49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 486 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Originally posted by NCommand:
Julio wants to play for Mac?

The NFL trade market is buzzing about Atlanta Falcons wideout Julio Jones. Michael Holley of NBC Boston said this week on "Boston Sports Tonight" through sources that Jones is intrigued by the idea of playing alongside Cam Newton with the New England Patriots.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

The NFL trade market is buzzing about Atlanta Falcons wideout Julio Jones. Michael Holley of NBC Boston said this week on "Boston Sports Tonight" through sources that Jones is intrigued by the idea of playing alongside Cam Newton with the New England Patriots.

That's accurate. Cam will be on the bench with him various times during a game and as the #2 QB in practice. He didn't lie.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
LOL. The dude's arm is dead and he's never had accuracy or a strong mental acumen. He got backup money. I'd be surprised if he was the week 1 starter. Either way, Mac will end the season as the starter.

lol so you're going to replace a dead arm with a noodle arm? the results will be the same. If Mac ends the season as the starter it means the pats are having another bad season

His arm is more than adequate. And it's the mental acumen and accuracy that takes one much further as a pro.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Kyle at Mac Jones pro day. I'm only here for the smokescreen. Jimmy already ten times better than this scrub.

Jimmy gonna go 12-5 this year. Fan hate fueling both JG and MJ.
Is Jones still the goat or nah?
His arm is more than adequate. And it's the mental acumen and accuracy that takes one much further as a pro.

name a player with an average (at best! i'm being generous to mac here) NFL arm with no athleticism and ended up being a top 10 QB. there are tons of smart QB's but lets take a look at mac's draft profile:

What he does best:
  • Not necessarily a pure/smooth thrower, but possesses a quick release.
  • Consistent footwork. Plays with a good base in control and throws on balance.
  • Great understanding of defensive recognition and where to go with the ball with the given passing scheme.
  • Good ball placement on short/intermediate timing routes.
  • Anticipates windows in zone very well.
  • Sees the field clearly. Consistently shows the ability to get through progressions, eliminating a read quickly and moving on to the next with relative ease.
  • Great overall feel and discipline in the pocket.
  • Athletic within the pocket and can burst to pick up key third downs with his legs.

Now take another look. Although the above is basically what you've seen from Mac's profile, this is actually Nathan Peterman's draft profile. There are a dozen mac jones every year in the draft. They don't work out as a long term top 10 starter. There's a first time for everything but i suppose we shall see in the coming years.

name a player with an average (at best! i'm being generous to mac here) NFL arm with no athleticism and ended up being a top 10 QB. there are tons of smart QB's but lets take a look at mac's draft profile:

What he does best:
  • Not necessarily a pure/smooth thrower, but possesses a quick release.
  • Consistent footwork. Plays with a good base in control and throws on balance.
  • Great understanding of defensive recognition and where to go with the ball with the given passing scheme.
  • Good ball placement on short/intermediate timing routes.
  • Anticipates windows in zone very well.
  • Sees the field clearly. Consistently shows the ability to get through progressions, eliminating a read quickly and moving on to the next with relative ease.
  • Great overall feel and discipline in the pocket.
  • Athletic within the pocket and can burst to pick up key third downs with his legs.

Now take another look. Although the above is basically what you've seen from Mac's profile, this is actually Nathan Peterman's draft profile. There are a dozen mac jones every year in the draft. They don't work out as a long term top 10 starter. There's a first time for everything but i suppose we shall see in the coming years.
NC has been trolling and it looks like.. has taken the heel role now
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

That's accurate. Cam will be on the bench with him various times during a game and as the #2 QB in practice. He didn't lie.

I agree , Stidham and Cam will take turns sitting on bench w Mac .
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
Or it could mean that Mac Jones is really good.

i never say never in this life or in the NFL! all i can do is judge based on what i've seen to date. Based on that, Mac Jones will not be very good in the NFL (name an unathletic QB with a mediocre arm that has been elite). But as with all these players we'll just have to wait and see!

The Pats picked Mac Jones #15 overall. He's their 1st round QB and Franchise QB of the future. Cam might start at the beginning of the year but if he looks anything like the last couple of years he will quickly get replaced by Mac. Mac doesn't have to be elite to replace Cam, just better. Based upon what I've seen that shouldn't be hard for him to do.

