Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Kirk Cousins 2.0
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Kirk Cousins 2.0

Matt Ryan 2.0
If the 2 that are available when we pick are Jones and Trask, it'll be a tough decision. Trask seems to have a higher ceiling while Jones has a higher floor.
Originally posted by AsianJeff:
Matt Ryan 2.0

nah dude...Ryan's arm talent is much better coming out of BC
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Bama QB's usually don't pan out.

Texas Tech QBs in the NFL prior to Pat Mahomes

BJ Symons
Kliff Kingsbury
Billy Joe Tolliver
Ron Reeves
Joe Barnes

Clemson QB's in the NFL prior to Deshaun Watson

Tajh Boyd
Charlie Whitehurst
Steve Fuller
Homer Jordan

Cal QB's in the NFL prior to Aaron Rodgers

Kyle Boller
Pat Barnes
Dave Barr
Mike Pawlawski
Troy Taylor
Rich Campbell

Wisconsin QB's in the NFL prior to Russell Wilson

Jim Sorgi
Brooks Bollinger
Bud Keyes
Randy Wright
Neill Graff

This man has gained wisdom in his 98,000 posts. I would like this post but no such function exists.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:

BJ Symons
Kliff Kingsbury
Billy Joe Tolliver
Ron Reeves
Joe Barnes

Tajh Boyd
Charlie Whitehurst
Steve Fuller
Homer Jordan

Kyle Boller
Pat Barnes
Dave Barr
Mike Pawlawski
Troy Taylor
Rich Campbell

Jim Sorgi
Brooks Bollinger
Bud Keyes
Randy Wright
Neill Graff

This man has gained wisdom in his 98,000 posts. I would like this post but no such function exists.

None of the QBs you list from other teams really lit it up. They were career backups or mediocre for the most part. On the other hand, Alabama had 3 QBs that were stars in the NFL. Bart Starr, Joe Namath and Ken Stabler. Even Richard Todd wasn't terrible with a bad Jets team. I agree that recent Bama QBs haven't been very good in the NFL. Jury still out on Tua.

You missed Steve Bartkowski and Craig Morton from Cal.

It's hard to evaluate how good individuals are at Bama because they have so much talent every year. Any where from 5 to 10 1st and 2nd rounders each year.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

BJ Symons
Kliff Kingsbury
Billy Joe Tolliver
Ron Reeves
Joe Barnes

Tajh Boyd
Charlie Whitehurst
Steve Fuller
Homer Jordan

Kyle Boller
Pat Barnes
Dave Barr
Mike Pawlawski
Troy Taylor
Rich Campbell

Jim Sorgi
Brooks Bollinger
Bud Keyes
Randy Wright
Neill Graff

None of the QBs you list from other teams really lit it up. They were career backups or mediocre for the most part. On the other hand, Alabama had 3 QBs that were stars in the NFL. Bart Starr, Joe Namath and Ken Stabler. Even Richard Todd wasn't terrible with a bad Jets team. I agree that recent Bama QBs haven't been very good in the NFL. Jury still out on Tua.

It's hard to evaluate how good individuals are at Bama because they have so much talent every year. Any where from 5 to 10 1st and 2nd rounders each year.

What do you mean me? I didn't make that post.

Unpopular opinion:

Anyway, arguments about the history of a school mean very little. Usually, the only reason a college has great players is because they out-recruit their competition. I'm sure coaching plays a role, but I think the biggest reason certain schools are position factories is because the very best high school players at the position those school are known for believe that myth and then sign up to play at those schools, and so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

But all that needs to happen to change that is for a great player to fly under the radar and then go to some school not known for producing great players at that position.
What do you mean me? I didn't make that post.

Unpopular opinion:

Anyway, arguments about the history of a school mean very little. Usually, the only reason a college has great players is because they out-recruit their competition. I'm sure coaching plays a role, but I think the biggest reason certain schools are position factories is because the very best high school players at the position those school are known for believe that myth and then sign up to play at those schools, and so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

But all that needs to happen to change that is for a great player to fly under the radar and then go to some school not known for producing great players at that position.

I was referring to the list and your response was in the bracket. The list is what I commented on not your response.

Yeah I wasn't going back 50+ years to list players from an era that is irrelevant to the current state of the game. I think my point was pretty clear, that players should be evaluated independently of recent program history at the position.

Each prospect should be looked at individually and judged on their own merits and not "well x and y failed to succeed at the NFL level so clearly anyone playing the same position from Program z should be disqualified from consideration."

Yeah I wasn't going back 50+ years to list players from an era that is irrelevant to the current state of the game. I think my point was pretty clear, that players should be evaluated independently of recent program history at the position.

Each prospect should be looked at individually and judged on their own merits and not "well x and y failed to succeed at the NFL level so clearly anyone playing the same position from Program z should be disqualified from consideration."

I get what you're saying. Bottom line is quality can come from anywhere, even FCS. Lot's of good players get overlooked by the big schools because they weren't fully developed in high school. Herbert was only a 3 star QB in high school and nobody expected him to end up as good as he's playing now with LA. At the same time you can't go to a school like Stanford that's turned out Brodie, Elway, Plunkett and Luck and think that any QB from there will be good.

How dare you. Drafting is easy. You need an O linemen you draft a kid outta Wisconsin. TE you go to Iowa. Edge Rusher Ohio State. CB LSU. I swear y'all in here trying to hard I got this figured out.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
How dare you. Drafting is easy. You need an O linemen you draft a kid outta Wisconsin. TE you go to Iowa. Edge Rusher Ohio State. CB LSU. I swear y'all in here trying to hard I got this figured out.

Wouldn't it be nice if it was really that easy. No more busts. Just one great player after another.
I was referring to the list and your response was in the bracket. The list is what I commented on not your response.

Thanks for the clarification. My fedora-wearing internet-warrior-trained reflex is to assume the most recent post in the quote chain is the one being responded to.
Watching Mac Jones move around after watching Zach Wilson makes me want to vomit.
Share 49ersWebzone