Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

If the comp is Kirk cousins then Kyle might shoot his load
[ Edited by rathman4481 on Mar 20, 2021 at 6:25 PM ]
Originally posted by rathman4481:
If the comp is Kirk cousins then Kyle my shoot his load

I'm planning on it.
Kirk isn't a bad player. He just shrinks in big moments. Doesn't mean that Mac will at all.
Kirk isn't a bad player. He just shrinks in big moments. Doesn't mean that Mac will at all.

Yup. Cousins is a pretty good QB. If he came up big in big games/moments on a more consistent basis he'd definitely be a top 10 QB.

People have become enamored with these cannon armed mobile QBs who make these crazy highlight reel plays but end of the day consistent play from the pocket will still win you games and SBs if the team is solid. Brady getting it done at 42 is all the proof you need.

Kind of ironic that his win came at the cost of Mahomes who is pretty much the gold standard of big arm mobile QBs and we got to see how he looked without decent pass protection. Those guys can help cover for weaknesses on the OL but they can't turn chicken sh!t into chicken salad.

I have a feeling we're not going to make the move up for an elite QB prospect with scary tools so either Mac is there at 12 or we're looking at QB later in the draft.
Originally posted by Heroism:
If the comp is Kirk cousins then Kyle my shoot his load

I'm planning on it.

Comp of Kirk coming out of Michigan state? That's what comps are...not who the NFL player is now vs the rookie.
Originally posted by krizay:
https://mobile.twitter.com/DraftDiamonds/status/1373036812847878148

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/03/mac-jones-2/

A cannon arm? I think this is the only scouting report I have read that says that.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Comp of Kirk coming out of Michigan state? That's what comps are...not who the NFL player is now vs the rookie.

Pro comp and comp coming out are two different things.
Originally posted by genus49:
Yup. Cousins is a pretty good QB. If he came up big in big games/moments on a more consistent basis he'd definitely be a top 10 QB.

People have become enamored with these cannon armed mobile QBs who make these crazy highlight reel plays but end of the day consistent play from the pocket will still win you games and SBs if the team is solid. Brady getting it done at 42 is all the proof you need.

Kind of ironic that his win came at the cost of Mahomes who is pretty much the gold standard of big arm mobile QBs and we got to see how he looked without decent pass protection. Those guys can help cover for weaknesses on the OL but they can't turn chicken sh!t into chicken salad.

I have a feeling we're not going to make the move up for an elite QB prospect with scary tools so either Mac is there at 12 or we're looking at QB later in the draft.

Agreed w/ everything but this year is unique - the roster is pretty much set with no glaring/major needs - team has 9 picks this year and 9 picks next year - when will they be drafting this high again?

Opportunity is ideal now given overall roster heading into 2021 and draft capital for a trade up if a QB is there in striking distance ONLY IF Kyle is in love w/ one of these prospects. We really have no clue what Kyle thinks but if he loves a prospect you bet they'll get aggressive and try to move up especially at the QB position.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

This is my gut feeling and I am fine with it.

Majority of the rest of this fan base though isn't ready for it.

Originally posted by evil:

I'm fine with it as long as we don't draft him over any of the other QB's. I just want us to aim high.
I prefer Wilson but I'd be fine with Mac Jones at #12 if that is who Shanahan likes.

If Jimmy went down I'd almost be excited for what Jones could do in his place and think he would be am immediate upgrade.

I'd even be fine with the selection of Jones triggering a trade with the Pats for Jimmy for their 2nd/3rd round pick, drafting Davis Mills in the 5th and signing Flacco as primary backup to Jones.

We were slow playing the Watson possibility perfectly before all this crap came up with him so he is a hard pass now unless fully exonerated. Thus all I care about about Wilson/Fields/Lance/Jones in the 1st round. Don't care which just get one of them. I'm not high on any of the QBs after Jones.

I was referring to the Bama Pro Day coming up on Tuesday but yeah it wouldn't shock me one bit if Kyle was all over him.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Originally posted by genus49:

Agreed w/ everything but this year is unique - the roster is pretty much set with no glaring/major needs - team has 9 picks this year and 9 picks next year - when will they be drafting this high again?

Opportunity is ideal now given overall roster heading into 2021 and draft capital for a trade up if a QB is there in striking distance ONLY IF Kyle is in love w/ one of these prospects. We really have no clue what Kyle thinks but if he loves a prospect you bet they'll get aggressive and try to move up especially at the QB position.

Yeah. Funny enough I was going into this thread to update my thoughts as I just realized we very well could do the flip side...which is thinking we don't have a ton of holes that we could make the big trade up and then get depth players later in the draft.

im curious which option they go with.

Option A: stand put or even trade down to get BPA and build up the roster depth in a big way

Option B: make the aggressive jump for a toolsy QB and then build the depth with leftover picks

I guess it just depends on where we think our depth and future is and whether we love a QB enough to make that move up.

I definitely think we're eyeing QB early though considering we haven't reworked Jimmy's deal. Maybe they want to see what he does this year but that's an easy way to get cap space and they haven't done it.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

I'm fine with it as long as we don't draft him over any of the other QB's. I just want us to aim high.

If they draft him over the others, it speaks to Kyle's evaluations be it right or wrong.
Share 49ersWebzone