George Kittle, Charvarius Ward join 49ers injury list ahead of clash with Rams →

There are 134 users in the forums

Zach Wilson, QB, Denver Broncos

Shop 49ers game tickets

Zach Wilson, QB, Denver Broncos

Originally posted by proniner1:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Watch the Jets take Fields and Kyle still takes Jones over Wilson. This place will riot.

from joy to sadness in 10 minute span... lol

Simms knows everything Shanahan would do right? If Jets take Fields surely Kyle would take his buddy's #1 rated QB.
Is Zach Wilson more pro ready than Justin Fields? By getting rid of Darnold, they are putting whomever they take to be the starter. I feel like Fields is the better fit for the Jets to have him start early, and Wilson is a better fit to sit behind Garoppolo with no pressure, until the right opportunity presents itself. Still trying to convince myself Wilson falls to 3. Jets should bring in Robert Griffin as a bridge and draft Fields. Wilson should sit behind Jimmy for at least a few games, unless we trade Jimmy. If we do, I'd rather it be a trade deadline trade anyway for a team desperate to overpay. I'll still be happy with Fields. No to Lance for me, and I would be upset but have faith with Mac Jones. Wilson is who I want though. Field's is not far behind though, and I am just happy to be in a position where I don't think we could possibly mess this up.
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Is Zach Wilson more pro ready than Justin Fields? By getting rid of Darnold, they are putting whomever they take to be the starter. I feel like Fields is the better fit for the Jets to have him start early, and Wilson is a better fit to sit behind Garoppolo with no pressure, until the right opportunity presents itself. Still trying to convince myself Wilson falls to 3. Jets should bring in Robert Griffin as a bridge and draft Fields. Wilson should sit behind Jimmy for at least a few games, unless we trade Jimmy. If we do, I'd rather it be a trade deadline trade anyway for a team desperate to overpay. I'll still be happy with Fields. No to Lance for me, and I would be upset but have faith with Mac Jones. Wilson is who I want though. Field's is not far behind though, and I am just happy to be in a position where I don't think we could possibly mess this up.

The Jets have a new coach. They are rebuilding. No expectations that they have make the playoffs this year, so being a pro ready QB day 1 isn't too much of a need. the QB will gain experience. The 49ers however do have expectations this year. People are saying Garoppolo will start. Remains to be seen. But if he isn't with the team, the 49ers better have a an NFL ready QB day 1.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
If you believe the great Steve Young, this is who the 49ers are praying the Jets pass on, but doesn't seem likely.
Originally posted by FL9er:
If you believe the great Steve Young, this is who the 49ers are praying the Jets pass on, but doesn't seem likely.

My only question is, if Wilson wasn't playing at BYU but say....Boise State or New Mexico, would Young be this exuberant in praising him? I'm skeptical personally.

https://www.deseret.com/2021/4/13/22375628/new-york-jets-should-give-byu-quarterback-zach-wilson-a-break-nfl-draft?fbclid=IwAR0HOn7RA6WJmP7WasHLjJAo4inAtsA4r0nVGbKkLM3CN8rvBq6hG4YRf0E
This guy will probably be the only successful one it out the bunch
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

I don't understand your pessimism regarding this QB class. We have the best landing spot for a QB I can remember in the history of the league.

Amazing play caller, Superbowl roster with young, talented pass catchers, great run game, strong D and decent O-Line, what's not to like?

Most rookies who fail do so due to the situation they're thrust into where they're expected to carry a bad organisation, granted there are the few who just don't work hard enough or don't have enough talent, but it's usually the situation.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

I don't understand your pessimism regarding this QB class. We have the best landing spot for a QB I can remember in the history of the league.

Amazing play caller, Superbowl roster with young, talented pass catchers, great run game, strong D and decent O-Line, what's not to like?

Most rookies who fail do so due to the situation they're thrust into where they're expected to carry a bad organisation, granted there are the few who just don't work hard enough or don't have enough talent, but it's usually the situation.

