Compete in our 2024 NFL Pick ‘em contest →

There are 250 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:
I started out against Mac, but after watching every pass he threw in 2020, Im all in. Its hard to determine just how important escapability is, while scarifying Mac's elite ability to throw deep balls accurately to where a receiver is going to be. Ive never seen anyone do that consistently. I know that if its not Mac I only want Fields or Wilson. I would rank them, Wilson, Mac, Fields. I was dead set on Fields until I started digging into his 2019 tape, esp vs Michigan.. Hard to accept after watching Mac shred every SEC school over and over. Mac is a top 10 NFL QB rookie year in SF. Aiyuk's about to blow up with MAC or Wilson, thats for sure.

agreed
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
lol they don't watch the tape

I edited the post and included the scouting video breaking down that specific play.

Jones was hunting the defense on that "stare down"

I hate the lack of elite athletic traits but gdamn the QB processor in Jones is insane...i understand the KS temptation
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Someone tell me why Shanny is going to fall in love with a QB who has no (can't find any) college tape running the boot ?

3 1st round picks for a guy who has no film running the boot? Shanny loves the boot .

two 1st round picks

2021/20222/2023 all going to one player, plus a 3rd
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Someone tell me why Shanny is going to fall in love with a QB who has no (can't find any) college tape running the boot ?

3 1st round picks for a guy who has no film running the boot? Shanny loves the boot .

two 1st round picks

2021/20222/2023 all going to one player, plus a 3rd

A player we will have the next 15-20 years.
Originally posted by Joecool:
"I think it's Mac Jones, I do," Simms told Mike Florio on "PFT Live." "I don't know that. But just knowing my friend, knowing his history, knowing his school of thought to make that type of move, that's the one that makes sense to me. I think [Jones] makes sense because after Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson, and you know I think those are the top two guys in the draft with Zach Wilson being No. 1, [Jones} is the most NFL ready right now. I would say Zach Wilson and Mac Jones to me are more NFL-ready as far as reading NFL defenses and being able to do NFL offense type of stuff. You know, Trevor Lawrence was in a little bit more of a collegey offense. I'm not trying to disrespect him with that. I think within that Mac Jones is NFL ready right now and I think that's the kind of guy you trade up to No. 3 to get.

"You don't trade up for a Trey Lance with, 'Well, he's got great talent but we're not sure. It's a little bit of a gamble. There are some things we need to help him with and grow his technique and figure those type of things out.' I think that goes with Justin Fields, too. It's a little bit more of a project. So I don't think you trade up to No. 3 pick for that guy. I think you trade up for a guy where you go, 'I think if I had to that this guy could start and play this year, ready to go Week 1.' And that to me smells like Mac Jones because I expect Zach Wilson and Trevor Lawrence to be gone, of course."

In fact Simms, who likens Jones to Matt Ryan, would be stunnedif the 49ers didn't call Jones' name on draft day.

"I think he's sitting there going, 'I think this guy's just like that,'" Simms said. "He's talented like Matt Ryan, and he can dice you up with his arm and his brain, his decision making. And the athleticism is enough for him to do the boots and play-action for my offense. And if you give me a crack of more than two years with a quarterback like that, I think he thinks, 'I'm going to win a Super Bowl.' And I think that's ultimately why he makes that type of decision. And I like I said, I will be shocked if it's not Mac Jones at No. 3. I really would be."

If he thinks he has Matt Ryan traits, that's great.
Anyone recognize these names: Kevin Challenger, Brandon Robinson, Rich Gunnell, Clarence Megwa? Matt Ryan's WRs in 2007, not exactly Smith and Waddle. Andre Callender? anyone? Ryan's starting RB. Basically zero NFL skill players on that team. Ryan still performed.. Point is that hoping the traits are what Kyle is banking on with Jones and not the glamorous stats from playing alongside three NFL first rounders.
[ Edited by Rathof44 on Mar 29, 2021 at 7:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Nastastical:
So wait, when people criticize Fields for holding the ball too long, you guys blame the offense and the long developing option routes. When Lance is criticized for abandoning plays too quickly to tuck and run, it's because it's what is asked of him. Yet Mac Jones playing within his offense is a knock against him? Forget that this is basically a lot of the same ways Shanny likes to beat teams?

Back to my original point though. Mac Jones has a ton of tape showing him going through his progressions and finding the open man WHEN ASKED TO DO IT. To call him a one read QB is crap. If Jones is going to take heat for the offense he played in, then so should Trevor Lawrence.

No it's the same thing as the QBs, he's playing in the context of his offense. Which made him throw a f**k ton of bubble screens and balls at near the LOS. He ran basically a spread offense that got players in space.

you don't get to puff up Jones as some ridiculously accurate quarterback, when a TON of his passing attempts were not all these tight window throws.

no one is talking about Lawrence, I could careless about him. He like Jones ran a similar scheme though.

jones has been so romanticized in here that some people are tossing around Burrow or even Brady. It's a joke.

look you want to spend 3 1st rd picks that's your deal...in no world is he remotely close to worth that.

That's your uninformed opinion though. You have no clue what front offices value him at or who else might've been trying to trade up to get him, if he's even the person we traded up for.

