There are 143 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Mr. Phoenix, you clearly have the love for Mac Jones.

Please tell me what you feel is great about him besides his undeniably excellent name.
I like what I see from him
Originally posted by Gabberwocky:

Please tell me what you feel is great about him besides his undeniably excellent name.

I don't know about love but he's an intriguing prospect. Not much starting experience but he handles himself like a pro, clearly has command of that offense, high football IQ, stands in the pocket and confidently lets it rip with pressure in his face, does a decent job moving through his progressions, has good placement on his deep passes and overall does a good job moving in the pocket and getting the ball out quickly. Not the perfect QB for every offense but he can handle anything Shanahan would ask from him. If he continues to play at a high level for the rest of the season, I think he'd become a very real option for the 49ers.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I don't know about love but he's an intriguing prospect. Not much starting experience but he handles himself like a pro, clearly has command of that offense, high football IQ, stands in the pocket and confidently lets it rip with pressure in his face, does a decent job moving through his progressions, has good placement on his deep passes and overall does a good job moving in the pocket and getting the ball out quickly. Not the perfect QB for every offense but he can handle anything Shanahan would ask from him. If he continues to play at a high level for the rest of the season, I think he'd become a very real option for the 49ers.
you just described every college QB
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BYisGod:
For what it's worth, the Athletic's latest mock draft had Jones going to the Saints in the first.
Some team may want to get that fifth year option.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

To me Mac Jones has everything we love(d) about JG. While also having what we wish JG doesn't have.

I honestly can't explain what it is that I love about Mac. He seems to me like his floor is JG from last year. But Jones isn't afraid to throw the ball outside or down field to give his guys a chance to make a play.

It's actually like a mesh of JG and Mullens but the best of both.

For our offense I would be more than ok with Jones. Again, I think his floor IN OUR OFFENSE is a slightly better 2019 JG.

If he can take care of the ball while giving our playmakers a chance downfield it's a HUGE bonus and allows us to use the whole field/playbook that we haven't done with JG under center
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Them some Ken Dorsey-esque quads.

HAHA right
Originally posted by illinois9er:
Not my top choice but I'd feel so much better trading up to the top of the 2nd to get him instead of using our 1st

It's the QB position though...we're not talking about a guard here.

draft capital given up shouldn't matter, if you think that QB is the long-term stud QB.

I like Jones, I don't think he has all of these high level traits that can make him an elite QB though.
Dude screams backup talent in the NFL.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

How so, exactly?

Originally posted by OnTheClock:

How so, exactly?

kirk Cousins 2.0 (lesser arm talent IMO).

-Seems like a heady QB who can read a defense. Knows where to go with the ball
-Accurate
-Decent, not amazing arm
-Good mobility in the pocket (good internal clock)
-Has no problem standing in the pocket to take a hit.
-Handles pressure well
-Catchable ball
-Velocity IMO is not great
-Athletic ability is probably worst of the top tier QBs
-Amazing talent around him
-ton of 7 man protection calls (because their WRs are so good)
-top end play calling
Originally posted by NYniner85:

How so, exactly?

-Accurate
-Decent, not amazing arm
-Handles pressure well
-Catchable ball
-top end play calling

I get all of that, but if he's a Kirk Cousins level talent, that's not a backup talent lol.

Now, personally, I do see starter traits and frankly, in some ways I might even see a little bit better player than Cousins coming out. I was not a huge fan of Kirk as a prospect and his career has unfolded about exactly as I expected. He would put up some decent numbers but never really be considered elite or a winner.

Overall, if you take a guy like Mac, you're banking on the notion that it wasn't just the cast around him. Yeah, that talent would help anyone, but it can't make you throw a pinpoint accurate throw under heavy pressure. I find it interesting that despite how much max protect they do, he's still often under pressure.

At this point, I tend to agree with -- was it Crock? -- on the idea that he may be more like Matt Ryan than Kirk Cousins.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

How so, exactly?

-Accurate
-Decent, not amazing arm
-Handles pressure well
-Catchable ball
-top end play calling

I get all of that, but if he's a Kirk Cousins level talent, that's not a backup talent lol.

Now, personally, I do see starter traits and frankly, in some ways I might even see a little bit better player than Cousins coming out. I was not a huge fan of Kirk as a prospect and his career has unfolded about exactly as I expected. He would put up some decent numbers but never really be considered elite or a winner.

Overall, if you take a guy like Mac, you're banking on the notion that it wasn't just the cast around him. Yeah, that talent would help anyone, but it can't make you throw a pinpoint accurate throw under heavy pressure. I find it interesting that despite how much max protect they do, he's still often under pressure.

At this point, I tend to agree with -- was it Crock? -- on the idea that he may be more like Matt Ryan than Kirk Cousins.

Absolutely agree with OTC.

A lot has been said about the talent surrounding Mac, yet his offensive line hasn't been as dominant as last year. Leatherwood is good, but the whole line has allowed a lot of pressure.

I've been calling the Matt Ryan comparison since this thread was made. I still stand by it.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Yeah, not quite. Plus Jones does this in the SEC against legit defenses.
As much as I'd love to get Zach Wilson next year, it clearly looks like we are playing our way out of position to draft him. A healthy Jimmy G backed up by Mac Jones for 2021 is quite appetizing to me.
Share 49ersWebzone