Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Originally posted by Waterbear:
I just like Mac Jones' feet.

Originally posted by FacePalm:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I just like Mac Jones' feet.

His feet are exceptional and such an underrated trait. Everyone focuses on the arm and mobility. Feet plays such a huge role in passing.

His feet are exceptional from the shotgun, I'm yet to see it from under center. Trey Lance has the best feet from under center, though probably the worst from Shotgun.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Antix:
Just started watching these QBs. I want to hitch my wagon to one and see if I have an eye for this type of thing. Jones is good and wouldn't be too mad if we took him, bit it'd come at the expense of getting an impact player to help us next year and I'm not sure he's worth that. His path to greatness going to have to be his intelligence. If he's as smart as everybody says then that will allow him to outwit defenses. That would be especially attractive with Shannahan as a coach.

I only watch these guys as fits for the Niners and his pass protection here isn't going to be half of what he got at Alabama. He also throws a s**t ton of short swing passes. If we're looking to expand our offense down the field I don't think he's the guy to do it. He has a nice deep ball but generally his receivers are at least a yard or two behind the Defense. They're throws he should make but will come much fewer and far between in the NFL.

If he goes to the right spot he'll be money. He can obviously play the game if he has talent around him, but if a weak team grabs him to start day one he could be in trouble. Really his X factor for me is his smarts. Can that overcome his average tools and athleticism? I'm a big fan of smart players but it's hard for me to determine how that translates. Ima watch some more draft videos to see what others smarter than me have to say.

We should only be concerned with if we are the right spot.

I think we are one of the best teams he could go to. I'm just not sure if he transforms our offense the way most of us are looking for. From what I've seen I wouldn't be upset if we took him because he looks to have a high floor. Just not sure his ceiling is that high.
I think we are one of the best teams he could go to. I'm just not sure if he transforms our offense the way most of us are looking for. From what I've seen I wouldn't be upset if we took him because he looks to have a high floor. Just not sure his ceiling is that high.

We don't need our offense transformed. We averaged more yards with backup QBs than Baker Mayfield's Browns, Russell Wilson's Seahawks, Matt Ryan's Falcons, Matt Stafford's Lions and Lamar Jackson's Ravens.

Turnovers killed us. Mac hasn't shown to be that. Other than his 1st start against Auburn
[ Edited by krizay on Mar 11, 2021 at 2:37 PM ]

We don't need our offense transformed. We averaged more yards with backup QBs than Baker Mayfield's Browns, Russell Wilson's Seahawks, Matt Ryan's Falcons, Matt Stafford's Lions and Lamar Jackson's Ravens.

Turnovers killed us. Mac hasn't shown to be that. Other than his 1st start against Auburn

And Trey Lance threw 1 interception, those sort of things just do not matter.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

And Trey Lance threw 1 interception, those sort of things just do not matter.

Except Jones was playing against future NFL talent with an all SEC schedule, while Lance played vs guys that will be future members on football sites like the webzone.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Sorry if posted, but this ones for Phoenix...

I wonder if Allbright has heard something. 👀 Read the replies to Allbright's tweet.

[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 11, 2021 at 7:11 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Sorry if posted, but this ones for Phoenix...

I don't know how anyone doesn't see Matt Ryan after you watch Jones play a few games. If Mac ends up with Shanny, he's going to be special.

Honestly I think the only reason Jimmy hasn't been moved yet is to hide our interest in Jones and as protection if we don't land him. I may look real foolish on draft day, but I doubt we stand pat at #12. Jimmy is our QB only if Mac goes much higher than expected, like someone trades up into the top 6 for him. If he falls to 7-8, we'll go get him and then get most of our traded picks back by moving Jimmy before day 2 begins, or maybe even in a trade package to Carolina for #8, which actually makes a ton of sense if they can find somewhere to dump Bridgewater... which might be to us if it's Jimmy and #12 for Teddy and #8.
Originally posted by Nastastical:
I don't know how anyone doesn't see Matt Ryan after you watch Jones play a few games. If Mac ends up with Shanny, he's going to be special.

Honestly I think the only reason Jimmy hasn't been moved yet is to hide our interest in Jones and as protection if we don't land him. I may look real foolish on draft day, but I doubt we stand pat at #12. Jimmy is our QB only if Mac goes much higher than expected, like someone trades up into the top 6 for him. If he falls to 7-8, we'll go get him and then get most of our traded picks back by moving Jimmy before day 2 begins, or maybe even in a trade package to Carolina for #8, which actually makes a ton of sense if they can find somewhere to dump Bridgewater... which might be to us if it's Jimmy and #12 for Teddy and #8.

Totally agree. I think this is the plan.

Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by Nastastical:

Totally agree. I think this is the plan.
I think this is what they end up doing as well. It is less risky for them to keep Jimmy and wait to get rid of him until they make sure they Land one of the Qbs they like in the draft. It is less risky, but also that probably results in fewer potential rewards for us. The problem with waiting until the draft to get rid of Jimmy is there are probably going to be fewer teams at that point who will be interested and willing to take on his contract. We could have to outright cut him or end up with significantly less compensation. It is also a lot less money to spend on free agency and this is a very good free agency to have lots of money to spend. We also might be forced to pass on some quality backup options in this free agency. I hope they take the riskier route and get rid of Jimmy before free agency. But I get that's easy to say when it is not your job and livelihood on the line.
Originally posted by genus49:
Damn, Mac really is a Mac. Why does he have a permanently-stoned face? lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLSqqDugI7i/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I'm becoming an even bigger fan now. He's got the Manning face down. Just gonna need him to be the Peyton version in the regular season then switch to the Eli version in the playoffs.

You two are on to something, listen to his cadence, sounds like a stoned Peyton Manning

"Omahaaaa"
I wonder if Allbright has heard something. 👀 Read the replies to Allbright's tweet.

He later clarified that he was only saying that fields will go before Mac. The sucky part is that he also said that we are likely not even in the market for a QB in the draft because we're looking so seriously at Sam Darnold
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
He later clarified that he was only saying that fields will go before Mac. The sucky part is that he also said that we are likely not even in the market for a QB in the draft because we're looking so seriously at Sam Darnold

Share 49ersWebzone