Compete in our 2024 NFL Pick ‘em contest →

There are 213 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Originally posted by blizzuntz:
No one said there weren't any .

Reading comprehension

The implication is that his success is only because of his WRs. Who are you trying to fool
Originally posted by Joecool:
We don't trade to #3 if Kyle doesn't think he can get who he thinks is the best QB in this draft. I just don't see Kyle giving up that many picks for the 3rd best QB in a draft.

Believe it or not, that's exactly what's going to happen. First and second best are going 1 and 2.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
No it's the same thing as the QBs, he's playing in the context of his offense. Which made him throw a f**k ton of bubble screens and balls at near the LOS. He ran basically a spread offense that got players in space.

you don't get to puff up Jones as some ridiculously accurate quarterback, when a TON of his passing attempts were not all these tight window throws.

no one is talking about Lawrence, I could careless about him. He like Jones ran a similar scheme though.

jones has been so romanticized in here that some people are tossing around Burrow or even Brady. It's a joke.

look you want to spend 3 1st rd picks that's your deal...in no world is he remotely close to worth that.

That isn't what's going on here. What's going on is you guys are talking about how Jones is a 3rd round pick and Shanahan needs to be fired if he takes him. We're saying, "No, Jones is a good QB, and Shanahan will have success with him. As he will the other ones."
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Does anyone else chuckle at the he had WR's talking points?

Go to any game thread, all you hear is how 49er QBs cant find or hit the open WR.

So of course lets knock a guy who finds the open WR.

Its almost like the 49ers have been throwing day one picks at WRs and want a QB that will find them......

There is a difference with hitting a wide open 1st read a lot of the time (Mac) , vs finding an open WR

I feel like I should post this gif every time someone makes this uninformed claim. There are many others, but I'm too lazy to make another one.

Tight window, sure. How many college WRs make that grab? #6Smith. That's what I see when I watch that. Lol
Originally posted by NYniner85:
No it's the same thing as the QBs, he's playing in the context of his offense. Which made him throw a f**k ton of bubble screens and balls at near the LOS. He ran basically a spread offense that got players in space.

you don't get to puff up Jones as some ridiculously accurate quarterback, when a TON of his passing attempts were not all these tight window throws.

no one is talking about Lawrence, I could careless about him. He like Jones ran a similar scheme though.

jones has been so romanticized in here that some people are tossing around Burrow or even Brady. It's a joke.

look you want to spend 3 1st rd picks that's your deal...in no world is he remotely close to worth that.

That isn't what's going on here. What's going on is you guys are talking about how Jones is a 3rd round pick and Shanahan needs to be fired if he takes him. We're saying, "No, Jones is a good QB, and Shanahan will have success with him. As he will the other ones."

Again , who is saying he is a 3rd round pick ?
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Does anyone else chuckle at the he had WR's talking points?

Go to any game thread, all you hear is how 49er QBs cant find or hit the open WR.

So of course lets knock a guy who finds the open WR.

Its almost like the 49ers have been throwing day one picks at WRs and want a QB that will find them......

There is a difference with hitting a wide open 1st read a lot of the time (Mac) , vs finding an open WR

I feel like I should post this gif every time someone makes this uninformed claim. There are many others, but I'm too lazy to make another one.

Tight window, sure. How many college WRs make that grab? #6Smith. That's what I see when I watch that. Lol

Careful , he will now think you are saying he can't make any tight window throws .
Originally posted by pd24:
Watch Mac Jones against Georgia. Extremely average, didn't look good against the rush, bailed out by his receivers a lot, and should have had at least 2 ints where he got bailed out.

The good news is whether we watch it or not, Kyle will over and over. Where's the confidence in Shannahan? He's putting his career on the line with this pick. He's also one of the best offensive minds alive today. If he thinks Mac or whoever else is worth a trade up to three who are we to argue?

That's a Sunday throw right there.
It's a great throw with excellent ball placement. The receiver was pretty open tho haha. Mac Jones is undoubtedly a first round QB in any draft class. But common Simms, the best (or fastest, can't remember the verbiage) processor he's ever seen PLUS a better arm than Joe Burrow? You're basically describing Peyton Manning - why isn't Jones the #1 OA pick?

As for what Burrow did last year vs Jones this year? Jones obviously had a historic year, and both teams had the best talent in CFB, but Burrow's sheer volume of wow plays, putting the team on his back absolutely trumps Jones
Originally posted by roasthawg:

Matched by a Sunday catch

A couple of decent throws in his career does not make him worth spending 3 first round picks.

A couple of Sunday players lol. No doubt about it.
[ Edited by roasthawg on Mar 29, 2021 at 9:57 PM ]

A couple of Sunday players lol. No doubt about it.

100% agree
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Originally posted by Joecool:
We don't trade to #3 if Kyle doesn't think he can get who he thinks is the best QB in this draft. I just don't see Kyle giving up that many picks for the 3rd best QB in a draft.

Believe it or not, that's exactly what's going to happen. First and second best are going 1 and 2.

But does Kyle believe Lawrence and Wilson are better than the guy he wants?

from everything I have watched and read in the last 4 days, Jones has the best ball placement of any QB in this draft.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KID9R:
You are late to the party lol.

He is the best at quickly — and correctly — going through progressions and finding the open guy.

For an example of a contrast, Lance will go through progressions and skip a wide open guy, or fail to see an obvious wide open hot route during a blitz.

There is nothing uncontroversial about this. Everyone who has put in some time watching these guys sees this.

Each has strengths and weaknesses. Honestly, to me any one of them can find success here, and each of them needs to improve on things and will need to compensate for weaknesses.
He had two top 12 picks at WR, they were always open!
lol what the hell does that mean? Nothing, uncontroversial? Do you mean it's controversial?
And while the other two QBs can be coached up on the progression part of the game, you can't coach up Jones' lacking arm strength or mobility.
You can try to justify Jones all you want, but there's NO WAY he's has talent worthy of 3 first round picks.
And before this trade, almost nobody considered him the 3rd best QB

If you think Jones didn't throw into tight windows it's because you didn't watch much of him.

LOL I never said he didn't throw into tight windows, but he did throw the least amount of tight window throws (44) out of the five QBs. Because that team is so good.
Share 49ersWebzone