LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Zach Wilson, QB, Denver Broncos

Shop 49ers game tickets

Zach Wilson, QB, Denver Broncos

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by FL9er:
I know Pat Mahomes was used to describe Wilson's play style, but I also see a little Carson Wentz in him too.

I see less douchy Baker Mayfield.

He has a MUCH better arm imo. Talent wise I've seen him comped to Carr, whom I was a big fan of at Fresno state. Think he's a bit more athletic but arm talent wise, I agree.

Shanahan was a big fan of Carr during that draft.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
That's actually my comp as well so far for him.
I do think Wentz arm was a bit stronger.

I think the negatives havent been touched much here, just the highlights or positives.
So I'll start.

Mechanics seem all over the place. Now, Mahomes mechanics arent pretty either, but Mahomes has a stronger arm.
Decisions can be a bit shaky.
Hasn't shown elite NFL-level accuracy of ball placement on intermediate throws. Something that was Jimmy's bread and butter last year and in 2017
Arm-reliant a bit too much
Tries to do too much sometimes, again too arm-reliant.
Not much defense reading or progression
Not too much shown on throws when under duress, stepping up and taking a hit while throwing.

I do think that his stock is rising like crazy and I think we will have to trade up to get him.

Like genus said seeing him making passes under pressure haven't been shown too much. He seems to escape pressure and can make throws at all levels on the run. I would like to see him in a muddy pocket and throwing it a little more. Kinda is what it is at the college level.

I think he's very accurate and makes a ton of nfl caliber throws. Again on all kinds of platforms. Like Jimmy his mechanics or flawless, big difference is his arm talent makes up for it. Jimmy doesn't have that type of arm.

I also kinda disagree Jimmy was accurate on intermediate throws last year.

Vision is a huge difference between the two. Wilson by far better at this.
Will need to move up big time to draft him. He's top 10 no doubt. Wouldn't be shocked if he went top 5.

Based off all of the s**t teams picking I can see a ton of QB's going in the first rd, especially high
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wailers15:
Will need to move up big time to draft him. He's top 10 no doubt. Wouldn't be shocked if he went top 5.

Based off all of the s**t teams picking I can see a ton of QB's going in the first rd, especially high

Yeah, we're probably going to have to be picking top 10 and even then we might need to trade up.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Yeah, we're probably going to have to be picking top 10 and even then we might need to trade up.

move up for him or Lance. Toss in a 2022 1st and let's get to work
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by mayo49:

move up for him or Lance. Toss in a 2022 1st and let's get to work

Yeah, let's get to it. We need to get our franchise QB while the team is still young.
Looking at what the Eagles gave up to move from 8 to 2 for Wentz - I would have no problem making a similar deal to go from 10-11 to around 4-5 if our guy is there.

Tired of having the 4th best QB in the division. Being content with 4th isn't enough.

Need the cap space, need the QB, need to re-sign key guys.

Three birds, one stone.
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
Looking at what the Eagles gave up to move from 8 to 2 for Wentz - I would have no problem making a similar deal to go from 10-11 to around 4-5 if our guy is there.

Tired of having the 4th best QB in the division. Being content with 4th isn't enough.

Three birds, one stone.

• mayo49
  • Veteran

Three birds, one stone.

Like NY said - throw in a '22 first rounder and get to work.
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for kansasninerfan.
No. Steve Young didn't and he's a direct descendant of Brigham Young. Ty Detmer didn't either. From what I've read, Wilson isn't a super dedicated Mormon and he has no plans on going on mission.

thnx bro

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Three birds, one stone.

That was exactly the type of trade I had in my mind. I believe the Rams went from 12 to 1 to get Goff too. I mean if you can't go to 1, then try for 2 or 3 that would secure a chance at one of the top QB's. But I doubt Lynch gets that aggressive in the draft.

Like I said, if the plan is to move on from Jimmy in the off season then do it right and go all out like the Rams and Eagles did.
Originally posted by FL9er:
I know Pat Mahomes was used to describe Wilson's play style, but I also see a little Carson Wentz in him too.

I see less douchy Baker Mayfield.

That's my comparison as well. But shoot, wouldn't be mad at all if his ceiling was Mahomes.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We got to some how get Wilson.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
That was exactly the type of trade I had in my mind. I believe the Rams went from 12 to 1 to get Goff too. I mean if you can't go to 1, then try for 2 or 3 that would secure a chance at one of the top QB's. But I doubt Lynch gets that aggressive in the draft.

Like I said, if the plan is to move on from Jimmy in the off season then do it right and go all out like the Rams and Eagles did.

I don't know if the 49ers have the draft capital to move up that far unless they trade their 2021 and 2022 1st rounders and 2nd rounders. That's a lot to give up even for a prospect like Lawrence. If he ends up not being the answer or worse, ends up getting injured a lot then you're screwed for 2 years in the draft and are still looking for a QB. Of course you also need the team with the 1st pick to be willing to make the trade. In the Jets case, they could use all the picks but they would never hear the end of it if they traded away the opportunity to get the next Peyton Manning. Niner fans still complain that they didn't take Mahomes even though he wasn't nearly the prospect that Lawrence is.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Nov 9, 2020 at 8:15 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I don't know if the 49ers have the draft capital to move up that far unless they trade their 2021 and 2022 1st rounders and 2nd rounders. That's a lot to give up even for a prospect like Lawrence. If he ends up not being the answer or worse, ends up getting injured a lot then you're screwed for 2 years in the draft and are still looking for a QB. Of course you also need the team with the 1st pick to be willing to make the trade. In the Jets case, they could use all the picks but they would never hear the end of it if they traded away the opportunity to get the next Peyton Manning. Niner fans still complain that they didn't take Mahomes even though he wasn't nearly the prospect that Lawrence is.

Sometimes it's the moves you don't make that hurt you. That's what I say. I can't remember the last time the 9ers were that aggressive in the draft. Sure it's gonna take two arms and a leg, but Lawrence with this offense and it's Clemson dominance all over again!!!
Share 49ersWebzone