LISTEN: Patriots Preview With WEEI's Nick "Fitzy” & CMC's Germany Trip →

There are 207 users in the forums

Javon Kinlaw is a Jet!-Pick #14, 2020 NFL Draft.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Is this real life? AA has developed into a really really good player. He's what 6'7? He's not going to have a Von Miller get off.

People just love to complain. AA is an awesome player and one of my favorite 49ers to watch on the team. His goalline stand against the Raiders was the DL play of the year, IMO. Threw Kolton Miller's ass out the club, squared up their FB and then took the RB head on without giving an inch.

This!
Can we just release Kinlaw?

He's been rarely available since he's been here and has been a hair better than average.

Save the $$ and spend it elsewhere.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Is this real life? AA has developed into a really really good player. He's what 6'7? He's not going to have a Von Miller get off.

People just love to complain. AA is an awesome player and one of my favorite 49ers to watch on the team. His goalline stand against the Raiders was the DL play of the year, IMO. Threw Kolton Miller's ass out the club, squared up their FB and then took the RB head on without giving an inch.

This!

I weas a critic of Armstead when he came out of Oregon. His line coach at Oregon said A had all the traits needed to be great but Buckner had the bettger motor. That proved to be the case in the NFL. Armsread has gotten better but he's still not as relentless as Buck or a guy like Donald. If he was, the guy would be a real monster.

He's been rarely available since he's been here and has been a hair better than average.

I show him having a $4.9m cap charge in 2023 and that is if he is on roster or cut. So yeah we could release but it would be pretty stupid imo. He will be on the cap regardless. May as well have him here if he is gonna hit our cap.
Did we cut this guy yet?
Originally posted by braap49er:
Did we cut this guy yet?

Not happening folks the cap hit is already there. This would be like buying a lotto ticket and throwing it away when there is gonna be a 2nd drawing. No upside to cut. Don't save one cent.
best we can do is just hope he improves enough this off season to help out. unlikely, but maybe Kocurek works some magic.
Now I know why Shanny was playing him so much at the end of the season...he was trying to pump up the comp pick...
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
A big risk when drafted that never was able to stay healthy. You can't wait forever. The only thing I hate about releasing guys like this is the possibility that he suddenly stays healthy and becomes the guy they hoped he would be. That's a long shot so they are better off releasing him. They need the cap space.

We should never have drafted him to begin with. It made about as much sense as drafting Solly back In 2017. Lesson learned, hopefully.

Hindsite. The best draft pick of all time.
Yup. Kinlaw was the 2nd best DT behind Derrick Brown. Damn shame they didn't just move AA inside then, but I can get why they didn't think of it. He had a 10 sack season, but I always thought AA would thrive inside based on how he drives guards backwards. He just needs those other defenders to close off the escape paths because he can't chase the QB or keep containment.

Originally posted by Sickaa:
A big risk when drafted that never was able to stay healthy. You can't wait forever. The only thing I hate about releasing guys like this is the possibility that he suddenly stays healthy and becomes the guy they hoped he would be. That's a long shot so they are better off releasing him. They need the cap space.

We should never have drafted him to begin with. It made about as much sense as drafting Solly back In 2017. Lesson learned, hopefully.

We had a historically bad run D at the time and I think the Thomas thing was pure projection. They saw a guy at DT that seemed athletic enough to move around the line.

Well at least Kinlaw didn't cost us one of the greatest QB's of all time (Mahomes) like Solly did.

Mahomes is major hindsight. The Chiefs had the luxury of having a veteran like Alex Smith as a starter so they could roll the dice on a boom/bust guy like Mahomes. The 49ers would never have risked basing their foundation on a QB like that, especially before they had anything built up around him.

The 49ers would never base their foundation on a boom or bust QB like Mahomes. Instead they would save that gamble for a guy like Trey Lance (3 first round picks) who is a 100% sure thing with 17 college starts.

Huge difference between year 1 and year 5 of a regime. The 49ers weren't going to take that leap of faith at the start of a rebuild with nothing to fall back on. They were dead set on building the defense first regardless, which is the correct strategy. They just picked the wrong defensive player.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by braap49er:
Did we cut this guy yet?

Not happening folks the cap hit is already there. This would be like buying a lotto ticket and throwing it away when there is gonna be a 2nd drawing. No upside to cut. Don't save one cent.

Saves real cash and opens a roster spot for someone who can hold the point of attack.

Not even.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by illinois9er:
Originally posted by dmax:
dont get me started on that big nothing AA

Please start, curious as to what your issue is with him

I don't enjoy how much slower he is off the line than our other guys
that is false

Nah, I really don't enjoy it, I'm telling the truth
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by illinois9er:
Originally posted by dmax:
dont get me started on that big nothing AA

Please start, curious as to what your issue is with him

I don't enjoy how much slower he is off the line than our other guys
that is false

Doesn't mean I have to enjoy how long it takes his 9 foot body to start moving

I show him having a $4.9m cap charge in 2023 and that is if he is on roster or cut. So yeah we could release but it would be pretty stupid imo. He will be on the cap regardless. May as well have him here if he is gonna hit our cap.

Thanks!!

Thanks!!

I say we move our LG to C and turn Kinlaw to a LG.
Share 49ersWebzone