There are 247 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I'd rather have someone who studies his ass off than someone who relies on his athleticism. It just just shows me dedication also.

Do you think it's one or the other? Lol. We got the smartest QB in the draft who is extremely athletic with an incredible arm. Glad settle for a middling physical talent just because he likes studying (which I grant he has to make up for lack of everything else with the mental side)
I think the two things we know for sure about Mac Jones in the eyes of NFL decision makers is that:

1) The Patriots liked Mac Jones, which is why they drafted him. They didn't love Mac Jones or they would've packaged something to move up a few spots - especially after Fields went at 11 and QB needy teams in the teens / twenties at risk to move up. Almost no one projected him to last to 15 and teams don't haphazardly chance it when it comes to missing out on YOUR franchise qb.

2) No team with a remote QB need LOVED Mac Jones. He simply wouldn't have fallen to 15 if that was the case - a team picking ahead would've taken him over a different position player or team picking behind would've packaged either a 2 or future 1 to move up.
[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on May 12, 2021 at 4:13 PM ]
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by BamaNiner:
Brees? Brady? Mannings?

Literally all of these players had better arms than Mac coming out of school lol

Ok. Still doesn't change what I responded to. You said "physically elite" which none of those guys are.
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
I think the two things we know for sure about Mac Jones in the eyes of NFL decision makers is that:

1) The Patriots liked Mac Jones, which is why they drafted him. They didn't love Mac Jones or they would've packaged something to move up a few spots - especially after Fields went at 11 and QB needy teams in the teens / twenties at risk to move up. Almost no one projected him to last to 15 and teams don't haphazardly chance it when it comes to missing out on YOUR franchise qb.

2) No team with a remote QB need LOVED Mac Jones. He simply wouldn't have fallen to 15 if that was the case - a team picking ahead would've taken him over a different position player or team picking behind would've packaged either a 2 or future 1 to move up.

It will be fun to see if he plays against Tom Brady Week 4.
I'd rather have someone who studies his ass off than someone who relies on his athleticism. It just just shows me dedication also.

Do you think it's one or the other? Lol. We got the smartest QB in the draft who is extremely athletic with an incredible arm. Glad settle for a middling physical talent just because he likes studying (which I grant he has to make up for lack of everything else with the mental side)

Yes I get it. We have the perfect specimen of a qb. He will win 18 superbowls. We are not worthy.

Can we watch him develop first. It's pretty pathetic that the fan base had already anointed him the next Jesus Christ.
Originally posted by BamaNiner:
Ok. Still doesn't change what I responded to. You said "physically elite" which none of those guys are.

A great arm is part of being physically elite. It's not just being able to run. Mac can't run and has an average at best NFL arm.
Yes I get it. We have the perfect specimen of a qb. He will win 18 superbowls. We are not worthy.

Can we watch him develop first. It's pretty pathetic that the fan base had already anointed him the next Jesus Christ.

Sounds like you are upset we didn't get an unathletic, average armed QB at 3.... I'm not sure why though? Skipping on Mac at 3 and taking someone with great potential is a positive. It's ok to be excited!

Sounds like you are upset we didn't get an unathletic, average armed QB at 3.... I'm not sure why though? Skipping on Mac at 3 and taking someone with great potential is a positive. It's ok to be excited!

It's ok to be excited. It's not ok to have these unrealistic expectations. If he's the next mahommes great.but saying he's the smartest most athletic qb sets him up to unattainable standards.

It's ok to be excited. It's not ok to have these unrealistic expectations. If he's the next mahommes great.but saying he's the smartest most athletic qb sets him up to unattainable standards.

Calm down. There will be plenty of time for doubt. Maybe let 49ers fans enjoy the moment, it being off-season after all?
Originally posted by English:

Calm down. There will be plenty of time for doubt. Maybe let 49ers fans enjoy the moment, it being off-season after all?

This! Thanks English! So many people poo pooing on our draft class like it's not okay for us fans to be excited about them

That's the thing right there. If Bill loved Jones so much why didn't he trade up to make sure he got him? Even the fans knew the Giants might trade out of the 11 spot once they lost out on Smith, So I assume Bill must have thought that also. And then the Vikings 1 spot ahead of Pats decided to trade down. It was like Bill was saying if Mac is still there, Great. But if he isn't, no big deal.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
That's the thing right there. If Bill loved Jones so much why didn't he trade up to make sure he got him? Even the fans knew the Giants might trade out of the 11 spot once they lost out on Smith, So I assume Bill must have thought that also. And then the Vikings 1 spot ahead of Pats decided to trade down. It was like Bill was saying if Mac is still there, Great. But if he isn't, no big deal.

Nvm he went at 11.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on May 13, 2021 at 5:38 AM ]

What are the unrealistic expectations? Every fanbase for every player is going to have some outliers and fans going overboard. Most of the stuff here and all around is high expectations and the mahomes comparison has more been the "let an extremely talened player sit for a year and learn, then see what happens" not "oh for sure this guy is going to be another mahomes"

Except the Saints tried to move up. Also who knows how everything plays out if we didn't trade up when we did. After rumors of Mac being our guy teams at 8 & 9 traded for QBs.

So the teams with real needs before the Pats already addressed their situation

Lol then go to a local college library and be that weird guy using his binoculars.
Share 49ersWebzone