There are 225 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
I think the two things we know for sure about Mac Jones in the eyes of NFL decision makers is that:

1) The Patriots liked Mac Jones, which is why they drafted him. They didn't love Mac Jones or they would've packaged something to move up a few spots - especially after Fields went at 11 and QB needy teams in the teens / twenties at risk to move up. Almost no one projected him to last to 15 and teams don't haphazardly chance it when it comes to missing out on YOUR franchise qb.

2) No team with a remote QB need LOVED Mac Jones. He simply wouldn't have fallen to 15 if that was the case - a team picking ahead would've taken him over a different position player or team picking behind would've packaged either a 2 or future 1 to move up.

Except the Saints tried to move up. Also who knows how everything plays out if we didn't trade up when we did. After rumors of Mac being our guy teams at 8 & 9 traded for QBs.

So the teams with real needs before the Pats already addressed their situation

Except Jets did trade up to 14 without giving up too much.

The New York Jets have traded up in the 2021 NFL Draft. The Jets have traded picks #23, #66 and #86 to the Minnesota Vikings in exchange for picks # 14 and #143

—————

So, Saints may have tried - but they obviously didn't think it was worth giving up much to move up to 14 and draft him.

Also - Pats were not too concerned about someone moving up and taking Mac. Otherwise - they could easily throw in a 4th round pick to move up a slot or two.
[ Edited by 4ML on May 13, 2021 at 6:29 PM ]
Originally posted by 4ML:
I think the two things we know for sure about Mac Jones in the eyes of NFL decision makers is that:

1) The Patriots liked Mac Jones, which is why they drafted him. They didn't love Mac Jones or they would've packaged something to move up a few spots - especially after Fields went at 11 and QB needy teams in the teens / twenties at risk to move up. Almost no one projected him to last to 15 and teams don't haphazardly chance it when it comes to missing out on YOUR franchise qb.

2) No team with a remote QB need LOVED Mac Jones. He simply wouldn't have fallen to 15 if that was the case - a team picking ahead would've taken him over a different position player or team picking behind would've packaged either a 2 or future 1 to move up.

Except the Saints tried to move up. Also who knows how everything plays out if we didn't trade up when we did. After rumors of Mac being our guy teams at 8 & 9 traded for QBs.

The New York Jets have traded up in the 2021 NFL Draft. The Jets have traded picks #23, #66 and #86 to the Minnesota Vikings in exchange for picks # 14 and #143

—————

So, Saints may have tried - but they obviously didn't think it was worth giving up much to move up to 14 and draft him.

Also - Pats were not too concerned about someone moving up and taking Mac. Otherwise - they could easily throw in a 4th round pick to move up a slot or two.

Except it was reported that nobody wanted to move back that far into the late 1st round. Trading back to #23 is quite a bit different from trading back to #29. The first team New Orleans found that was willing to go back that far was Arizona at #16.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 4ML:

—————

Except it was reported that nobody wanted to move back that far into the late 1st round. Trading back to #23 is quite a bit different from trading back to #29. The first team New Orleans found that was willing to go back that far was Arizona at #16.

Coulda shoulda woulda, all speculation. Fact is nobody traded up for him and fact is he dropped out of the top 10 with people here putting guarantees that he wouldn't. Up to him now to prove everyone wrong or right about him
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Coulda shoulda woulda, all speculation. Fact is nobody traded up for him and fact is he dropped out of the top 10 with people here putting guarantees that he wouldn't. Up to him now to prove everyone wrong or right about him

Yes. If you're deemed worth it,...teams are inclined to throw away some of their future. That's what we did with Lance, just as an example.

People here wanted to go with Kyle's narrative of making sure he got at least "1 of the top 5." Uhhhh,...no. All along as I've said, what we gave up pointed directly towards swinging for the fences,...which was 1 through 4, but not 5.

So if the Saints and the Patriots were the only teams ready to fight for him, he's blessed he didn't go much lower. We'll see.
[ Edited by random49er on May 14, 2021 at 7:56 PM ]
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by BamaNiner:
Ok. Still doesn't change what I responded to. You said "physically elite" which none of those guys are.

A great arm is part of being physically elite. It's not just being able to run. Mac can't run and has an average at best NFL arm.

Is this true, though?
Forty-Niners have a QB1 right now who many deify and has a seemingly a much weaker arm than this guy. Mac looks to have plenty of arm strength and long ball accuracy. Plus great pocket awareness and escapability; more athletic than given credit for. Just because he wasn't the Niners selection doesn't justify denigrating his talents. He looks to be good and would probably have been a good pick-up by the Niners. Just not at #3.
IMO the Niners picked the right guy at #3. The guy I voted for as my preference (Not Fields. Not Jones).
If you're going to sacrifice what the team did, swing for the fences.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I am surprised the WFT didn't try to move up 5 spots for Mac Jones. The Jets moved up 9 spots and didn't really give up all that much. They are either confident in the backup they have now to eventually take over or they didn't think very highly of Mac.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by BamaNiner:
Ok. Still doesn't change what I responded to. You said "physically elite" which none of those guys are.

A great arm is part of being physically elite. It's not just being able to run. Mac can't run and has an average at best NFL arm.

Is this true, though?
Forty-Niners have a QB1 right now who many deify and has a seemingly a much weaker arm than this guy. Mac looks to have plenty of arm strength and long ball accuracy. Plus great pocket awareness and escapability; more athletic than given credit for. Just because he wasn't the Niners selection doesn't justify denigrating his talents. He looks to be good and would probably have been a good pick-up by the Niners. Just not at #3.
IMO the Niners picked the right guy at #3. The guy I voted for as my preference (Not Fields. Not Jones).

Mac has a noodlish arm
Is this true, though?

Mac does not have a good arm. There are really no two ways about that. So again average arm at best, not very athletic.... It means you have to be nearly perfect every play. Perfect playcall, perfect footwork, perfect read. Is it possible Mac Jones could be a top 10-15 QB? Anything is possible I guess but I would be shocked
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Is this true, though?

Mac does not have a good arm. There are really no two ways about that. So again average arm at best, not very athletic.... It means you have to be nearly perfect every play. Perfect playcall, perfect footwork, perfect read. Is it possible Mac Jones could be a top 10-15 QB? Anything is possible I guess but I would be shocked

Well don't forget Bellicheat and what he did with a 6th rounder. I hope Bill retires soon so Kyle will have less competition if the 49ers get into the Lombardi game.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Is this true, though?

Well don't forget Bellicheat and what he did with a 6th rounder. I hope Bill retires soon so Kyle will have less competition if the 49ers get into the Lombardi game.

Well, I HIGHLY doubt Bill has another Brady. That kind of luck does not come around twice.

Originally posted by English:
Is this true, though?

Well, I HIGHLY doubt Bill has another Brady. That kind of luck does not come around twice.

Favre to Rodgers... Montana to Young...
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Is this true, though?

Ooh! Twice in 30 years. So it must happen again, obviously.

Yeah what has bellicheck done without a HoF QB and what has said HoF QB done without bellicheck?
Is this true, though?

Never give the football Gods a reason, man.
[ Edited by fropwns on May 16, 2021 at 1:45 PM ]
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Is this true, though?

Ooh! Twice in 30 years. So it must happen again, obviously.

I mean, you dont gotta be a prick about it. Warner to Bulger to a lesser extent. The point is that it can happen. You spoke in absolutes by saying that will never happen again.. I proved you wrong. Just take the L.
Share 49ersWebzone