LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 158 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
The key phrase is In College, I don't think we can assume this level of play, I also think the comfort blanket he had in Devonta Smith may be inflating opinions of his processing.

I can't see him keeping NFL DC's up at night, at least not early on.

There are definitely some inflating opinions floating around these forums as it relates to these QBs.

Not sure his processing is one of them.
https://mobile.twitter.com/DraftDiamonds/status/1373036812847878148

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/03/mac-jones-2/
[ Edited by krizay on Mar 19, 2021 at 5:24 PM ]
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Alfienator:
What does big throws actually mean?

What is a big-time throw?

In its simplest terms, a big-time throw is on the highest end of both difficulty and value. While the value is easy to see statistically, the difficulty has more to do with passes that have a lower completion percentage the further the ball is thrown down the field. Therefore, the big-time throw is best described as a pass with excellent ball location and timing, generally thrown further down the field and/or into a tighter window.

The idea of the tight window can often bog people down as they ask, "Why do you want your quarterback to make riskier throws?" But it's less about taking a risk and more about executing a pass that perhaps makes up for a deficiency on the offense. If a receiver can only create a tiny window of separation and the quarterback can put the ball in an optimum spot, he's now created a big-play opportunity despite the receiver, not because of him. "Throwing receivers open" is a necessary skill at the NFL level, and big-time throws are just one way to capture it statistically. Sometimes difficult throws are necessary, because every offense will end up in unfavorable down-and-distance situations at times, and completing a regulation 3-yard out doesn't help on 3rd-and-15.

Furthermore, we may see big-time throws under heavy pressure, turning a negative play into a positive, making a tight-window throw in the red zone where all passing windows are compressed, or perhaps throwing the beautiful 50-yard bomb down the field with good ball location. Hitting receivers #InStride is also important and more difficult to achieve the further the ball is thrown down the field. Well-thrown downfield passes that allow for further catch-and-run opportunities fall into the big-time throw category.

The levels of grading in the PFF system also allows for us to separate simple "catch opportunities" and "optimum throws." Consider a 30-yard 'go' route where the receiver has one step of separation. A quarterback can complete that pass with varying degrees of ball location, either hitting him perfectly in stride, hitting him on his frame for an easy catch, or underthrowing it just enough that the defender can get back in the play, but with the receiver still having the advantage. Allowing the receiver to catch and run is the important part of this scenario to achieve the big-time throw, while simply throwing a "catchable" pass may earn a positive, but it's a step below optimum ball location.

That's an excellent explanation and the most prominent indicator of a pure QB position trait that will amount to success. Athleticism, although a good trait to have, has shown that it can only go so far if the QB can't process and read defenses and go through multiple reads and throw an accurate pass in to a tight window.
Mac at 12 would be a great pick. You just can't find pure pocket QBs every draft that can sit in the pocket, scan and read the field and have great success like Mac too often.
Being "non mobile" is a non issue IMO but how durable is he?

Didnt he miss senior bowl game?
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:

To his credit, they say he could've played and it's obviously not worth the risk. But yes he missed it for non other than an ankle injury
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:

Let's say he won the college equivalent of the super bowl and didn't participate in the pro bowl.
When the 49ers draft Mac Jones, will they switch to a Mac Dre song for the new TD music??
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:
When the 49ers draft Mac Jones, will they switch to a Mac Dre song for the new TD music??

Or even:

Originally posted by 91til:
Or even:

Ooooooooooooooooh, damn, you're taking it back to the high school days. Only the Bay Area heads will even get this discussion.

It'll be the hook from Kriss Kross' "Jump"

The Mac Dad will make ya (Jump jump)
The Daddy Mac will make ya (Jump jump)
I dont know why, but i am sure youre going to draft him...his accuracy is off the charts...a ks qb dream
[ Edited by Frenchfan on Mar 20, 2021 at 4:39 PM ]
After digesting some more Mac Jones this weekend, I've settled on my final comp for him: Kirk Cousins. They're both 6'3" and 215 lbs. Neither player is going to wow you with their physical attributes, but they both possess the intangibles necessary to succeed at the position. They're both high-level managers who have great command of their offense, limit mistakes and won't lose you the game. Both guys don't have strong arms, but both are capable of making every throw given a clean platform. Both guys--despite not having great arms--consistently push the ball down the field. Neither guy is going to single-handedly elevate your offense--they need a good surrounding cast. Cousins was drafted in the 4th, but if we redid that draft, he'd go in the first round. Overall, a Kirk-Cousins comp for Mac Jones makes a ton of sense and is realistic to me, and out of all the comps that will be made for all of the top QBs in this draft, I feel confident saying that Mac Jones, more so than any other QB in this draft, will actually reach the level of his comp'd player. I'll take a 22-year-old Kirk Cousins all day long.
After digesting some more Mac Jones this weekend, I've settled on my final comp for him: Kirk Cousins. They're both 6'3" and 215 lbs. Neither player is going to wow you with their physical attributes, but they both possess the intangibles necessary to succeed at the position. They're both high-level managers who have great command of their offense, limit mistakes and won't lose you the game. Both guys don't have strong arms, but both are capable of making every throw given a clean platform. Both guys--despite not having great arms--consistently push the ball down the field. Neither guy is going to single-handedly elevate your offense--they need a good surrounding cast. Cousins was drafted in the 4th, but if we redid that draft, he'd go in the first round. Overall, a Kirk-Cousins comp for Mac Jones makes a ton of sense and is realistic to me, and out of all the comps that will be made for all of the top QBs in this draft, I feel confident saying that Mac Jones, more so than any other QB in this draft, will actually reach the level of his comp'd player. I'll take a 22-year-old Kirk Cousins all day long.

Totally agree. Though I also see Philip Rivers. Wish I could find his draft profile to see what his pros/cons were.
Share 49ersWebzone