You guys sit in here and speculate non stop about things you literally have ZERO inside access to and then talk in a way like you are confident in the statements you are making. This is the same garbage that went on with both McGlinchey and Aiyuk. Mock drafts done by fake experts and NFL big boards are vastly different from one another. The funny part is most of these guys just copy one another and make a few changes here and there so it doesn't look too similar, then fans are shocked as hell when Hakeem Butler drops to the 4th round and some were calling him a late 1st, or Harold Landry being a popular name for us to take in round 1 at #9 and he drops to the 2nd round.

two 1st round picks

it's costing three to draft a QB.

plus a 3rd
Originally posted by boast:

two 1st round picks

it's costing three to draft a QB.

plus a 3rd

To get a top QB in what shannahan believes is a top draft class. Which he believes will be followed by underwhelming qb draft classes.
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
So it has come. We are now comparing Mac Jones to hall of famers.

My comp for him is still Andy Dalton. Shanahan can make him a pro bowler, but we will not go anywhere in the playoffs. IMO.

Same here, that's been my comp for a while. he's still the 4th best QB in the division and it wouldn't be remotely close.

Agree. Dalton/Carr safe floor, Cousins/Eli is the uninspiring ceiling. Floor is possibly lower on other guys, but ceiling is R. Wilson, Allen, Watson IMHO.

That's not his floor. His floor is Matt Barkley. There is no guarantee that you get an average starter by drafting him.
Originally posted by boomer49er:

My comp for him is still Andy Dalton. Shanahan can make him a pro bowler, but we will not go anywhere in the playoffs. IMO.

Same here, that's been my comp for a while. he's still the 4th best QB in the division and it wouldn't be remotely close.

Agree. Dalton/Carr safe floor, Cousins/Eli is the uninspiring ceiling. Floor is possibly lower on other guys, but ceiling is R. Wilson, Allen, Watson IMHO.

That's not his floor. His floor is Matt Barkley. There is no guarantee that you get an average starter by drafting him.

Yup

his floor is a career back up

• KID9R
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 3,000 for KID9R.
Originally posted by frenchmov:

huge window, meh ball placement

Lol stares at him the entire way, wide open

Do you ever notice he does the Eli Manning quick turn, brace for impact after he throws because he's going to get hit. I hate that.

Was trying to lift my own spirts. I had his low floor as Leinert or Klingler.
Originally posted by Joecool:
"I think it's Mac Jones, I do," Simms told Mike Florio on "PFT Live." "I don't know that. But just knowing my friend, knowing his history, knowing his school of thought to make that type of move, that's the one that makes sense to me. I think [Jones] makes sense because after Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson, and you know I think those are the top two guys in the draft with Zach Wilson being No. 1, [Jones} is the most NFL ready right now. I would say Zach Wilson and Mac Jones to me are more NFL-ready as far as reading NFL defenses and being able to do NFL offense type of stuff. You know, Trevor Lawrence was in a little bit more of a collegey offense. I'm not trying to disrespect him with that. I think within that Mac Jones is NFL ready right now and I think that's the kind of guy you trade up to No. 3 to get.

"You don't trade up for a Trey Lance with, 'Well, he's got great talent but we're not sure. It's a little bit of a gamble. There are some things we need to help him with and grow his technique and figure those type of things out.' I think that goes with Justin Fields, too. It's a little bit more of a project. So I don't think you trade up to No. 3 pick for that guy. I think you trade up for a guy where you go, 'I think if I had to that this guy could start and play this year, ready to go Week 1.' And that to me smells like Mac Jones because I expect Zach Wilson and Trevor Lawrence to be gone, of course."

In fact Simms, who likens Jones to Matt Ryan, would be stunnedif the 49ers didn't call Jones' name on draft day.

"I think he's sitting there going, 'I think this guy's just like that,'" Simms said. "He's talented like Matt Ryan, and he can dice you up with his arm and his brain, his decision making. And the athleticism is enough for him to do the boots and play-action for my offense. And if you give me a crack of more than two years with a quarterback like that, I think he thinks, 'I'm going to win a Super Bowl.' And I think that's ultimately why he makes that type of decision. And I like I said, I will be shocked if it's not Mac Jones at No. 3. I really would be."

If he thinks he has Matt Ryan traits, that great.
Anyone recognize these names: Kevin Challenger, Brandon Robinson, Rich Gunnell, Clarence Megwa? Matt Ryan's WRs in 2007, not exactly Smith and Waddle. Andre Callender? anyone? Ryan's starting RB. Basically zero NFL skill players on that team. Ryan still performed.. Point is that hoping the traits are what Kyle is banking on with Jones and not the glamorous stats from playing alongside three NFL first rounders.

That's the thing though, multiple people see the comparison between the two. I've been saying it during the CFB season WAY before Simms said it and others who watch him also see the similarities. You just are so blinded by your dislike for him that you rather comp him to someone mediocre because you don't like him, and that's fine, but if multiple people see that as his ceiling, I'm not sure how you see someone like Dalton, who is more athletic than Jones, but Jones is way more accurate and doesn't turn the ball over. It's like you purposely just picked the most meh name you could find that was drafted outside the 1st round because that's where you think Jones belongs.
He's gonna be the pick, isn't he

Was trying to lift my own spirts. I had his low floor as Leinert or Klingler.

Each time somebody mentions him having a masters degree I think Christian Ponder....
Share 49ersWebzone