There are 110 users in the forums

Zach Wilson, QB, Denver Broncos

Shop 49ers game tickets

Zach Wilson, QB, Denver Broncos

Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
I don't see how suffering from being rich necessarily leads to affluenza, and if it does, perhaps his pursuit of "more" brought about by his disability has led him to MORE practice, MORE competitiveness, and MORE development/improvement?

Moreover, comparing him to Manziel is flawed on account of the fact that Manziel didn't do much by way of progression reading or pro throws in college. Nor did he demonstrate the same level of skill in the pocket or accuracy as far as I can tell watching old college video of him.

In general, most QB's come from upper middle class to wealthy families. To be able to get to that level you need to maximize your natural abilities so having extra money to spend on top notch coaching and training is essential when you get to the highest levels. You don't see many top tier QB's coming from low income backgrounds. Wilson coming from a very well-to-do-family isn't unique by any stretch of the imagination. Pat Mahomes isn't a dude whose family lacked for money. Mac Jones is coming from a family that is pretty well off, same thing for guys like Baker Mayfield and Justin Herbert.

That in itself isn't a knock but if the guy has issues that alienate him from teammates, that would be a problem. Your QB doesn't have to be a "rah rah" type leader but he does have to be well liked and respected by his teammates. Not saying that is the case with Wilson but from my experience, these reports don't tend to come out of nowhere. There's usually some element of truth to them but its not necessarily a problem depending on the context.

Pat Mahomes was reported to pretty much be a weirdo and kind of an odd dude that teams weren't sure could command a locker room but he can ball the hell out and has been playing at a high level since Day 1 so it didn't matter. Baker Mayfield was reported to have a lot of douchy tendencies but he's a guy that his teammates would apparently crawl across hot coals for so it didn't matter. They freaking loved playing for him so everything else was secondary. Josh Rosen was described as a guy that was overly entitled, kind of douchey and it was questioned just how hungry he was to be great. Those concerns turned out to be right on the money. Matt Leinart was an outstanding QB prospect but was reported to be a guy who loved the QB celebrity party lifestyle far more than he loved the QB grind and study film lifestyle.

The main questions with Wilson will be, just how determined is he to be a great NFL player? Is he someone that truly loves the game or is it just something he enjoys doing because of his natural athletic gifts and the doors they open for him socially and otherwise. Is he going to get into the NFL and grind his ass off to be the best or will he be satisfied simply with getting drafted, knowing that if he fails, he can always fallback on a cushy, well-paid gig from family connections.

Its not just him either, the same applies for a guy like Mac Jones who was perfectly content to be a backup at Bama when he could have been starting elsewhere. Will he be hungry to get better and better consistently, knowing he can still have a pretty chill life outside of football? Does he have true competitive fire or is he the type of dude that would be happy to spend 5-10 years as an NFL backup, enjoy the team environment and then move on to something else?
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by 801niner:

In speaking to a director of college scouting from a NFC team that is in the market for a new quarterback, he outlined the makeup concerns with Wilson:

"Johnny Manziel comp without the [drugs]. [Wilson] is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He's a backyard baller who is fun to watch."

"Someone will grab him in the first [round]. I doubt he gets to the second [round] because once the third quarterback goes, after Lawrence and Fields, there will be a run on them. [Wilson] has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat - uncle owns Jet Blue -, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he's a know-it-all.

"His positives are that he's super competitive, not to get scared and won't back down, extremely confident, very smart with keen recall and teammates will play for him."

To be taken with a grain of salt at this stage. Walter Football has yet to prove themselves as being a reliable source for such information.

Not saying it's a bunch fake news but I am skeptical given the source.

When you're sources are Grant Cohn and Walterfootball

A few things here...I posted that because it caught me off guard. I've watched him since he was freshman in college and never got that know it all feeling from him. A little cocky? For sure, but he has always seemed coachable. Confident but coachable. Hell, they even mentioned it 7489583 times during his games this year, the kid drove 10 hours every weekend to work with John Beck in Cali. Phoenix does make some good points, it's all on him and how driven he is to become better.

Interesting... when I watched the game against Coastal Carolina, to me his team mates weren't really standing up for him when he was getting gang banged. Wonder if it has to do with his attitude.

Originally posted by jimrat:
That's not good, got another Johnny Manziel

I see more Baker Mayfield than Johnny TBH
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by jimrat:
That's not good, got another Johnny Manziel

I see more Baker Mayfield than Johnny TBH

Talking about the article above about him coming from a wealthy family and is not well liked.
No way I'm passing up on a guy because he's cocky, Rodgers was cocky and look where that got that dumb ass Mike Nolan in the long run.
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by jb49ers80:

The number one knock on him seems to be "well he can't do it under pressure. He always does it in a clean pocket."

I see plenty of plays here where he's under pressure...

80%+ of those plays were in a clean pocket. Almost absurdly so, he will not see that in the pros so will he be able to adjust? At this point it's an unknown and that opens the boom or bust door before he's even drafted.

You're implying it's a 50/50 chance. Recent years would suggest there is a 75% chance that he will be a starter for whatever team drafts him into his second contract.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't see how suffering from being rich necessarily leads to affluenza, and if it does, perhaps his pursuit of "more" brought about by his disability has led him to MORE practice, MORE competitiveness, and MORE development/improvement?

