopefully.

Yup. Kinlaw was the 2nd best DT behind Derrick Brown. Damn shame they didn't just move AA inside then, but I can get why they didn't think of it. He had a 10 sack season, but I always thought AA would thrive inside based on how he drives guards backwards. He just needs those other defenders to close off the escape paths because he can't chase the QB or keep containment.

We had a historically bad run D at the time and I think the Thomas thing was pure projection. They saw a guy at DT that seemed athletic enough to move around the line.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Yup. Kinlaw was the 2nd best DT behind Derrick Brown. Damn shame they didn't just move AA inside then, but I can get why they didn't think of it. He had a 10 sack season, but I always thought AA would thrive inside based on how he drives guards backwards. He just needs those other defenders to close off the escape paths because he can't chase the QB or keep containment.

We had a historically bad run D at the time and I think the Thomas thing was pure projection. They saw a guy at DT that seemed athletic enough to move around the line.

Well at least Kinlaw didn't cost us one of the greatest QB's of all time (Mahomes) like Solly did.
Originally posted by glorydayz:

Well at least Kinlaw didn't cost us one of the greatest QB's of all time (Mahomes) like Solly did.

Kmowing this board, there would've been a mutiny for overdrafting a QB coming from that Air Raid system.
Trash and has thin skin.

Trading Buckner has been a disaster

Kmowing this board, there would've been a mutiny for overdrafting a QB coming from that Air Raid system.

I mean it could have been an argument.

I suspect Mahomes would have been just fine here. But he wasn't a sure thing coming into the draft as of course virtually no one is. Pretty sure there could have been teams/situations in which had he gone to them and been thrown in the fire right away he may not have busted but he also may not become what he has.
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
Trash and has thin skin.

Trading Buckner has been a disaster

Why doesn't anyone understand that the decision wasn't based on Kinlaw or Buckner? One of Armstead and Buckner were leaving, so they would've taken Kinlaw to fill in for whoever left. They picked Armstead over Buckner because he was cheaper. People just can't get as outraged about that because Armstead is good.

Most would have got over that after the first super bowl win or after the second league MVP.

Mahomes is major hindsight. The Chiefs had the luxury of having a veteran like Alex Smith as a starter so they could roll the dice on a boom/bust guy like Mahomes. The 49ers would never have risked basing their foundation on a QB like that, especially before they had anything built up around him.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Mahomes is major hindsight. The Chiefs had the luxury of having a veteran like Alex Smith as a starter so they could roll the dice on a boom/bust guy like Mahomes. The 49ers would never have risked basing their foundation on a QB like that, especially before they had anything built up around him.

The 49ers would never base their foundation on a boom or bust QB like Mahomes. Instead they would save that gamble for a guy like Trey Lance (3 first round picks) who is a 100% sure thing with 17 college starts.

Grant Cohn looking like a prophet right now.
They did not pick armstead because he was cheaper. They chose to trade Buckner because he had value in a trade. Then they over paid armstead nearly what Buckner got. Then they drafted kinlaw instead of ceedee lamb or Justin Jefferson two guys who will earn the overpay they give aiyuk. JJ went a couple picks before aiyuk. Ceedee went 3 after kinlaw. The draft and off-season in hindsite is as bad as the Solomon and foster draft. Despite aiyuk being a top 25ish WR. JJ is 1 and Ceedee is a pro bowler so top 5-10.

For the record I wanted Watson and Ceedee each of those draft days. So I didn't have the best but I was a helluva lot closer
[ Edited by davidboutte on Feb 21, 2023 at 12:53 AM ]

The Solly pick was a disaster and easy to see as a disaster with the Twin Towers being drafted in the previous two drafts.

The Kinlaw pick looks bad because he was meant to replace Buckner but not a disaster.

It was a huge and obvious mistake to pass on him with the team needs being what they were but that's OK. It happens and it happened in their first draft.

The 49ers would never base their foundation on a boom or bust QB like Mahomes. Instead they would save that gamble for a guy like Trey Lance (3 first round picks) who is a 100% sure thing with 17 college starts.

Yikes - missed the sarcasm :)
[ Edited by 49erKing on Feb 21, 2023 at 6:53 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone