LISTEN: Patriots Preview With WEEI's Nick "Fitzy” & CMC's Germany Trip →

There are 205 users in the forums

Javon Kinlaw is a Jet!-Pick #14, 2020 NFL Draft.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by irief:
Kocurek shoulders a lot of the blame for drafting Kinlaw. Apparently he was lobbying hard for him in the draft. Hopefully he sticks to being an awesome Dline coach, and leaves the scouting to the pros.

Aside from bad knees, Kinlaw always comes across as unhinged and immature. Not sure how that wasn't a red flag.

Bad scouting

This regime made it 100% clear from the 1st day they took over what their priority was drafting Thomas. They want to have the strongest D line in the league, and they haven't deviated. I don't think they view either draft of Thomas or Kinlaw as a mistake, but are acknowledging that letting Buck go was a mistake, hence the Hargrave signing. I don't think you'd ever see them draft a WR in the first 10 picks. Any and every time we have a high draft pick, look for it to be a D lineman.

Or a quarterback or edge!
[ Edited by English on Mar 14, 2023 at 12:54 PM ]
Originally posted by English:
Kocurek shoulders a lot of the blame for drafting Kinlaw. Apparently he was lobbying hard for him in the draft. Hopefully he sticks to being an awesome Dline coach, and leaves the scouting to the pros.

Aside from bad knees, Kinlaw always comes across as unhinged and immature. Not sure how that wasn't a red flag.

Bad scouting

This regime made it 100% clear from the 1st day they took over what their priority was drafting Thomas. They want to have the strongest D line in the league, and they haven't deviated. I don't think they view either draft of Thomas or Kinlaw as a mistake, but are acknowledging that letting Buck go was a mistake, hence the Hargrave signing. I don't think you'd ever see them draft a WR in the first 10 picks. Any and every time we have a high draft pick, look for it to be a D lineman.

Isn't edge part of the D line?
Definitely a bust but maybe he'll do well coming off the bench and not being expected to start.
Originally posted by English:

Bad scouting

Isn't edge part of the D line?

Unless he is an outside linebacker, I guess so! But quarterbacks aren't lol!
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
If we get Lamb then we don't get Aiyuk. So not really concerned about us missing out on Lamb.

Wasting a pick I don't like, but it is what it is.

Damnit I thought this thread was bumped cause this scrub got traded

No one wants him.
Originally posted by Youngone:
Definitely a bust but maybe he'll do well coming off the bench and not being expected to start.

He gets one more season to prove himself, and maybe that will get him a free agent deal next season. This is provided he can stick with the team through training camp. But I doubt the 49ers will hand over money to this guy, regardless if he turns in a great season. He just hasn't been reliable.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
He gets one more season to prove himself, and maybe that will get him a free agent deal next season. This is provided he can stick with the team through training camp. But I doubt the 49ers will hand over money to this guy, regardless if he turns in a great season. He just hasn't been reliable.

I would be delighted, but very surprised, if Kin has a big season. He sure has the strength, body, desire….but also he has bad knees and I'm not talking about tendinitis. It's the arthritis that is the killer here. Tendinitis can heal… arthritis just gets worse. Once knees are so beat up that arthritis seeps in, you are not going to improve on that much. I guess we could hope the arthritis is bogus, but the way this has played out, i don't think so. This has all the hallmarks of arthritis. And it stays the same en route to getting worse.

If we could trade him, fantastic. Otherwise, this appears just like another Dee Ford…somebody either goofed doing the medical or the F.O got it and took him anyway, just after telling us we were only using "medical" picks in the late rds, 6,7, or 8. Taking him at #14 (or whatever it was) was definitely not what i had understood the F.O was going to do with "medical" picks. This is really disheartening. Kin has all the tools…except…the knees.

People point at Hargrave and say it's to make up for Buckner, but forget that the salary cap situation in 2023, and its future projections, is not the same as it was in 2020. It's not the exact 1:1 situation many are claiming.
[ Edited by captveg on Mar 14, 2023 at 2:41 PM ]
Originally posted by captveg:

People point at Hargrave and say it's to make up for Buckner, but forget that the salary cap situation in 2023, and its future projections, is not the same as it was in 2020. It's not the exact 1:1 situation many are claiming.

I doubt they would have any issue whatsoever giving DeFo the exact same contract they just gave Hargrave if DeFo was a FA. At the end of the day we got a 1st and short term cap relief trading DeFo. We gave up only a future comp pick to get Hargrave.
Originally posted by walker807:

I doubt they would have any issue whatsoever giving DeFo the exact same contract they just gave Hargrave if DeFo was a FA. At the end of the day we got a 1st and short term cap relief trading DeFo. We gave up only a future comp pick to get Hargrave.

Exactly. Because the situation in 2023 is not identical to 2020.

I don't think they view either draft of Thomas or Kinlaw as a mistake

They passed on Mahomes (future HOF QB) for Thomas and passed on Deforest Buckner, Tristan Wirfs, Justin Jefferson for Kinlaw..... of course those were both major mistakes .... if they don't view those as major mistake then they are idiots

Rotational player is all we need.
Originally posted by walker807:

No future comp pick either since Hargrave was cut, and not a FA

An expensive rotational player that has limited availability though.

Niners are looking to trade him and I can't blame them. The price will matter though. We aren't giving him away for a 7th round pick though. I think a 4th might just do it...but I'm not sure any team is gonna give up that for a player with bad knees and who's immature.

Really wanted Kin to succeed, loved him at South Carolina and thought he would be a boss in the NFL.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

An expensive rotational player that has limited availability though.

Niners are looking to trade him and I can't blame them. The price will matter though. We aren't giving him away for a 7th round pick though. I think a 4th might just do it...but I'm not sure any team is gonna give up that for a player with bad knees and who's immature.

Really wanted Kin to succeed, loved him at South Carolina and thought he would be a boss in the NFL.

Expensive????

Look at AA and Gravedigger contracts. Kinlaw is a fraction of the cost, he's still on his rookie deal.

I would keep him until his contract runs out for what he costs.
Share 49ersWebzone