LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 135 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by ritz126:

I'm liking Mac more an more.

I think the fact that those stats have broken records is a good sign his processing skills aren't falsely augmented by talented teammates. If his processing skills were average or below average, then he shouldn't be breaking records at the upper end of the statistics. He should be middle or just above average in those stats, not at the top tier.

Stats (I agree) can lie and may not say much, but one thing it does say is that Mac is worthy to be studied for a possible pick in the first round. It's a starting point, in other words, not something that should slam shut the analysis.

Watch this Jones break down video

Many of those "wide open" "stare down" highlights out of context are actually the result of Jones making the read pre snap then manipulating the D to make it happen

The 17 min 40 sec mark is a prime example

Many have seen the short clip v Texas A&M and said Waddle is so good he was wide open so easy throw for Jones. Give it a watch

https://youtu.be/R4ybhaFcgc8
Originally posted by NYniner85:

This tweet has been deleted, what did it say?
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
You are late to the party lol.

He is the best at quickly — and correctly — going through progressions and finding the open guy.

For an example of a contrast, Lance will go through progressions and skip a wide open guy, or fail to see an obvious wide open hot route during a blitz.

There is nothing uncontroversial about this. Everyone who has put in some time watching these guys sees this.

Each has strengths and weaknesses. Honestly, to me any one of them can find success here, and each of them needs to improve on things and will need to compensate for weaknesses.
He had two top 12 picks at WR, they were always open!
lol what the hell does that mean? Nothing, uncontroversial? Do you mean it's controversial?
And while the other two QBs can be coached up on the progression part of the game, you can't coach up Jones' lacking arm strength or mobility.
You can try to justify Jones all you want, but there's NO WAY he's has talent worthy of 3 first round picks.
And before this trade, almost nobody considered him the 3rd best QB

Lack of arm strength? Dude has a stronger arm than Jimmy.

Shanahan may have considered him the 3rd best QB. If he's 5th, 5th is barely worse than 3rd.

1,2 >> 3,4,5.

You guys are losing your minds over a trait that in this offense will affect a handful of plays per game, if that (mobility).
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:

I think the fact that those stats have broken records is a good sign his processing skills aren't falsely augmented by talented teammates. If his processing skills were average or below average, then he shouldn't be breaking records at the upper end of the statistics. He should be middle or just above average in those stats, not at the top tier.

Stats (I agree) can lie and may not say much, but one thing it does say is that Mac is worthy to be studied for a possible pick in the first round. It's a starting point, in other words, not something that should slam shut the analysis.

Many of those "wide open" "stare down" highlights out of context are actually the result of Jones making the read pre snap then manipulating the D to make it happen

Many have seen the short clip v Texas A&M and said Waddle is so good he was wide open so easy throw for Jones. Give it a watch

One reason i like Lance is he has all the physical tools and he seems to make great decisions and is good pre snap. His lack of snaps and experiance obviously is a risk but imo is worth taking

but Mac Jones just has all the tools you want and are the hardest to develop
[ Edited by ritz126 on Mar 30, 2021 at 7:05 AM ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Just listened to an impassioned defense of Jones from Louis Riddick. Using the car analogy, he called him a Mercedes Benz. Smooth.
Originally posted by illinois9er:
I'm starting to move past the denial stage and floating into a level of acceptance.

I still think Trey and Justin are in play. This stuff about Mac - to me - is more smoke and mirrors. I think they are doing it so that (as others have said) the teams picking behind us don't jump in front of us to get either Tray or Justin. I mean yes it's a very low chance any team behind us will do so, but still there is that risk, and so ShanaLynch have to pretend they like Mac to prevent that.

I think it's just that they actually do like all three and are doing their due diligence.

It's like Shanahan said yesterday: Field's agent said he'd be doing another pro day, and Lance's pro day was timed so that going might jeopardize the trade they were working on.
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:

One reason i like Lance is he has all the physical tools and he seems to make great decisions and is good pre snap. His lack of snaps and experiance obviously is a risk but imo is worth taking

but Mac Jones just has all the tools you want and are the hardest to develop

Damn Fields under pressure number tanks
I'm starting to move past the denial stage and floating into a level of acceptance.

Keep it to yourself.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by FL9er:
I think this is about Trey Lance and to a lesser extent Justin Fields. They had to get in front of the Falcons, who are said to love Lance, and they must believe if the Jets DO stay at 2 and take a QB it won't be the one the 49ers want, which is why they were comfortable with making the trade to 3. Remember the Jets have Saleh/LaFleur so even though Joe Douglas has final say, they are probably targeting the same players as SF. You're going to hear a lot of things over the next 4 weeks about who the 49ers prefer, but it's all just hearsay, they're not going to leak anything.

Yeah Breer broke down the whole trade and Albright put up some stuff...kinda connect the dots.

