There are 116 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Sheesh, talk about throwing a catchable ball.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by irishluder:
This... I was hoping for a chance to trade down and still get Jones, but I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger and letting him sit a year behind Jimmy and stacking the O-line with prospects and hope for a decent O-line going forward.

I wouldn't be shocked if Jones winds up as a 2nd-3rd rounder when all is said and done. No matter how well he plays, its never going to be super flashy, he doesn't have a cannon arm and he will get over-analyzed to death because of where he plays but he's perfectly capable of running anything in Shanahan's playbook.

I was thinking the same thing, too, but with how this year has played out with all the canceled/postponed games and the need at the QB position within most of the teams picking in the top 15, there will be a major run at QB and I don't see Jones and even Trask falling out of the 1st round.
Originally posted by irishluder:
This... I was hoping for a chance to trade down and still get Jones, but I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger and letting him sit a year behind Jimmy and stacking the O-line with prospects and hope for a decent O-line going forward.

I wouldn't be shocked if Jones winds up as a 2nd-3rd rounder when all is said and done. No matter how well he plays, its never going to be super flashy, he doesn't have a cannon arm and he will get over-analyzed to death because of where he plays but he's perfectly capable of running anything in Shanahan's playbook.

I would be much happier with Jones as 2nd rounder and getting two 3rds for Saleh.

I feel like he's got some chicken legs.

Bwahaha, this picture brought back memories of Reuben Foster smoking a cigarette and throwing up gang signs in the Alabama locker room.

Tua has the record at 199.6 or something like that.

Tua has the record at 199.6 or something like that.

Doesn't hurt when you have those weapons all around you Like the kid though he seems pretty smart and throws a very catchable football.
From what I've seen so far, if the Niners draft a QB I'm hoping Jones is the guy - and it will most likely have to be in Rd. 2 since they don't pick again until Rd. 4 (assuming he's not already gone in Rd. 1). We'll see how the rest of the college season plays out. But for now, hoping Jones is the pick to back up Garoppolo.

The QB position is just too important - maybe the most important in all of sports. To have a young, talented backup on a rookie contract puts you ahead of the game and also helps in the evaluation process when considering who's the guy for the future. A little healthy competition in the QB room for next year and beyond. I always thought Belichick was smart for drafting Garoppolo as the backup to Brady to keep options open & give flexibility for the future (ending up getting a 2nd for Garoppolo).

The talent on this roster is very apparent, even in an injury-filled + pandemic year as this. We saw yesterday what this team can do when more key guys return from injury - especially on D - yet we also saw the severe limitations this team has at backup QB in a game that really shouldn't have been that close (thought the Niners could have won by at least 10).

Yes, it's just the backup QB, but I'm hoping for a young upgrade after seeing four years of Mullens & Beathard. Having a talented guy like Jones under Center should something happen to Garoppolo, one who would make more plays to give this offense a better chance, would make this team extremely tough to beat on any given gameday.

I like the idea of Jones being groomed by Shanahan - he seems like he could be a good fit for this scheme & what Shanahan wants to do.
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Count me in on warming to Jones especially if it's with our 2nd round pick... Jimmy gets one last shot with a reloaded roster; we get to use our first round pick to address other needs—maybe even after a small trade back to pick up a 3rd or 4th... we get a viable QB prospect (and as many have noted, a seemingly great fit for Shanahan) in Jones, at a good value in the 2nd...

Originally posted by NYniner85:

I feel like he's got some chicken legs.

Them some Ken Dorsey-esque quads.
Not my top choice but I'd feel so much better trading up to the top of the 2nd to get him instead of using our 1st
NOT a first rounder... I'm convinced..

I rather give up a 4th rounder on Trubisky and develop him instead of using a 1st rounder on MAC!!
For what it's worth, the Athletic's latest mock draft had Jones going to the Saints in the first.
We all kinda saw how limited Jalen Hurts was going to be, then we saw Tua and knew he was a sure 1st round bound and some even saw him as a special type of player... but Mac, personally, he has performed very very well, but it's almost like because of the weapon around him and the fact that Sarkisian makes great calls and knows how to use his toys...

The last QB I saw who really benefited from the weapons around him was Matt Leinart. .
Share 49ersWebzone