LISTEN: Were The 49ers Exposed In Week 2? →

There are 120 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Now that we signed Verrett and the Rams EDGE dude, and if we resign Trent Williams, I'm ready to draft Jones at #12 if he is there.

He would be fantastic insurance if/when Jimmy goes down. I think once he went in he's not giving the job back to Jimmy. Jimmy cannot be trusted to stay healthy and him going down could actually be a good thing if we draft Jones. Aiyuk will eat far more with Jones in there.

I think Jones is a very good option for people who have zero faith in Jimmy, he's the only one I can see being effective as a rookie while keeping the offense as is.

The alternatives for the zero faith Jimmy club is to trade up for whoever gets passed #2, probably Fields, would probably have to adapt while he learns, but could be well worth it.

If you have around 50% faith (which is where I am) you draft Trey Lance, he'll need a year of sitting to be successful, if Jimmy gives him that we could be on the Chiefs plan where we get great trade value, and still an upgrade at QB.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Or maybe scaring teams to trade ahead of them so a better non QB falls to them. That could be why too.

They're going QB. Not saying it's Jones but they are definitely going QB. My prediction is trade up to #2 for Wilson.

Why would Saleh and the Jets do that? Franchise QB looking them square in face at #2 with a new staff that has zero attachment to Darnold.....and why would they want to build with Darnold?

Best chance is Jets take Fields and trade with Miami at 3.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Too slow IMO for a qb today. Especially with our online. Does things well but nothing great.
Originally posted by fan49:
Too slow IMO for a qb today. Especially with our online. Does things well but nothing great.

Great accuracy; great touch; great decision-making; great pocket presence; great feel for pressure; great post-snap diagnosis; great timing on passes; great command of his offense.

I think everyone agrees he does all of these exceptionally well. I haven't seen one good QB analysis by a respectable person refute any of these. Mac Jones is simply fantastic at everything between the ears.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 15, 2021 at 11:42 PM ]
Tom Brady's old slow ass is still winning super bowls. In fact, he has more rings than all the mobile QBs currently in the NFL combined. Mobile QBs are here to stay for sure but there will always be a place in the NFL for strictly pocket QBs. There are great, decent, and bad mobile QBs. Just like there are great, decent, and bad Strictly pocket passers. I don't care what style they are, just that they are a great QB. I think Mac Jones has a lot of the traits that the special pocket QBs possess. That is just my opinion though.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:

Great accuracy; great touch; great decision-making; great pocket presence; great feel for pressure; great post-snap diagnosis; great timing on passes; great command of his offense.

I think everyone agrees he does all of these exceptionally well. I haven't seen one good QB analysis by a respectable person refute any of these. Mac Jones is simply fantastic at everything between the ears.

He moves well with in the pocket - he doesn't have to be a scrambler, he can simply just throw the ball away.
Originally posted by Heroism:

I agree with all of that, and if he had a great arm I'd be on board with him over all the other QB's, but he doesn't.

I think he can be successful, but I'd rather hitch my wagon to the other guys.
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Why would Saleh and the Jets do that? Franchise QB looking them square in face at #2 with a new staff that has zero attachment to Darnold.....and why would they want to build with Darnold?

WHY?

Sam Darnold
Rashawn Slater
2022 1st

Better

Zach Wilson
(Whatever Darnold fetches)

WHY?

Sam Darnold
Rashawn Slater
2022 1st

Better

Zach Wilson
(Whatever Darnold fetches)

Sorry not buying it. That'd be like SF or CAR at #2 standing pat with Jimmy or Bridgewater (except Darnold is worse), and having Wilson staring them in the face and trading him away. That's how GMs lose jobs. Nope. Wilson + Bateman/Jenkins/Vera-Tucker @ #23 >>>>>> trading away #2. Jets also have 3rd most salary cap space. They're gonna draft Wilson and surround him with talent.
MJ10

Sorry not buying it. That'd be like SF or CAR at #2 standing pat with Jimmy or Bridgewater (except Darnold is worse), and having Wilson staring them in the face and trading him away. That's how GMs lose jobs. Nope. Wilson + Bateman/Jenkins/Vera-Tucker @ #23 >>>>>> trading away #2. Jets also have 3rd most salary cap space. They're gonna draft Wilson and surround him with talent.

Sounds like you acknowledge the lack of talent the jets currently have.

When your main attributes are anticipation and accuracy I'm not sure that's a huge advantage over the others who have stronger arms and are more mobile.

Significant advantage over Lance, but he's had mechanical issues that he's fixed. Also others have a higher average depth of target.

The big one for me is Fields, for someone with apparently poor mechanics that's pretty impressive.
Originally posted by Bloodless:
Tom Brady's old slow ass is still winning super bowls. In fact, he has more rings than all the mobile QBs currently in the NFL combined. Mobile QBs are here to stay for sure but there will always be a place in the NFL for strictly pocket QBs. There are great, decent, and bad mobile QBs. Just like there are great, decent, and bad Strictly pocket passers. I don't care what style they are, just that they are a great QB. I think Mac Jones has a lot of the traits that the special pocket QBs possess. That is just my opinion though.

Concur 100%
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
When your main attributes are anticipation and accuracy I'm not sure that's a huge advantage over the others who have stronger arms and are more mobile.

Significant advantage over Lance, but he's had mechanical issues that he's fixed. Also others have a higher average depth of target.

The big one for me is Fields, for someone with apparently poor mechanics that's pretty impressive.

Ill take anticipation and accuracy all day.
Share 49ersWebzone