There are 197 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Unfortunately for the Niners both times they needed a QB and had a high draft pick since 2000 the selection wasn't great. When they took Alex Smith it was him or Rodgers. At the time the consensus was Smith was a little better. Rodgers lasted until the 24th pick. When they had the12th pick and moved up it was a QB class from the Covid year. Only one turned out to be decent. We stumbled into good fortune with Brock.

You forgetting about the time they had the 2nd pick, needed a QB, in a class that had Mahomes and Watson, but didn't scout anyone cause heart was set on Cousins so traded back one spot and took Solomon Thomas at 3.

Oops my bad, Kyle did scout someone and traded up in the 3rd for Beathard

This is what probably bothers me the most. You don't even LOOK into them?? Cause you like a basic qb like cousins? That to me, is probably Kyle's worst moment as HC. He was inexperienced but that's pretty inexcusable. You have a top pick, several promising qbs, and you ignore all of it? Insane.

I still never understood the Thomas pick. Just never seemed like a good pick to me.

Experts thought we might take QB Trubisky at 2 overall so fans were happy we didn't

That's the best I can sell that in a positive light
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Unfortunately for the Niners both times they needed a QB and had a high draft pick since 2000 the selection wasn't great. When they took Alex Smith it was him or Rodgers. At the time the consensus was Smith was a little better. Rodgers lasted until the 24th pick. When they had the12th pick and moved up it was a QB class from the Covid year. Only one turned out to be decent. We stumbled into good fortune with Brock.

You forgetting about the time they had the 2nd pick, needed a QB, in a class that had Mahomes and Watson, but didn't scout anyone cause heart was set on Cousins so traded back one spot and took Solomon Thomas at 3.

This is what probably bothers me the most. You don't even LOOK into them?? Cause you like a basic qb like cousins? That to me, is probably Kyle's worst moment as HC. He was inexperienced but that's pretty inexcusable. You have a top pick, several promising qbs, and you ignore all of it? Insane.

I still never understood the Thomas pick. Just never seemed like a good pick to me.

Experts thought we might take QB Trubisky at 2 overall so fans were happy we didn't

They already were trying to get Cousins he ended up trading for JG in October 2017. They could have drafted Mahomes but so could 9 other teams. He sat fo a year plying behind Alex Smith. The Niners were looking for immediate help. I imagine every team that had the chance to draft him wishes they had but hind sight is always 20-20.
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:

They already were trying to get Cousins he ended up trading for JG in October 2017. They could have drafted Mahomes but so could 9 other teams. He sat fo a year plying behind Alex Smith. The Niners were looking for immediate help. I imagine every team that had the chance to draft him wishes they had but hind sight is always 20-20.

It's the fact they didn't even bother looking into any of those QBs, a position we desperately needed. Just cause you thought you could get cousins next year, isn't an excuse, IMO. That's insanity. Lol

I really wanted Watson, I thought he was a no brainer (I didn't know about the rape) lol.

but yeah, I get hindsight is 20/20 - it's just the fact they didn't bother even looking into them and 2/3 became all pro.
It's the fact they didn't even bother looking into any of those QBs, a position we desperately needed. Just cause you thought you could get cousins next year, isn't an excuse, IMO. That's insanity. Lol

I really wanted Watson, I thought he was a no brainer (I didn't know about the rape) lol.

but yeah, I get hindsight is 20/20 - it's just the fact they didn't bother even looking into them and 2/3 became all pro.

Mahomes, Watson, Trubisky wasn't a consensus top 10 pick. Most "experts" had both Mahomes and Watson ranked around 30ish on their big boards. They had Trubisky ranked around 20. None of the QBs in that class were considered consensus top 10 picks like we had in this years class or previous classes like the one with Trey. Heck just look at the teams who picked inside the top 10, they all passed on Mahomes and Watson and none of them had franchise QBs.

In fact you can kind of compare Michael Penix to Mahomes as far as draft value is concerned. Most experts had Penix as a fringe 1st rounder and in a shocker he went 8 to Atlanta. Mahomes went #10 in what was a surprise when most pegged him to be a late 1st rounder.

If we did take a QB i have a feeling it would have been Watson. We dodged a bullet.
Originally posted by miked1978:

Mahomes, Watson, Trubisky wasn't a consensus top 10 pick. Most "experts" had both Mahomes and Watson ranked around 30ish on their big boards. They had Trubisky ranked around 20. None of the QBs in that class were considered consensus top 10 picks like we had in this years class or previous classes like the one with Trey. Heck just look at the teams who picked inside the top 10, they all passed on Mahomes and Watson and none of them had franchise QBs.

In fact you can kind of compare Michael Penix to Mahomes as far as draft value is concerned. Most experts had Penix as a fringe 1st rounder and in a shocker he went 8 to Atlanta. Mahomes went #10 in what was a surprise when most pegged him to be a late 1st rounder.

If we did take a QB i have a feeling it would have been Watson. We dodged a bullet.

People on tv aren't experts. The people on a staff that all work year around to decide on how good a player is, are experts.

Clearly experts thoughts Trubisky and mahommes were top 10 picks, and Watson a top 12.

numerous people didn't think Trey, Mac jones, fields, or even Wilson was worth a top 10 pick. And they clearly weren't - qbs almost always go high because of the desperate need of them amongst half the league (usually).
Share 49ersWebzone