There are 189 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Pats fans may not admit this but I doubt they would be as happy with this pick if they traded multiple picks for Jones or that they drafted Jones with still Lance or Fields on the board. They would have had the same issues and concerns as we did with taking Jones. So Pats got the right QB for their team considering they didn't give up any draft capital and that all the other top QB's were taken. And we got the right QB for our team considering what we gave up. Mac is the type of QB you don't trade alot of draft capital for. You take him when he falls into your lap and the options are limited.
Originally posted by Jcool:
A good pocket passer always wins.

Peyton Manning got owned by Seattle 43-8!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

In college.........we will see if it translates to the NFL.
Originally posted by TD49ers:

~10% of expected NFL QB starters are from that picture /roster
Bama 19 on offense had the following drafted:
2 top 15 QBs
4 top 15 WRs
1st round RB
2 tackles in the top 17
2nd round center
Everyone always uses Tom Brady as an example of how those type of QB's are still the type that wins using last season as proof. Did Brady really play that good in the playoffs? He wasn't that good vs the WFT and he was awful vs the Saints. He did everything in his power to make sure the Bucs lost that game but their defense was having none of it. And the SB he played decent but it was again the Bucs defense that were the MVP of that game. Also they made sure to surround Brady with as much talent as possible. Gave him a top 3 OLine, Gave him a bunch of weapons, Gave him a top Defense. So sure a Brady type QB can have alot of success in today's NFL but you need to surround him with a bunch of talent because he won't carry a team. The question is do the Pats have enough talent in all aspects of their game? Maybe but we will see. They do lack a #1 WR and their RB's aren't that impressive. They should have a decent enough defense.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Everyone always uses Tom Brady as an example of how those type of QB's are still the type that wins using last season as proof. Did Brady really play that good in the playoffs? He wasn't that good vs the WFT and he was awful vs the Saints. He did everything in his power to make sure the Bucs lost that game but their defense was having none of it. And the SB he played decent but it was again the Bucs defense that were the MVP of that game. Also they made sure to surround Brady with as much talent as possible. Gave him a top 3 OLine, Gave him a bunch of weapons, Gave him a top Defense. So sure a Brady type QB can have alot of success in today's NFL but you need to surround him with a bunch of talent because he won't carry a team. The question is do the Pats have enough talent in all aspects of their game? Maybe but we will see. They do lack a #1 WR and their RB's aren't that impressive. They should have a decent enough defense.

Their defense appears set to be very good, TE's are going to be very good assuming they stay healthy, WR's are mediocre at best, OL is looking very good, RB game should be good with Harris, Michel and Stevenson. Whether its Cam or Mac, really the QB's will be asked to just not f**k up and make the plays when they are there to be made. I don't think McDaniels is on the same level as Kyle when it comes to scheming guys open but I don't think he's that far behind either.
I just have a nasty gut feeling the pats are going to dominate again. Their defense is set. They have reloaded. Their coaching staff won multiple superbowls. They have a qb that can win in the right situation. ok going to go vomit now.
[ Edited by JoseCortez on May 8, 2021 at 5:47 PM ]
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I just have a nasty gut feeling the pats are going to dominate again. Their defense is set. They have reloaded. Their coaching staff won multiple superbowls. They have a qb that can win in the right situation. ok going to go vomit now.

They are not our issue. They are in the other conference and I don't really care how Jones does aslong as we get what we expect from Lance.

Originally posted by JTB1974:

They are not our issue. They are in the other conference and I don't really care how Jones does aslong as we get what we expect from Lance.

Their OL is good and their defense will be good with starters back and BB still coaching. That being said, their WR are not even close at what Mac had at college. He went from Devonta Smith and Waddle to Agholor and Bourne.

9-8 or 8-9 record
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
And what does that have to do with your previous point?

That a complete team with physically ordinary QBs can beat even the "Super QBs." Belichick was running defenses that were giving Bill Walsh trouble in the 80s and he's only gotten better since. If he can build a high end defense again in New England, he won't need a "Super QB" for his teams to be successful.

That's the point though. You need a complete team and an all time great coach around that kind of QB. And even then - Only Tom Brady has been able to win championships by strictly staying in the pocket in recent times. Look at the playoffs teams - it is consistently mobile QBs who can get out of the pocket or run for big yards who are usually there.

...it's bc you can win with lesser talent with these multi-skilled QBs. You've more room error. Obviously - Kyle feels he would have 2 SBs if he had a mobile QB - hence the decision to go get a mobile QB over 2 statues.
[ Edited by 4ML on May 8, 2021 at 11:58 PM ]
Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
And what does that have to do with your previous point?

That a complete team with physically ordinary QBs can beat even the "Super QBs." Belichick was running defenses that were giving Bill Walsh trouble in the 80s and he's only gotten better since. If he can build a high end defense again in New England, he won't need a "Super QB" for his teams to be successful.

That's the point though. You need a complete team and an all time great coach around that kind of QB. And even then - Only Tom Brady has been able to win championships by strictly staying in the pocket in recent times. Look at the playoffs teams - it is consistently mobile QBs who can get out of the pocket or run for big yards who are usually there.

...it's bc you can win with lesser talent with these multi-skilled QBs. You've more room error. Obviously - Kyle feels he would have 2 SBs if he had a mobile QB - hence the decision to go get a mobile QB over 2 statues.

I'm sure Kyle feels he would have won have 2 SB's if he had a healthy Alex Mack in both games.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by TD49ers:

~10% of expected NFL QB starters are from that picture /roster

I'm not sold on any of those 3. That could be 3 busts standing there.
Share 49ersWebzone