Moreover, comparing him to Manziel is flawed on account of the fact that Manziel didn't do much by way of progression reading or pro throws in college. Nor did he demonstrate the same level of skill in the pocket or accuracy as far as I can tell watching old college video of him.

In general, most QB's come from upper middle class to wealthy families. To be able to get to that level you need to maximize your natural abilities so having extra money to spend on top notch coaching and training is essential when you get to the highest levels. You don't see many top tier QB's coming from low income backgrounds. Wilson coming from a very well-to-do-family isn't unique by any stretch of the imagination. Pat Mahomes isn't a dude whose family lacked for money. Mac Jones is coming from a family that is pretty well off, same thing for guys like Baker Mayfield and Justin Herbert.

That in itself isn't a knock but if the guy has issues that alienate him from teammates, that would be a problem. Your QB doesn't have to be a "rah rah" type leader but he does have to be well liked and respected by his teammates. Not saying that is the case with Wilson but from my experience, these reports don't tend to come out of nowhere. There's usually some element of truth to them but its not necessarily a problem depending on the context.

Pat Mahomes was reported to pretty much be a weirdo and kind of an odd dude that teams weren't sure could command a locker room but he can ball the hell out and has been playing at a high level since Day 1 so it didn't matter. Baker Mayfield was reported to have a lot of douchy tendencies but he's a guy that his teammates would apparently crawl across hot coals for so it didn't matter. They freaking loved playing for him so everything else was secondary. Josh Rosen was described as a guy that was overly entitled, kind of douchey and it was questioned just how hungry he was to be great. Those concerns turned out to be right on the money. Matt Leinart was an outstanding QB prospect but was reported to be a guy who loved the QB celebrity party lifestyle far more than he loved the QB grind and study film lifestyle.

The main questions with Wilson will be, just how determined is he to be a great NFL player? Is he someone that truly loves the game or is it just something he enjoys doing because of his natural athletic gifts and the doors they open for him socially and otherwise. Is he going to get into the NFL and grind his ass off to be the best or will he be satisfied simply with getting drafted, knowing that if he fails, he can always fallback on a cushy, well-paid gig from family connections.

Its not just him either, the same applies for a guy like Mac Jones who was perfectly content to be a backup at Bama when he could have been starting elsewhere. Will he be hungry to get better and better consistently, knowing he can still have a pretty chill life outside of football? Does he have true competitive fire or is he the type of dude that would be happy to spend 5-10 years as an NFL backup, enjoy the team environment and then move on to something else?

Fair points. And to this day, Mahomes eats his steak with ketchup, so he's definitely a goober if there ever was one. I don't know why that made people question his leadership, though. He was a big ol' Texas boy. They're all leaders there.

But... regarding Wilson and whether or not he has a desire for greatness, he certainly had enough of that to drastically improve over his college years. His TD to INT ration when from 11:9 to 10:1. He definitely got a lot better. Will it continue? Who knows.

But I'd say he's a very safe bet for a first round pick. In fact, I'd say at least the top three QBs taken are safe bets with at least a 75% chance of success, because that's been the trend the last half decade or so.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by 801niner:

In speaking to a director of college scouting from a NFC team that is in the market for a new quarterback, he outlined the makeup concerns with Wilson:

"Johnny Manziel comp without the [drugs]. [Wilson] is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He's a backyard baller who is fun to watch."

"Someone will grab him in the first [round]. I doubt he gets to the second [round] because once the third quarterback goes, after Lawrence and Fields, there will be a run on them. [Wilson] has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat - uncle owns Jet Blue -, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he's a know-it-all.

"His positives are that he's super competitive, not to get scared and won't back down, extremely confident, very smart with keen recall and teammates will play for him."

To be taken with a grain of salt at this stage. Walter Football has yet to prove themselves as being a reliable source for such information.

Not saying it's a bunch fake news but I am skeptical given the source.

When you're sources are Grant Cohn and Walterfootball

A self entitled grommet brat like Grant Cohn outing a college QB as a self entitled grommet brat. Takes one to know one
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Interesting... when I watched the game against Coastal Carolina, to me his team mates weren't really standing up for him when he was getting gang banged. Wonder if it has to do with his attitude.

Interesting, can't be that everyone's eyes were on the ball during the interception return. Sure explains #53 coming from the sidelines to start the brawl after getting gang banged, way to have his back team

Fair points. And to this day, Mahomes eats his steak with ketchup, so he's definitely a goober if there ever was one. I don't know why that made people question his leadership, though. He was a big ol' Texas boy. They're all leaders there.

But... regarding Wilson and whether or not he has a desire for greatness, he certainly had enough of that to drastically improve over his college years. His TD to INT ration when from 11:9 to 10:1. He definitely got a lot better. Will it continue? Who knows.

But I'd say he's a very safe bet for a first round pick. In fact, I'd say at least the top three QBs taken are safe bets with at least a 75% chance of success, because that's been the trend the last half decade or so.

Originally posted by davide49:
Originally posted by steiber:
That TD throw was better than any we've seen from a 49er QB in 4 years

Guess you missed the game in AZ last year. Or the throw to Pettis in the end zone against the Vikings week 1 2018. Two quick examples off the top of my head.

Angles, Angles, Angles. Dude threw some darts vs. UCF that we simply havent seen in years.
Originally posted by 4thandlong:
he looks like a member of cobra kai

Haha yes please throw out some nonsense about him being a horrible person...drop him down the board
Heard he skipped some religion classes and drinks coffee on Friday nights
Share 49ersWebzone