There are 164 users in the forums

Zach Wilson, QB, Denver Broncos

Shop 49ers game tickets

Zach Wilson, QB, Denver Broncos

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by 49ERnation:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
How pissed would you guys be if Wilson dropped to us in the draft just for us to trade back and someone else pick him up? Jerry jeudy was a fan favorite last year and we had two shots at him if I remember correctly haha

Cant be really mad at passing on Jeudy because they had their eyes on Aiyuk instead and that turned out good. Now if they pass on Wilson and still don't take a qb that's a different story or if they take someone else it'll be frustrating but we have to wait to judge like we did with Aiyuk.

I can see them trading back for Mac Jones and picking up an offensive lineman with the extra pick
I agree on the trade back. If the top 4 are gone by the time the Niners pick I would move back to the 20s, draft Jones, and pick up an additional 2nd rd pick. With 2 second round picks the Niners can address CB and OL.

I think if you trade back that far you better have a back up plan if it's the QB you want that's a big gamble.
A lot can happen between 10 and 20's pick.
How pissed would you guys be if Wilson dropped to us in the draft just for us to trade back and someone else pick him up? Jerry jeudy was a fan favorite last year and we had two shots at him if I remember correctly haha

Cant be really mad at passing on Jeudy because they had their eyes on Aiyuk instead and that turned out good. Now if they pass on Wilson and still don't take a qb that's a different story or if they take someone else it'll be frustrating but we have to wait to judge like we did with Aiyuk.

I can see them trading back for Mac Jones and picking up an offensive lineman with the extra pick
I agree on the trade back. If the top 4 are gone by the time the Niners pick I would move back to the 20s, draft Jones, and pick up an additional 2nd rd pick. With 2 second round picks the Niners can address CB and OL.

I think if you trade back that far you better have a back up plan if it's the QB you want that's a big gamble.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Yah it did soften the blow of not getting Juedy when they traded down to get Aiyuk. The only QB I like in the 1st round besides Trevor, Fields and Wilson is Trey Lance. I don't think he makes it to the 9ers though.

Yup, for me it's either Wilson or Lance. If we lose out and pick around 8-9 I think Lance can be there but I prefer to trade up if they feel they no doubt think a guy can be a franchise changer just to ensure they get their guy and no one jumps in front of them.
I think the cost to move all the way up to #2 is going to be very high. Would you give up our 1st and 2nd this year and our 1st next year to get Wilson? It could cost that much and maybe more.

If we lose to Arizona and Seattle it might not

If we end up 8th we might get away with trading two 1sts and two 3rds (and the 2021 one is going to be very late, right in between the 3rd/4th rounds).
[ Edited by Fanaticofnfl on Dec 24, 2020 at 11:57 AM ]
I don't like trading up to get him, at all. It requires significant draft capital, and if he's a bust he sets the franchise back years.

If we stand pat or move a few spots up for some moderate capital, sure.

We aren't even in chiefs situation now when they traded up to get mahomes. We have no cap room and we desperately need to hit on every draft pick we have. It's a do or die years draft-wise and we cant possibly afford to have a catastrophic draft.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
I don't like trading up to get him, at all. It requires significant draft capital, and if he's a bust he sets the franchise back years.

We aren't even in chiefs situation now when they traded up to get mahomes. We have no cap room and we desperately need to hit on every draft pick we have. It's a do or die years draft-wise and we cant possibly afford to have a catastrophic draft.

If anything, our cap situation is exactly why we SHOULD do this.

How do you feel about Jimmy G? Do you think he's okay, pretty good, great, etc.?

Do you think most QB's are capable of doing what he does in Kyle's system? I think so. We spent the two most important games ever played at Levi's handing the ball off a bunch of times. Anybody can do that. That's why I don't mind putting in a promising rookie QB in his place. Especially one that can do things Jimmy can't and hopefully won't get injured as often.

And if we switch from Jimmy to a rookie, we save about $20M in cap space this year. Much easier to re-sign Trent Williams and a few others.

It's really not the worst idea IMHO. But Kyle/Lynch have to be comfortable with whomever they're trading up for, whether it's Wilson, Fields or Lance.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

How do you feel about Jimmy G? Do you think he's okay, pretty good, great, etc.?

Do you think most QB's are capable of doing what he does in Kyle's system? I think so. We spent the two most important games ever played at Levi's handing the ball off a bunch of times. Anybody can do that. That's why I don't mind putting in a promising rookie QB in his place. Especially one that can do things Jimmy can't and hopefully won't get injured as often.

And if we switch from Jimmy to a rookie, we save about $20M in cap space this year. Much easier to re-sign Trent Williams and a few others.

It's really not the worst idea IMHO. But Kyle/Lynch have to be comfortable with whomever they're trading up for, whether it's Wilson, Fields or Lance.

Very true.

However I'd still be down with cutting Jimmy and trading for Stafford if Wilson is unrealistic.
Will we really get two 3rd rounders for saleh if he leaves?
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rathman4481:

Yes after the comp picks in those rounds
Originally posted by okdkid:

How?

Nvm. Searched it
[ Edited by krizay on Dec 24, 2020 at 2:51 PM ]
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by okdkid:

How?

Because if a team hires a minority coach from another team, the team he came from gets comp picks.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-owners-pass-resolution-rewarding-teams-for-developing-minority-coaches-execs

Originally posted by Oilcan:

New England is setting there licking there chops!
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Originally posted by Oilcan:

New England is setting there licking there chops!
If we pass on Wilson and BB picks him up, watch him build another dynasty. Shanahan would look like an idiot for passing him up. I hope we make the trade up for him that was suggested because he seems to have it all.

Willing to cut Jimmy G (which I am) doesn't necessarily mean we have to give up multiple big picks to trade up.

So I don't really agree with that logic. Even if we cut Jimmy, we have very little cap space. Fred Warner must be signed and Nick Bosa in a year will need a monster extension.

Willing to cut Jimmy G (which I am) doesn't necessarily mean we have to give up multiple big picks to trade up.

So I don't really agree with that logic. Even if we cut Jimmy, we have very little cap space. Fred Warner must be signed and Nick Bosa in a year will need a monster extension.

Having a good, rookie QB on a cheap deal will only make extending Bosa easier when the time comes. We have at least 3 more years before we have to do it though if you count his 5th year option. That would also be a perk if we make a move up for Wilson (5th year option). I just hope Shanahan will do it, not just sit around and watch as other teams make moves to upgrade their QB but we don't.
Originally posted by PuckFarag10:
Having a good, rookie QB on a cheap deal will only make extending Bosa easier when the time comes. We have at least 3 more years before we have to do it though if you count his 5th year option. That would also be a perk if we make a move up for Wilson (5th year option). I just hope Shanahan will do it, not just sit around and watch as other teams make moves to upgrade their QB but we don't.

We'll painfully watch as we roll with Jimmy and trade up for some scrub nobody is talking about in the 3rd round because he's "tough as s**t". Meanwhile, the top rookie QBs have solid years and look like future FQBs and Jimmy is hurt by game 3
Share 49ersWebzone