49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 478 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Elite pass catcher Mac Jones :

Originally posted by evil:

Was that OBJ with the one-handed catch?
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
I don't think passing for 240 yards per game (2 games below 165 pass yards) with 2 TDs and 2 INTs in 3 games qualifies as 'playing at a high level.'

i mean just watch the games instead of reading off a box score. I happened to catch both games, he was looking good (and passing isn't the only area where cam is dangerous... he rushed for 75 yards & 2 TD's vs. fins, 2 TD's vs. seahawks). All things considered (coming off not playing football for nearly a year because of injury, the "weapons" the pats had, new system) i'd say cam was playing at a high level.

As I said above, if your only elite trait (and i personally debate this but i'll humor you) is that you're "smart", defenses in the NFL are going to gobble you up. Smarts are necessary, but they alone can only get you so far. I don't know what type of success or failure mac will have early, i could see him looking decent, and once teams get more and more footage on him his lack of physical abilities is going to put him in a corner. It's a tale as old as time in the nfl!

Exactly . Ivy League QBs would be crushing it if smarts alone made you elite

You lose all credibility when you defend cam Newton's play. The guy has s**tting the bed the last few years. He sucks, he's not motivated, he brings players down. It has nothing to do with stats and everything to do with body language and attitude. I have no f**king idea what bellicheck is doing bringing him back. With cam, you have a 0% chance of having a productive season.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

playing catch with the boyz - oh wow one handed catch that you jump for and make - 50 million americans can make that catch ez just playin catch..
I see that the Patriots are now the favorites to land Julio Jones. How ironic that the lost Tom Brady because they refused to get him any real offensive weapons but now that he's gone they might add one of the best receivers in the game.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I see that the Patriots are now the favorites to land Julio Jones. How ironic that the lost Tom Brady because they refused to get him any real offensive weapons but now that he's gone they might add one of the best receivers in the game.

Julio says he wants to play with a fast strong armed qb and might go to a team that has one that hasn't been good in a couple of seasons and a chubby average armed rookie

But I don't think he has a no trade clause and that Shannon Sharpe incident probably soured the relationship. Sharpe kind of did him and the falcons dirty.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by Howlett49:
The Pats picked Mac Jones #15 overall. He's their 1st round QB and Franchise QB of the future. Cam might start at the beginning of the year but if he looks anything like the last couple of years he will quickly get replaced by Mac. Mac doesn't have to be elite to replace Cam, just better. Based upon what I've seen that shouldn't be hard for him to do.

Your love for Cam doesn't have to come at the expense of Mac. You should probably take your wait and see advice and apply it before sticking your foot in your mouth and claiming Mac as a bust before he even hits the field.

Depends on your definition of a bust. To me a bust would be a 1st round QB who is terrible. I don't think Mac will be terrible. Just a so so everyday QB. Is that a bust? I don't know.

But one thing I do know is, short of injury, Mac won't be starting over cam. Cam was playing at a high level before he caught covid. We know what covid didto some other athletes so I don't put much stock into the weeks following covid.

I stand by my assessment of Mac based on what I've seen. The league gobbles up smart guys who have mediocre physical traits, of which Mac Jones most assuredly has

I feel like your assessment of Cam playing at a high level is way off. I also think that Mac Jones definitely starts over Cam sooner rather than later. Mac Jones starts over a healthy Cam. There's no way Belichick watches Cam s**t the bed all season with Mac just twiddling his thumbs on the sideline. I can see a couple poor performances early in the season by Cam and Mac starting by at least the half way point.

Another thing for you to consider. Cam is playing on a short leash with a rookie first rounder behind him. A rookie that they are eager to have play. Even if Mac sucks he will still get more benefit of the doubt than Cam and keep starting once Cam is supplanted. Maybe Mac will be a bust or just average like you say. It'll be a few years before he's written off though and Cam will be long gone by then.
Originally posted by 49erminion:

playing catch with the boyz - oh wow one handed catch that you jump for and make - 50 million americans can make that catch ez just playin catch..

Cam can't even throw with accuracy and touch while warming up.
Originally posted by 49erminion:

U serious? Because I wasn't

Originally posted by Joecool:
Cam can't even throw with accuracy and touch while warming up.

I had the same thought lol
Originally posted by Howlett49:
I feel like your assessment of Cam playing at a high level is way off. I also think that Mac Jones definitely starts over Cam sooner rather than later. Mac Jones starts over a healthy Cam. There's no way Belichick watches Cam s**t the bed all season with Mac just twiddling his thumbs on the sideline. I can see a couple poor performances early in the season by Cam and Mac starting by at least the half way point.

Another thing for you to consider. Cam is playing on a short leash with a rookie first rounder behind him. A rookie that they are eager to have play. Even if Mac sucks he will still get more benefit of the doubt than Cam and keep starting once Cam is supplanted. Maybe Mac will be a bust or just average like you say. It'll be a few years before he's written off though and Cam will be long gone by then.

He may start, I don't know how healthy cam is. A healthy cam is better than Mac. If the pats start Mac a significant amount of the season they are a 4 or 5 win team max

Ps

When cam starts the junior scouts here can say how much of an idiot bellicheck is
[ Edited by frenchmov on May 28, 2021 at 4:41 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:

This doesn't surprise me. Ofcourse he is going to do well in these type of practices where there is no pressure and doesn't have to move around much or throw without being able to plant both feet.
Mac is going to play sooner than later, have mild Chad Pennington-esque success and we are going to have to continue this 1200 page thread with some extremely premature "I told you so's" aren't we?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by natrone06:
Mac is going to play sooner than later, have mild Chad Pennington-esque success and we are going to have to continue this 1200 page thread with some extremely premature "I told you so's" aren't we?

He'll be a good pro - have a good career.
Share 49ersWebzone