There are 146 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Giedi:
I still think Trey and Justin are in play. This stuff about Mac - to me - is more smoke and mirrors. I think they are doing it so that (as others have said) the teams picking behind us don't jump in front of us to get either Tray or Justin. I mean yes it's a very low chance any team behind us will do so, but still there is that risk, and so ShanaLynch have to pretend they like Mac to prevent that.

If that happens then they draft Zach Wilson.

The only way that scenario makes sense is if they like Lance or Fields way more than they like Wilson.

Otherwise I think the simple answer is that Shanahan doesn't give a crap about what the talking heads are thinking, if they knew what they were talking about, they'd have NFL jobs.

Good point about a team jumping in front of them to take Zack Wilson. But what if they prefer Mac, Trey, or Justin vs Zack or Laurence? (I know, I know, they are generally both generally considered more talented than Mac, Trey or Justin). But that would be *a reason* they would put up a front. The other point, as you pointed out, is they like all three but haven't come to a decision yet as to exactly *who* to pick on draft day. So - my point remains either way - Mac is just them saying stuff but they really aren't sure, and both Justin and Trey *still* remain viable candidates and so nobody should assume it's Mac as the #3 pick yet.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If that happens then they draft Zach Wilson.

The only way that scenario makes sense is if they like Lance or Fields way more than they like Wilson.

Otherwise I think the simple answer is that Shanahan doesn't give a crap about what the talking heads are thinking, if they knew what they were talking about, they'd have NFL jobs.

Exactly, and all the talking heads are predicting we pick Jones. That makes me hopeful!
Good point about a team jumping in front of them to take Zack Wilson. But what if they prefer Mac, Trey, or Justin vs Zack or Laurence? (I know, I know, they are generally both generally considered more talented than Mac, Trey or Justin). But that would be *a reason* they would put up a front. The other point, as you pointed out, is they like all three but haven't come to a decision yet as to exactly *who* to pick on draft day. So - my point remains either way - Mac is just them saying stuff but they really aren't sure, and both Justin and Trey *still* remain viable candidates and so nobody should assume it's Mac as the #3 pick yet.

I think its more likely its just not a front and they are intrested in all of those 3 qbs but they definitely favor one which is why they didnt trade to 4 or 5
[ Edited by ritz126 on Mar 30, 2021 at 6:15 AM ]
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ritz126:
I think its more likely its just not a front and they are intrested in all of those 3 qbs but they definitely favor one which is why they didnt trade to 4 or 5

The higher you trade up the more you control your own destiny and the price difference between #3 and #4 or #5 was probably miniscule.

Edit: actually the price for #4 might have been higher since ATL could be in the market for a QB as well. Cincy and Mia were really the only teams that don't need a QB and would be willing to trade down.
[ Edited by All22 on Mar 30, 2021 at 6:20 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by illinois9er:
I'm starting to move past the denial stage and floating into a level of acceptance.

I still think Trey and Justin are in play. This stuff about Mac - to me - is more smoke and mirrors. I think they are doing it so that (as others have said) the teams picking behind us don't jump in front of us to get either Tray or Justin. I mean yes it's a very low chance any team behind us will do so, but still there is that risk, and so ShanaLynch have to pretend they like Mac to prevent that.

I don't think the jets or jags would trade regardless of any offer.

imo Kyle likes 2 of them (maybe 3) easy and I actually take him at his word that he has a month to come to a decision. I didn't think I he was locked in. In fact I feel like he doesn't want to lock in at this point.

It's (according to our Count Down Guy) **30** days till draft day. A lot of things can happen in 30 days. I agree that the chances are slim that any team jumps in front of the #3 pick, but the chances aren't zero. I think that's a valid reason to play the Mac smokescreen card to prevent that from happening. As phoenix pointed out, so what, they just draft either Lawrence or Wilson. Which is fine if the 49ers grade Lawrence or Wilson higher than Zack, Mac, and Trey. But what if not? Why not keep your options open.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by illinois9er:
I'm starting to move past the denial stage and floating into a level of acceptance.

I don't think the jets or jags would trade regardless of any offer.

imo Kyle likes 2 of them (maybe 3) easy and I actually take him at his word that he has a month to come to a decision. I didn't think I he was locked in. In fact I feel like he doesn't want to lock in at this point.

It's (according to our Count Down Guy) **30** days till draft day. A lot of things can happen in 30 days. I agree that the chances are slim that any team jumps in front of the #3 pick, but the chances aren't zero. I think that's a valid reason to play the Mac smokescreen card to prevent that from happening. As phoenix pointed out, so what, they just draft either Lawrence or Wilson. Which is fine if the 49ers grade Lawrence or Wilson higher than Zack, Mac, and Trey. But what if not? Why not keep your options open.

Would they'd probably be willing to take a Herschel Walker/Ricky Williams type trade and that's why you can never say never.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by All22:

The higher you trade up the more you control your own destiny and the price difference between #3 and #4 or #5 was probably miniscule.

Edit: actually the price for #4 might have been higher since ATL could be in the market for a QB as well. Cincy and Mia were really the only teams that don't need a QB and would be willing to trade down.

Well, john said they want to control the process and not be subject to the process. They paid a premium for it though. I think they were fine with paying the premium because now instead of this deal happening the day *of the draft.* It's happening 30+ days before the draft and the 49er brain trust can reduce the first round bust factor by getting to work on uncovering who the three players really are and evaluating those films of all three and trying to guess who has the best shot at winning #6 Lombardi.

[ Edited by ritz126 on Mar 30, 2021 at 6:26 AM ]
  • All22
  • Veteran
Honestly, a surrendering a first to get Wilson at #2 over Jones/Landry/Fields at #3 might seem like a bargain in a few years.
  • All22
  • Veteran

Not exactly a surprise given who he had at WR.

Honestly, a surrendering a first to get Wilson at #2 over Jones/Landry/Fields at #3 might seem like a bargain in a few years.

You're not using four 1st rounders on a guy that has yet to take a single NFL snap. Three is already pushing it.

Not exactly a surprise given who he had at WR.

Most open yards in college football. Had only 16 tight window throws on 400+ passing attempts. Only 11% of his throws were outside of the pocket.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
It's funny, I've been watching ESPN this morning and the talking heads are pretty much like all of you who are against Jones @3.

"Ain't no way they gave up all those picks for Mac Jones."

"When you trade those picks, to get into the top 5, you need a guy with juice, someone with elite playmaking ability."

"You're not beating Russell Wilson, Kyler Murray, or Matt Stafford with Mac Jones."

And then you have a guy like Booger McFarland who says he would draft Fields if he was SF, but is convinced it will be Jones because "Kyle Shanahan believes he is the best play caller in football and wants a player that will run the play the way it's called, no matter what. [Basically passive aggressively saying Kyle is too stubborn and arrogant to change how he evaluates QBs]"
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I'm liking Mac more an more.

I think the fact that those stats have broken records is a good sign his processing skills aren't falsely augmented by talented teammates. If his processing skills were average or below average, then he shouldn't be breaking records at the upper end of the statistics. He should be middle or just above average in those stats, not at the top tier.

Stats (I agree) can lie and may not say much, but one thing it does say is that Mac is worthy to be studied for a possible pick in the first round. It's a starting point, in other words, not something that should slam shut the analysis.
Share 49ersWebzone