Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

huge window, meh ball placement

Lol stares at him the entire way, wide open

Do you ever notice he does the Eli Manning quick turn, brace for impact after he throws because he's going to get hit. I hate that.

You hate a guy protecting himself and having the awareness to know a hit is coming? Brady also does that half spin to avoid being laid out. I wish Jimmy learned that move while playing in NE, maybe he wouldn't get hurt as much.
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Originally posted by Joecool:
"I think it's Mac Jones, I do," Simms told Mike Florio on "PFT Live." "I don't know that. But just knowing my friend, knowing his history, knowing his school of thought to make that type of move, that's the one that makes sense to me. I think [Jones] makes sense because after Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson, and you know I think those are the top two guys in the draft with Zach Wilson being No. 1, [Jones} is the most NFL ready right now. I would say Zach Wilson and Mac Jones to me are more NFL-ready as far as reading NFL defenses and being able to do NFL offense type of stuff. You know, Trevor Lawrence was in a little bit more of a collegey offense. I'm not trying to disrespect him with that. I think within that Mac Jones is NFL ready right now and I think that's the kind of guy you trade up to No. 3 to get.

"You don't trade up for a Trey Lance with, 'Well, he's got great talent but we're not sure. It's a little bit of a gamble. There are some things we need to help him with and grow his technique and figure those type of things out.' I think that goes with Justin Fields, too. It's a little bit more of a project. So I don't think you trade up to No. 3 pick for that guy. I think you trade up for a guy where you go, 'I think if I had to that this guy could start and play this year, ready to go Week 1.' And that to me smells like Mac Jones because I expect Zach Wilson and Trevor Lawrence to be gone, of course."

In fact Simms, who likens Jones to Matt Ryan, would be stunnedif the 49ers didn't call Jones' name on draft day.

"I think he's sitting there going, 'I think this guy's just like that,'" Simms said. "He's talented like Matt Ryan, and he can dice you up with his arm and his brain, his decision making. And the athleticism is enough for him to do the boots and play-action for my offense. And if you give me a crack of more than two years with a quarterback like that, I think he thinks, 'I'm going to win a Super Bowl.' And I think that's ultimately why he makes that type of decision. And I like I said, I will be shocked if it's not Mac Jones at No. 3. I really would be."

If he thinks he has Matt Ryan traits, that great.
Anyone recognize these names: Kevin Challenger, Brandon Robinson, Rich Gunnell, Clarence Megwa? Matt Ryan's WRs in 2007, not exactly Smith and Waddle. Andre Callender? anyone? Ryan's starting RB. Basically zero NFL skill players on that team. Ryan still performed.. Point is that hoping the traits are what Kyle is banking on with Jones and not the glamorous stats from playing alongside three NFL first rounders.

That's the thing though, multiple people see the comparison between the two. I've been saying it during the CFB season WAY before Simms said it and others who watch him also see the similarities. You just are so blinded by your dislike for him that you rather comp him to someone mediocre because you don't like him, and that's fine, but if multiple people see that as his ceiling, I'm not sure how you see someone like Dalton, who is more athletic than Jones, but Jones is way more accurate and doesn't turn the ball over. It's like you purposely just picked the most meh name you could find that was drafted outside the 1st round because that's where you think Jones belongs.

Time will tell my man, you know no more than me and vice versa.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
That's not his floor. His floor is Matt Barkley. There is no guarantee that you get an average starter by drafting him.
Which one of these guys comes with that guarantee?
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
That's not his floor. His floor is Matt Barkley. There is no guarantee that you get an average starter by drafting him.

None, which is why you don't draft based on floor. You draft based on tools and if you think you can coach them.

The best driver in the world isn't going to win many races with a Ford Taurus. We are at #3, draft the Ferrari.
[ Edited by boomer49er on Mar 29, 2021 at 7:36 PM ]
Originally posted by evil:

You are trying wayyyyy to hard. That is not "fat", thicc yes but not fat.

This is what a fat QB looks like :

Two and a half of them should, 50% fail rate for 1st round QBs since 2011 but it's better than 96% fail rate after R1.
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Originally posted by evil:

You are trying wayyyyy to hard. That is not "fat", thicc yes but not fat.

This is what a fat QB looks like :

Jesus H C—st son.
  • Jaden
  • Veteran
My last few days after work have consisted of rushing home to watch YouTube videos on all five qb's. Addicted to hearing what all the media has to say about all five qb's. My wife thinks I'm crazy. I think Wilson is as good as Lawrence. After that I have no idea. I do watch college football but it's too hard to say who is better bc of all the variables in college football. I think Fields and Jones are the next safe bet and than Lance fifth. But I also think Lance's ceiling can be higher than any of these guys. It will take a good two years for Lance to hit all cylinders in Kyles system. Lance can be special! The odd thing is Mac has the weakest arm out of all 5 but his anticipation and accuracy results in the best deep balls thrown out of all five of these guys! I know guys are going to heavily disagree but from what I'm seeing, I think he throws the best deep ball in stride. Desmond Howard had a good comparison for Mac Jones. He compared him to Philip Rivers. That's very similar to what I'm seeing. I would rather roll the dice on Lance or Fields only because I think their ceiling is higher. I understand Lance has the highest chance of busting but his upside is so appealing. Forget about Wilson. There's no way he drops to us.