The odds are against us. Most qbs who go this high tend to not reach the level of expectation. For every mahommes and Josh allen, you have rosen, trubisky, darnold jamarcus

If you look at some of the greatest qbs of all time, they weren't selected top 3. Elway and manning come to mind. But other than that, brady was a 6th rounder, montana was 3rd, rodgers was late first, Marino was late first, favre was 2nd, brees was 2nd rounder. The draft is such a crapshoot that unless someone is a generational talent, you don't give up picks. I'm of of the mindset of accumulating as many picks you can and draft well. Call me crazy, but I would have preferred two mid round qbs like mond and mills as opposed to one top 3 qb because there's no exact science to the draft. Just look at the cousins rg3 draft. You just can't predict.

So I'm not saying they'll all be busts, in saying the gamble, in my mind, wasn't the right move.

Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

The odds are against us. Most qbs who go this high tend to not reach the level of expectation. For every mahommes and Josh allen, you have rosen, trubisky, darnold jamarcus

If you look at some of the greatest qbs of all time, they weren't selected top 3. Elway and manning come to mind. But other than that, brady was a 6th rounder, montana was 3rd, rodgers was late first, Marino was late first, favre was 2nd, brees was 2nd rounder. The draft is such a crapshoot that unless someone is a generational talent, you don't give up picks. I'm of of the mindset of accumulating as many picks you can and draft well. Call me crazy, but I would have preferred two mid round qbs like mond and mills as opposed to one top 3 qb because there's no exact science to the draft. Just look at the cousins rg3 draft. You just can't predict.

So I'm not saying they'll all be busts, in saying the gamble, in my mind, wasn't the right move.

Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion, but I'll leave you with this. There's nothing worse in the NFL for a Franchise as having a GOOD QB (typically one found later as you say) a good QB leaves you drafting too low get one of these "generational talent" type QB, but who isn't good enough to consistently win with.

Conversely a terrible QB is actually better as you generally get a shot at the next "generational talent"

The issue with that is it usually gets a lot of people fired.

I subscribe to the theory that you should swing hard at QB until you find your generational guy, we've taken the first such swing in a long time and I applaud it.

You realize why that is right? No better way than to ruin a talented prospect than to put him on a bad team and force him to do it all on his own.

We really have no business picking this high. Just how we lucked into Bosa we may be lucking into a franchise QB our talent would normally never let us near if not for the crazy injuries last season...and it still required a big trade up to get there.

We have the coaching(Kyle doesn't have to worry about changing the system if his OC leaves)
We have the roster. Great pass catchers, solid OL(hopefully right side steps up in pass pro) and a great defense which can help ease in the rookie without having him be the hero.

It's a terrific situation for a young QB. If any teams are at risk it's Jags and Jets. Urban never coaching in the NFL and one foot back into retirement. Saleh should be great for the Jets but if LaFleur gets a HC gig soon they're screwed. Not to mention the talent isn't close to what we have on the rosters.
Originally posted by genus49:

You realize why that is right? No better way than to ruin a talented prospect than to put him on a bad team and force him to do it all on his own.

We really have no business picking this high. Just how we lucked into Bosa we may be lucking into a franchise QB our talent would normally never let us near if not for the crazy injuries last season...and it still required a big trade up to get there.

We have the coaching(Kyle doesn't have to worry about changing the system if his OC leaves)
We have the roster. Great pass catchers, solid OL(hopefully right side steps up in pass pro) and a great defense which can help ease in the rookie without having him be the hero.

It's a terrific situation for a young QB. If any teams are at risk it's Jags and Jets. Urban never coaching in the NFL and one foot back into retirement. Saleh should be great for the Jets but if LaFleur gets a HC gig soon they're screwed. Not to mention the talent isn't close to what we have on the rosters.

I can agree with this. I've accepted the trade. I just hope they pick the right guy. I have my preference, but I'm not going to be mad at whoever select, including jones. They made this trade, they had someone in mind. I can't judge until we see the long term result
any reputable sources saying this guy is a lock to the Jets? Schefter?
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
any reputable sources saying this guy is a lock to the Jets? Schefter?
Wilson is as much as a lock to the Jets as Jones is a lock to the 49ers
Share 49ersWebzone