There are 99 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
If the Niners pick a QB in the next draft I would draft another one in 2022. Keep drafting one unless one of them turns into a real stud. They don't need to be high picks. Third or 4th rounders would be okay. Even if the guy they pick next year turns out to be the right guy I would still follow up with more QBs. You not only might find some one even better but you could find a good backup or a guy that you could use in a trade.

Agreed.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Using that logic, why not trade up for Trevor Lawrence? He's the top prospect right? Go big or go home!

Ohhhh I knew you were gonna ask that

Because the Jets aren't moving off Lawrence...true generational QB and a team that hasn't had good Qb play in decades.

I'd at least call to see if it's a possibility.

Why not? Just make them an offer they can't refuse.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
The backup thing was pointed more towards Xfactor, the other poster. No, yeah I thought Kirk was par value in the 4th and he developed well in Washington but since then hasn't really made any dramatic improvement or suddenly became a superstar or anything. His roughly 50% career winning percentage is about what I expected. Being a "winner" in college doesn't necessarily mean all that much. Overall, obviously not a bad QB, but still has yet to do anything especially noteworthy in terms of winning in the NFL.

I'd say without question he's outplayed his draft spot, no?

I don't use winning % to determine if a QB is good or not...winning % is a team stat.

Overall he's a decent QB, I'm not a Kirk truther or anything. I think Jones has very similar traits to Kirk.

Correct, and yes it is a team stat, but Kirk has had a good defense and running game for many of his year, and still doesn't seem to take care of business when you think he should. That's what I was getting at with that. And I'm not anti-Cousins either, I'm just pointing out that I think Mac Jones is a better prospect and should be drafted higher as well.
Seeing a trend here.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-weissman-3.0

31. Saints Mac Jones QB, Alabama
Based on what I have seen from Taysom Hill these past two weeks, I can confidently say he is not the answer at quarterback for when Drew Brees hangs them up. The Saints will undoubtedly need to draft an heir apparent and decide that Alabama's Mac Jones is their guy. Jones is experiencing tremendous success this season in his first year as a starter and I believe he is a legitimate prospect at the next level. Jones is extremely accurate with the football and throws one of the prettiest deep balls that you will ever see. Anticipation, instincts, and accuracy are the name of Jones' game and that'll fit in perfectly with Sean Payton.
Mac's stock will continue to rise if he stays consistent with his play. I really think he'll be a top 20 player.
Originally posted by AsianJeff:
It's really going to come down to the cap situation, and the niners aren't in a good spot with a ton of pending free agents, so the picks become even more valuable. Also, something that's been discussed a bit, next year's draft is going to be REAL different especially with some players not playing a full schedule or not playing at all this season. The QB hype is real and other teams will see major value there. Teams like the Chargers, for example, will be receiving a ton of calls for teams wanting to move up for a QB. The 49ers are most likely going to stay somewhat competitive and may be sending out later 1st round picks than maybe a CHI, WFT, ATL, etc.

LAC will be losing Ingram....i wonder if we can offer Armstead or Dee Ford plus picks to move up lol.

Cap situation disappears if they move off Jimmy regardless.

Draft picks while super important are still 50/50 on whether they hit. I mean if SF gets 2 bona fide starters in a draft that's a good draft.

If there's one position you shouldn't be settling for it's QB. A great QB makes those lost picks look like nothing.

I have no idea why people keep throwing ATL in the QB mix, they just paid Ryan. He's not going anywhere. He's not the reason that team isn't good.

AA would cost SF $21M in DM (save nothing) in 2021 to trade. They also would eat $6M in DM by trading Ward. There would also be DM hits in the following yr for both.

Moving players after one year into a new contract is financially not feasible most times.

They love a QB prospect do what you can to get them....if they think Jones is on the same tier cool. You shouldn't wait to draft him either then.

Nice point. Who else did the Chiefs draft the year the picked Mahomes? Anyone? Anyone? Lol. Who cares, I'm sure most of their fan base doesn't know or care.
Mac's stock will continue to rise if he stays consistent with his play. I really think he'll be a top 20 player.

I agree.... but the question is if a team like the bears called us when were on the clock and offered a boat load of picks would you make the trade and let them get Jones... I like Jones, but I would, too much talent in the 2nd-4th range in this draft when it comes to positions of need for us CB/OG/C/Slot WR
Using that logic, why not trade up for Trevor Lawrence? He's the top prospect right? Go big or go home!

Because the Jets aren't moving off Lawrence...true generational QB and a team that hasn't had good Qb play in decades.

And what offer would that be?

There's a bit of a difference between Lawrence and say Wilson/Lance in regards to the "willingness" to move off a player. You know this and so do I
Originally posted by irishluder:

I agree.... but the question is if a team like the bears called us when were on the clock and offered a boat load of picks would you make the trade and let them get Jones... I like Jones, but I would, too much talent in the 2nd-4th range in this draft when it comes to positions of need for us CB/OG/C/Slot WR

Unless SF thinks he's a bona fide franchise QB they should absolutely listen to trade offers.
Originally posted by irishluder:

Absolutely, I'm not trading down if Lance is on the board but if they want Jones or Trask and give us a boatload and Pace is a sorry ass GM who would do it I'll take the picks quick. Let's see Jones play in that Chicago weather as well in GB with that arm. Gives us picks to address oline more dline and cb

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
If the Niners pick a QB in the next draft I would draft another one in 2022. Keep drafting one unless one of them turns into a real stud. They don't need to be high picks. Third or 4th rounders would be okay. Even if the guy they pick next year turns out to be the right guy I would still follow up with more QBs. You not only might find some one even better but you could find a good backup or a guy that you could use in a trade.

Agreed.

Yeah thats what Belichick did. Kept drafting QBs and taking on projects to have reliable backups and trade pieces.

the Jets will ask of the impossible... even if they are in love with Darnold, to get to Trevor, I'm expecting the JETS to ask for our 1st, our 2nd, another 2nd, and two out of the three (Bosa - Warner - Kittle)..

Sounds too much for the 49ers to give, but if YOU. were running the JETS wouldn't you ask for all those??
Originally posted by 9moon:
the Jets will ask of the impossible... even if they are in love with Darnold, to get to Trevor, I'm expecting the JETS to ask for our 1st, our 2nd, another 2nd, and two out of the three (Bosa - Warner - Kittle)..

Sounds too much for the 49ers to give, but if YOU. were running the JETS wouldn't you ask for all those??

That was a good laugh this morning.

Dude give it a rest! Jets for 1 are not passing on taking Lawrence and most importantly 2 were not trading either 3 of those guys. You really have no idea the impact not only they make on the field but in the locker room, plus you don't realize how hard it is to find all pro edge, LB and TE and the fact we found them in the 3rd and 5th.
Share 49ersWebzone