LISTEN: Were The 49ers Exposed In Week 2? →

There are 149 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Fields' career accuracy ranked 7th overall in 0-10 yards, 6th in 11-19, 14th in 20+ attempts, 4th in throws past the line of scrimmage, 1st in throws over 10 yards, 3rd under pressure, 13th on 3rd/4th down, and 3rd-best touchdown rate-per-pass percentage, compared to 88 QBs"

Per Ian Wharton

Graphic is in link attached. I like Mac but looks like Fields processes fast enough to hit the open guys too.

Being accurate and a great processor aren't the same thing. When we say great processor, we mean he sees it quickly and hits it quickly. You can see it late and still deliver a dime. That's not to say that's what happened here with Field's accuracy. But the two aren't the same.

Side note: Fields is definitely very accurate.

Sounds like you're struggling to hold onto your argument when confronted with actual facts and numbers. If you're processing information slowly, then you're going to be late on throws and will have incompletions... the two go hand in hand.

Ohio State runs a lot of deep combination routes which requires patience... having faith that your guys will get open correlates with him holding onto the ball too long at times.

Sounds like you're ignoring tape because the numbers without context appear to support your argument.

And no, processing less than very fast (not saying Fields is slow; just not as good as Jones) does not always mean you'll be late. You can make an off schedule play to a WR who is no longer running a precision route that requires perfect timing. Instead, now all he needs is an accurate throw.

And even if you're late without leaving the pocket, if you have the arm you can still fire many routes into the second window, and still be accurate, even though you didn't execute the play as it was supposed to be executed.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Just to be clear, you are saying that neither Wilson, Lance, or Fields could perform equal to Mac Jones given the exact same Alabama team? Disagree immensely. Lol

Forget the fact Jones destroyed the QB field this year, Jones performance this year had historical signigance.

No QB in the history of the NCAA has been more efficient.

But forget that for a second.....

None of the historical top 10 QBs (passing efficiency) in the history of the NCAA were as AGRESSIVE and as accurate down the field as Jones. Few can claim they did better then 12.8 yard per completion, heck most of them could not get to 12. (the average is probably 11-11.5) None of the historical top 10 QBs in efficiency can match Mac Jones 77% accuracy.

There is a such thing as being in the right place at the right time, but lets not act like College football is not STACKED for certain teams. There is NEVER an even playing field in the college football season. Team run up the stats and the score on team that should not even be on the field with marquee programs. for example....Ohio State (Fields) only played 6 games in their regular season...only one of those teams was above .500 and half of them were under .400. (For transparency Bama faced 5 sub .500 teams too in an 11 game regular season...but 2 of them were 5-6). Big school QBs tend to have more talent then their opponents …shocker..i know. Crazy how the NFL seems to draft those players at an alarm rate ignoring the "they were surrounded by talent" argument.

I don't think Jones is worth 3 first rounders either for the record. I am shocked by the possibility SF might go this rout, but Jones certainly looks like an NFL QB to me. It sure does feel like its all the eggs in one basket and we are left hoping Jones has some sort of Tom Brady/ Joe Montana brain for the game.

I think that would be the biggest reason Kyle would pick Mac over Fields and Lance. That supposed processor speed. Otherwise I agree Mac (as others have argued) is a 3rd round pick at best - from a physical talent standpoint.

I think that will be the hardest job - is to measure that processor speed. The other stuff, arm strength, 40 yard dash, agility are pretty much easy to detect and measure by eye. I think thats why the moved up a whole month before the draft because they (the 49er brain trust) has to individually look at all - i think - 500+ passing plays from all these three guys and make the best guess as to who has the fastest CPU.
Anybody seen this mock on NFLdraftBuzz - it really lays into the Niners for even thinking about taking Mac Jones?
After reading through much of this thread today...

So glad I like Mac Jones even though I'd prefer Fields. If after a month more of due diligence and watching tape of all four QBs Shanahan still takes Mac Jones then to me he thinks he is just better than Fields/Lance in his eyes and that's good with me. We win that Super Bowl if Jones was QB and not Jimmy. He is an immediate upgrade.

No matter who we pick I'm gonna be While most of you will now dread the draft because of the possibility of a Jones selection, I'm super excited at all possibilities and the positives each of these QBs can bring to us.
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:

So glad I like Mac Jones even though I'd prefer Fields. If after a month more of due diligence and watching tape of all four QBs Shanahan still takes Mac Jones then to me he thinks he is just better than Fields/Lance in his eyes and that's good with me. We win that Super Bowl if Jones was QB and not Jimmy. He is an immediate upgrade.

No matter who we pick I'm gonna be While most of you will now dread the draft because of the possibility of a Jones selection, I'm super excited at all possibilities and the positives each of these QBs can bring to us.