None, which is why you don't draft based on floor. You draft based on tools and if you think you can coach them.

The best driver in the world isn't going to win many races with a Ford Taurus. We are at #3, draft the Ferrari.

Hamilton might......

Whos the Ferrari?
[ Edited by DaleGribble on Mar 29, 2021 at 7:46 PM ]

Just to be clear, you are saying that neither Wilson, Lance, or Fields could perform equal to Mac Jones given the exact same Alabama team? Disagree immensely. Lol

Forget the fact Jones destroyed the QB field this year, Jones performance this year had historical signigance.

No QB in the history of the NCAA has been more efficient.

But forget that for a second.....

None of the historical top 10 QBs (passing efficiency) in the history of the NCAA were as AGRESSIVE and as accurate down the field as Jones. Few can claim they did better then 12.8 yard per completion, heck most of them could not get to 12. (the average is probably 11-11.5) None of the historical top 10 QBs in efficiency can match Mac Jones 77% accuracy.

There is a such thing as being in the right place at the right time, but lets not act like College football is not STACKED for certain teams. There is NEVER an even playing field in the college football season. Team run up the stats and the score on team that should not even be on the field with marquee programs. for example....Ohio State (Fields) only played 6 games in their regular season...only one of those teams was above .500 and half of them were under .400. (For transparency Bama faced 5 sub .500 teams too in an 11 game regular season...but 2 of them were 5-6). Big school QBs tend to have more talent then their opponents …shocker..i know. Crazy how the NFL seems to draft those players at an alarm rate ignoring the "they were surrounded by talent" argument.

I don't think Jones is worth 3 first rounders either for the record. I am shocked by the possibility SF might go this rout, but Jones certainly looks like an NFL QB to me. It sure does feel like its all the eggs in one basket and we are left hoping Jones has some sort of Tom Brady/ Joe Montana brain for the game.
[ Edited by Dshearn on Mar 29, 2021 at 8:14 PM ]
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Have you watched his scouting videos?

Jones knows how to read the defense and knows if they are vulnerable to the play call.

He knows where the ball needs to go for the big play opportunities that come up in a game.

This is one of those plays. He manipulated the safety and helped get his WR wide open.

This is the trait KS dreams of. KS schemes this type of stuff up and gets pissed when the QB doesn't see it

Remember the story of KS seeing the defense and celebrating a TD and walking away before the ball was even snapped? That is what he wants his QB to see as well

I went and found the tape of that exact play

Go to the 18 min mark

https://youtu.be/R4ybhaFcgc8

Every QB who throws a wide open bomb while staring down his 1st read had a good idea of the defense. That's the point.

As for ks, you're bringing up things that aren't exclusive to Mac so idk why you'd settle for him
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Just to be clear, you are saying that neither Wilson, Lance, or Fields could perform equal to Mac Jones given the exact same Alabama team? Disagree immensely. Lol

Forget the fact Jones destroyed the QB field this year, Jones performance this year had historical signigance.

No QB in the history of the NCAA has been more efficient.

But forget that for a second.....

None of the historical top 10 QBs (passing efficiency) in the history of the NCAA were as AGRESSIVE and as accurate down the field as Jones. Few can claim they did better then 12.8 yard per completion, heck most of them could not get to 12. (the average is probably 11-11.5) None of the historical top 10 QBs in efficiency can match Mac Jones 77% accuracy.

There is a such thing as being in the right place at the right time, but lets not act like College football is not STACKED for certain teams. There is NEVER an even playing field in the college football season. Team run up the stats and the score on team that should not even be on the field with marquee programs. for example....Ohio State (Fields) only played 6 games in their regular season...only one of those teams was above .500 and half of them were under .400. (For transparency Bama faced 5 sub .500 teams too in an 11 game regular season...but 2 of them were 5-6). Big school QBs tend to have more talent then their opponents …shocker..i know. Crazy how the NFL seems to draft those players at an alarm rate ignoring the "they were surrounded by talent" argument.

I don't think Jones is worth 3 first rounders either for the record. I am shocked by the possibility SF might go this rout, but Jones certainly looks like an NFL QB to me. It sure does feel like its all the eggs in one basket and we are left hoping Jones has some sort of Tom Brady/ Joe Montana brain for the game.

Good points. But you aren't changing my mind. Also if Jones 'destroyed' the QB field why is he not going #1? He doesn't have all the traits Wilson or Lawrence possess even though he destroyed the.

Sure the big schools recruit these QBs, these QBs want to go to these schools to have a shot at the NFL. So yeah, it's no surprise that many of them are drafted from top tier programs. It is interesting that the two best QBs in the AFC are from non-powerhouse programs. Texas Tech and Wyoming, not exactly Alabama and Clemson.