They started sniffing around over a month ago, gauging who was willing to move down and who wasn't (gives you an idea who's in at getting a QB). They had an offer with Miami on the table 3 weeks ago. Miami said they needed to find another trade partner because they didn't want to drop to 12, so they finally got philly on board and it all happened all at once, basically a 3 way trade...SO it was never truly we're cool moving up to 5/6 they wanted 3 (NJ wasn't moving) according to Breer.

Albright right after Lance's pro day said if you want Lance you're gonna have to move into the top 3....I think Fields is without question another option, but tossing in that they're not moving Jimmy it makes me think it's gonna be Lance/Fields to sit for a yr. You're not doing that if you draft Jones IMO. Overall their presser backed up all of it too.

People are making too much of Shanahan not being at Lance's. It was just the timing vs their trade negotiations.
I'm not qualified to judge qb talent, but all my life I've been amazed how the talent evaluators aren't, either.

There's an "it" factor that some guys have, others don't, and it's pretty much innate. Blows my mind how NFL teams have such a hard time identifying it from the college films. In this day and age, I'd think some of these qb training sims would be able to tease this out, since it's as much about crunch-time vision, processing, and decision making as it is about physical attributes, but it seems to be as elusive as ever.

Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, Montana, and many others all had "it", but were overlooked for guys who, on paper (I guess, though everybody's also looking at film) looked better.

A number of people here and elsewhere seem to think Mac Jones has the mental part of that. I love qb's who own the moment, manipulating a defense rather than just reacting to it. Russel Wilson, Mahomes and Rodgers are good examples of guys who do that well. The unicorn is an escape artist qb who also has the intangibles. Any unicorns to be had at #3 this year?

Originally posted by hubbyt:
Mac Jones couldnt beat out Tua or Hurts at Bama. I wonder why. Anyone have any thoughts or insight? Supposedly he has "it" between the ears but it took those guys leaving (or getting hurt) before he could get on the field. I just don't buy this kid as worth not only a top 3 pick but the additional first rounders they gave up. I tend to be disappointed on draft day with our first round picks. Sometimes they surprise me and find guys that end up being ballers but usually I'm not thrilled. Mike Rumph, Kentwan Balmer, Rashaun Woods, AJ Jenkins, Solomon Thomas, McGlinchey ..i know a few different GMS made these moves but man 1st round history for the 49ers is scary lmao. Another guy I remember being like WTF that ended up making me eat my words was Aldon Smith.

I said that to say this, If we take Jones #3 it will be the MOST disappointed I've ever been during the draft.

Because prior to Tua's last year, Jones had thrown 13 passes and Tua had just had a season with 41 touchdowns.
Anyone know what Fields 2019 under pressure rating was? Just seeing if it was a few bad guys in a short season or a more consistent problem.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 30, 2021 at 7:12 AM ]
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

I still think Trey and Justin are in play. This stuff about Mac - to me - is more smoke and mirrors. I think they are doing it so that (as others have said) the teams picking behind us don't jump in front of us to get either Tray or Justin. I mean yes it's a very low chance any team behind us will do so, but still there is that risk, and so ShanaLynch have to pretend they like Mac to prevent that.

I don't think the jets or jags would trade regardless of any offer.

imo Kyle likes 2 of them (maybe 3) easy and I actually take him at his word that he has a month to come to a decision. I didn't think I he was locked in. In fact I feel like he doesn't want to lock in at this point.

It's (according to our Count Down Guy) **30** days till draft day. A lot of things can happen in 30 days. I agree that the chances are slim that any team jumps in front of the #3 pick, but the chances aren't zero. I think that's a valid reason to play the Mac smokescreen card to prevent that from happening. As phoenix pointed out, so what, they just draft either Lawrence or Wilson. Which is fine if the 49ers grade Lawrence or Wilson higher than Zack, Mac, and Trey. But what if not? Why not keep your options open.

Would they'd probably be willing to take a Herschel Walker/Ricky Williams type trade and that's why you can never say never.
Nobody is giving that up. When you believe you have a Franchise QB for 12+ years guaranteed there for you, you simply tell your colleagues we aren't interested and hang up. There's a reason you haven't seen those trades, but once every 20 years and they both bombed on that maneuver. The sooner fans get this pipe dream of the Jets not taking Wilson out of their heads the better.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
About the it factor, I would have a hard time thinking Mahomes had it in 2017.
If anything Deshaun Watson was the it factor personified not Mahomes.
Originally posted by pdc20:
About the it factor, I would have a hard time thinking Mahomes had it in 2017.
If anything Deshaun Watson was the it factor personified not Mahomes.

Whatever the "it" factor is, Mahomes had a competitive drive/work ethic and a tremendous support system that included two professional athletes. Probably a good head start.
Share 49ersWebzone