Your love for Cam doesn't have to come at the expense of Mac. You should probably take your wait and see advice and apply it before sticking your foot in your mouth and claiming Mac as a bust before he even hits the field.
Originally posted by Howlett49:
The Pats picked Mac Jones #15 overall. He's their 1st round QB and Franchise QB of the future. Cam might start at the beginning of the year but if he looks anything like the last couple of years he will quickly get replaced by Mac. Mac doesn't have to be elite to replace Cam, just better. Based upon what I've seen that shouldn't be hard for him to do.

Your love for Cam doesn't have to come at the expense of Mac. You should probably take your wait and see advice and apply it before sticking your foot in your mouth and claiming Mac as a bust before he even hits the field.

Depends on your definition of a bust. To me a bust would be a 1st round QB who is terrible. I don't think Mac will be terrible. Just a so so everyday QB. Is that a bust? I don't know.

But one thing I do know is, short of injury, Mac won't be starting over cam. Cam was playing at a high level before he caught covid. We know what covid didto some other athletes so I don't put much stock into the weeks following covid.

I stand by my assessment of Mac based on what I've seen. The league gobbles up smart guys who have mediocre physical traits, of which Mac Jones most assuredly has

• 91til
  • Veteran
Just IMO Mac is a better QB than Cam today and it's not relatively close. I do not know how someone can watch Cam throwing the ball the past few years and think that's the guy they want to really lead them. The Pats started him last year cause Bill knew what kind of year it was going to be and conceded to it. I don't know that they'll start Mac week 1 just cause of Cam's enormous ego, but as soon as he gets to play he's going to be clearly, clearly better than Newton.
Originally posted by 91til:
Just IMO Mac is a better QB than Cam today and it's not relatively close. I do not know how someone can watch Cam throwing the ball the past few years and think that's the guy they want to really lead them. The Pats started him last year cause Bill knew what kind of year it was going to be and conceded to it. I don't know that they'll start Mac week 1 just cause of Cam's enormous ego, but as soon as he gets to play he's going to be clearly, clearly better than Newton.
if that was true they would have had Stidham start the season to just waste the year. Same goes for this year with bringing Cam back and still sitting Stidham

MAC hasn't even thrown a NFL pass lol
Depends on your definition of a bust. To me a bust would be a 1st round QB who is terrible. I don't think Mac will be terrible. Just a so so everyday QB. Is that a bust? I don't know.

But one thing I do know is, short of injury, Mac won't be starting over cam. Cam was playing at a high level before he caught covid. We know what covid didto some other athletes so I don't put much stock into the weeks following covid.

I stand by my assessment of Mac based on what I've seen. The league gobbles up smart guys who have mediocre physical traits, of which Mac Jones most assuredly has

I don't think passing for 240 yards per game (2 games below 165 pass yards) with 2 TDs and 2 INTs in 3 games qualifies as 'playing at a high level.'
[ Edited by a49erfan77 on May 27, 2021 at 4:42 AM ]
I don't think passing for 240 yards per game (2 games below 165 pass yards) with 2 TDs and 2 INTs in 3 games qualifies as 'playing at a high level.'

i mean just watch the games instead of reading off a box score. I happened to catch both games, he was looking good (and passing isn't the only area where cam is dangerous... he rushed for 75 yards & 2 TD's vs. fins, 2 TD's vs. seahawks). All things considered (coming off not playing football for nearly a year because of injury, the "weapons" the pats had, new system) i'd say cam was playing at a high level.

As I said above, if your only elite trait (and i personally debate this but i'll humor you) is that you're "smart", defenses in the NFL are going to gobble you up. Smarts are necessary, but they alone can only get you so far. I don't know what type of success or failure mac will have early, i could see him looking decent, and once teams get more and more footage on him his lack of physical abilities is going to put him in a corner. It's a tale as old as time in the nfl!

i mean just watch the games instead of reading off a box score. I happened to catch both games, he was looking good (and passing isn't the only area where cam is dangerous... he rushed for 75 yards & 2 TD's vs. fins, 2 TD's vs. seahawks). All things considered (coming off not playing football for nearly a year because of injury, the "weapons" the pats had, new system) i'd say cam was playing at a high level.

As I said above, if your only elite trait (and i personally debate this but i'll humor you) is that you're "smart", defenses in the NFL are going to gobble you up. Smarts are necessary, but they alone can only get you so far. I don't know what type of success or failure mac will have early, i could see him looking decent, and once teams get more and more footage on him his lack of physical abilities is going to put him in a corner. It's a tale as old as time in the nfl!

Exactly . Ivy League QBs would be crushing it if smarts alone made you elite
Share 49ersWebzone