Yep, I'm fine with Fields or Jones
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:

Yep, I'm fine with Fields or Jones

I'm fine with all three. Trey Lance to me is a wild card, but uber talented. The dude is saquon barkley with a big arm. I think if Kyle chooses any one of these three guys, they are going to be extremely successful in the NFL because Kyle will design new systems to make these guys 10X better than what they could have been had they landed with Hoodie or Fat Andy.

Back to Mac Jones (it's his thread anyway) he's the prototype pocket QB, and why not comp his ceiling to the highest ceiling pocket QBs historically. Why limit anybody's potential, specially with a genius coach like Kyle. I mean Kyle - genius - at the age of 41 has almost done more than both Walsh and Bellicheat combined at the age of 41. (Belicheat has two super bowl wins as assistant coach vs Kyle's two super bowl losses as assistant coach and HC)
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
You guys are letting the QB market dictate how good some of these guys actually are. Mac Jones is a 3rd rounder in most drafts and is significantly less talented than the rest of the Tier 1 group.

One of the absolute worst takes in a thread full of terrible takes.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
A couple of decent throws in his career does not make him worth spending 3 first round picks.
One, it's not "a couple." It's CONSISTENT and REGULAR. Second, that's another debate. It could be argued that none of these are worth 3 firsts on the grounds that at least one of them will be two places lower in the draft order, and probably even lower than that because at least two of these teams in the top 7 or so aren't taking QBs.

But there is absolutely NOT some wide gulf between Jones, Lance, and Fields. These three guys are, overall, almost the same in terms of total value. What we have here is a bunch of guys who forgot that QBs win with their brains and their accuracy in the NFL, and mobility is just a nice bonus that helps on those plays where the defense completely wins. And no, this doesn't mean I'm calling Lance or Fields dumb. Far from it. What I'm saying is their athleticism isn't nearly as big an advantage as you guys think it is. It's something that will make a difference on just a few plays per game. On every other play, what's between the ears and the right arms are what decide things. And in those categories Jones is every bit their equal or more, depending on the specific sub-category (enough, I'd argue, to make up for those few plays per game).

In other words: CALM DOWN. Even if Shanahan picks Jones, this team will be fine. If we drew straws on which of these three QBs we took, each and every one would do fine here.

I'm buying what you're sellin'
Don't understand why he gets all this hate. If he wasn't fat he'd probably be QB#2.
Makes extremely quick reads, moves well in the pocket, very good accuracy.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WolfTotem:
Don't understand why he gets all this hate. If he wasn't fat he'd probably be QB#2.
Makes extremely quick reads, moves well in the pocket, very good accuracy.

He's not fat - he's just a little flabby.

Sounds like you're ignoring tape because the numbers without context appear to support your argument.

And no, processing less than very fast (not saying Fields is slow; just not as good as Jones) does not always mean you'll be late. You can make an off schedule play to a WR who is no longer running a precision route that requires perfect timing. Instead, now all he needs is an accurate throw.

And even if you're late without leaving the pocket, if you have the arm you can still fire many routes into the second window, and still be accurate, even though you didn't execute the play as it was supposed to be executed.

This is so very true. I see him throwing to the wrong guy more than he should be when I'm watching him. Yet he still completes his passes. So it's great can can fit it in there but not great he isn't seeing the field to know where to go.

This one play he throws a dime to a double covered TE for a TD. But had dude WIDE OPEN 5 or so yards underneath him and another that had leverage to his right that would have been an EASY TD. But he took that harder throw. Again, great that he made it but wrong reads.

And we've been told in the NFL those are picks.
Originally posted by DraftaQB:
Anybody seen this mock on NFLdraftBuzz - it really lays into the Niners for even thinking about taking Mac Jones?

Moving the sticks with Bucky Brooks and DJ in their last podcast...same thing. They kept saying they didn't want to make this 30 mins of hating on Jones yet continued to do so lol

I agree with everything they said.
I'm starting to move past the denial stage and floating into a level of acceptance.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by DraftaQB:

Moving the sticks with Bucky Brooks and DJ in their last podcast...same thing. They kept saying they didn't want to make this 30 mins of hating on Jones yet continued to do so lol

I agree with everything they said.

Can't disagree with anything they said. If we take Mac Jones it will be ridiculously stupid.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by illinois9er:
I'm starting to move past the denial stage and floating into a level of acceptance.

I still think Trey and Justin are in play. This stuff about Mac - to me - is more smoke and mirrors. I think they are doing it so that (as others have said) the teams picking behind us don't jump in front of us to get either Tray or Justin. I mean yes it's a very low chance any team behind us will do so, but still there is that risk, and so ShanaLynch have to pretend they like Mac to prevent that.
Share 49ersWebzone