You made fair and valid points, just staying with my feeling on this one. Lol. If he's the pick, I'll support it l, it would be ridiculous not to hope he succeeds. If he fails, franchise is done for 5+ years, Bosa and Warner leave to play for a winner. The team goes full rebuild. The search renews for the elusive franchise QB. Granted this could be said for all of these guys but Lawrence IMHO. So I hope he is Peyton Manning or at least Phillip Rivers. Also, since he is viewed as NFL ready now, JG should be traded ASAP. Recoup some of that lost draft capital.
[ Edited by Rathof44 on Mar 29, 2021 at 8:35 PM ]
I just don't see the logic behind moving all the way up (#3) to take Jones. Don't get me wrong, I love him as a prospect. I even have him as the #3 rated QB. I think he has the highest floor in this year's class. However, he has the lowest upside of any of the top 4 guys. I have this year's class rated as followed:

1. Wilson
2. Lawrence
3. Jones
4. Fields
5. Mond
6. Lance

The thing that makes me scratch my head is that Garoppolo is basically the same player as Jones when healthy. Pocket passers with average athleticism. Jones throws a better deep ball but Garoppolo is better at the anticipatory and play-action throws. I understand that health is a very important factor in Lynch's decision to make a change at the QB position. Money is as well. However, I don't think Jones allows Shanahan to vastly open up the playbook and add a new dimension to this offense. I don't think you make a move that bold to take a player with a somewhat limited ceiling that is also similar to what you already have in Garoppolo. That's what makes me think something happened to make Lynch pull the trigger on a trade at this specific point in time. He has to have some sort of intel of what was going to happen at the top of the draft. It's pretty much common knowledge that Jacksonville is going with Lawrence. Do they love Wilson and found out that he will be there at #3 because the Jets will take Fields at #2? Are the Jets in love with someone like Sewell or Parsons (possible but not likely) thus leaving Wilson available at #3? Is Fields the 49ers guy and they found out that the Jets are taking Wilson?

Here is my thinking of the situation. Things point to Fields being the 49ers guy. Just hear me out:

I would agree with most that the Jets are likely going for Wilson at #2. My guess is that Lynch was tipped off on it well before Wilson's pro day. It was probably in early March. That's when Lynch said they really started exploring moving up. Having known that, they knew Fields was at a minimum going to be available at #3. There has also been reports that the 49ers explored moving up to #4, #5 and #6 prior to making the deal to #3. This makes sense. They obviously wanted to get ahead of Denver (#9), Carolina (#8) and Detroit (#7). All of those teams could possibly take a QB. Here is where you can really start to piece together the move Lynch made all the way up to #3 and why. We know the 49ers could have traded up to #6 (PHI) because the Eagles ended up trading their pick to Miami. They were clearly open for moving back. Obviously, the 49ers didn't move to #6 because there are 3 picks between the Jets at #2 and that pick. There would be a chance that someone could leapfrog them and take Fields in that range. Then you look at Cincinnati at #5. Maybe they were open to trade or maybe they wanted to stay put. Either way, it is irrelevant. That would still leave Atlanta at #4 and Miami at #3 as spots where someone cold leapfrog them again. Now we know that's true because Miami was obviously shopping #3. That's why the 49ers didn't move up to #5. Then comes the most important part of the equation. I think Atlanta is the main factor behind the reason to move all the way up to #3. I'm almost certain Lynch tried to gauge interest in getting #4 from Atlanta and was denied. This likely let him know that Atlanta is looking to pick up a QB and Fields is someone they would probably covet. He is a GA kid and many outlets have connected him to the Falcons. You might ask: "Miami was clearly open for business, why wouldn't Atlanta just trade with Miami up to #3 to make sure they got Fields?" Your answer is that Miami couldn't get the same return as what they got from San Francisco. Atlanta isn't going to give up two future firsts to move up one spot. That's why the 49ers had to pay so much in draft capital to move all the way up to #3.

Although I have Jones rated higher, I understand the upside Fields brings to Shanahan.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
You guys are raging hard over something you are helpless to and have no control over. Very entertaining and part of me is kind of rooting for Jones to be drafted just to see the vitriol and anger.

The 49ers are very transparent about their intentions. They are taking a QB. We don't know who. No one knows except for perhaps a few prominent people in the 49ers organization. I can't remember who said it, but today I was listening to different takes from the media about the trade, and someone mentioned that we like Jones and Lance the most of the QBs that are likely to be available to us at 3.

I know a lot of people are downplaying Jones because he's not a flashy player, someone who makes splash plays (usually with their legs) and they don't like the idea of trading multiple picks for a guy that is not a force multiplier as Eric Mangini would say, but what if he turns out to be Drew Brees or Matt Ryan? Would you not take that with the 49ers coaching staff and offensive personnel?

To be honest all of these QBs are overhyped. They always are.
Share 49ersWebzone