LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 155 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Originally posted by pdc20:
About the it factor, I would have a hard time thinking Mahomes had it in 2017.
If anything Deshaun Watson was the it factor personified not Mahomes.

FWIW Mahomes & TT averaged 43 ppg his last year. He had a total of 53 TDs. He also had a canon for an arm. He dropped because of the type of offense he ran. Which is ironic since now it gets you drafted #1 overall.
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Originally posted by Giedi:

I'm liking Mac more an more.

I think the fact that those stats have broken records is a good sign his processing skills aren't falsely augmented by talented teammates. If his processing skills were average or below average, then he shouldn't be breaking records at the upper end of the statistics. He should be middle or just above average in those stats, not at the top tier.

Stats (I agree) can lie and may not say much, but one thing it does say is that Mac is worthy to be studied for a possible pick in the first round. It's a starting point, in other words, not something that should slam shut the analysis.

Watch this Jones break down video

Many of those "wide open" "stare down" highlights out of context are actually the result of Jones making the read pre snap then manipulating the D to make it happen

The 17 min 40 sec mark is a prime example

Many have seen the short clip v Texas A&M and said Waddle is so good he was wide open so easy throw for Jones. Give it a watch

https://youtu.be/R4ybhaFcgc8

One reason i like Lance is he has all the physical tools and he seems to make great decisions and is good pre snap. His lack of snaps and experiance obviously is a risk but imo is worth taking

but Mac Jones just has all the tools you want and are the hardest to develop

Damn Fields under pressure number tanks

honestly that surprised me too. I wonder what it was

Can I get the WR separation on those throws please?
[ Edited by Rathof44 on Mar 30, 2021 at 7:20 AM ]
Originally posted by Rathof44:

bit weird to criticize a qb for taking advantage of using his weapons
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by hubbyt:
Mac Jones couldnt beat out Tua or Hurts at Bama. I wonder why. Anyone have any thoughts or insight? Supposedly he has "it" between the ears but it took those guys leaving (or getting hurt) before he could get on the field. I just don't buy this kid as worth not only a top 3 pick but the additional first rounders they gave up. I tend to be disappointed on draft day with our first round picks. Sometimes they surprise me and find guys that end up being ballers but usually I'm not thrilled. Mike Rumph, Kentwan Balmer, Rashaun Woods, AJ Jenkins, Solomon Thomas, McGlinchey ..i know a few different GMS made these moves but man 1st round history for the 49ers is scary lmao. Another guy I remember being like WTF that ended up making me eat my words was Aldon Smith.

I said that to say this, If we take Jones #3 it will be the MOST disappointed I've ever been during the draft.

Because prior to Tua's last year, Jones had thrown 13 passes and Tua had just had a season with 41 touchdowns.

So your saying that an all world QB that an NFL team supposedly traded 3 1st picks to take couldnt become a college starter until his final season? Interesting. I have to wonder why that is. Oh and to your point, Jones only had 13 passes because he didnt beat those other guys out. They both got to Bama in 2017. Period
Originally posted by FiftyNiner:
The unicorn is an escape artist qb who also has the intangibles. Any unicorns to be had at #3 this year?

The unicorn is Zach Wilson. His QB processor is a notch below Jones but above the others. His physical talent is far better than Jones but a notch below the others.

Totally depends on what the Jets do...but there is a non zero chance to get him
I hope mac jones lights it up today. Pro days aren't everything but I want to be confident in whoever we draft. Mac has intangibles and already has the burrow esque nfl readiness, but that dui and hesitancy with going back to Bama which could be a bigger deal than most people in the media would consider. But if everything checks out I think he will be great with us. Now that I've stopped following the sheep and cleared my head I'm more excited about the thought of possibly getting him. He may not be a physically imposing threat, but he isn't a statue and he should be able to surprise us with throwing a little off platform today.

Context of the stats. Should I explain?
[ Edited by Rathof44 on Mar 30, 2021 at 7:30 AM ]

Not at all. When you clearly have the best weapons/players in college football around you and are throwing to receivers that have 5+ yards separation it's completely fair to ask if he could make those same plays in the NFL where that kind of separation happens very rarely.
So your saying that an all world QB that an NFL team supposedly traded 3 1st picks to take couldnt become a college starter until his final season? Interesting. I have to wonder why that is. Oh and to your point, Jones only had 13 passes because he didnt beat those other guys out. They both got to Bama in 2017. Period

Worked out well for Mitch Trubisky. Couldn't beat out Marquise Williams. Started one year and went #2 overall.

Originally posted by Giedi:
I'm liking Mac more an more.

I think the fact that those stats have broken records is a good sign his processing skills aren't falsely augmented by talented teammates. If his processing skills were average or below average, then he shouldn't be breaking records at the upper end of the statistics. He should be middle or just above average in those stats, not at the top tier.

Stats (I agree) can lie and may not say much, but one thing it does say is that Mac is worthy to be studied for a possible pick in the first round. It's a starting point, in other words, not something that should slam shut the analysis.

Go look who's thrown out top end stats in the past...you don't scout stats
Originally posted by 49er4life:

Not at all. When you clearly have the best weapons/players in college football around you and are throwing to receivers that have 5+ yards separation it's completely fair to ask if he could make those same plays in the NFL where that kind of separation happens very rarely.

Thank you.

It's weird to not acknowledge it. Limited tight window throws. Tons of RPOs/screens.
Originally posted by 49er4life:

yet against ranked opponents he was still able to produce

if were concerned about talent vs opposition than why do we like Fields who played against the Big 10 or Lance in the FCS?
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Mac Jones couldnt beat out Tua or Hurts at Bama. I wonder why. Anyone have any thoughts or insight? Supposedly he has "it" between the ears but it took those guys leaving (or getting hurt) before he could get on the field. I just don't buy this kid as worth not only a top 3 pick but the additional first rounders they gave up. I tend to be disappointed on draft day with our first round picks. Sometimes they surprise me and find guys that end up being ballers but usually I'm not thrilled. Mike Rumph, Kentwan Balmer, Rashaun Woods, AJ Jenkins, Solomon Thomas, McGlinchey ..i know a few different GMS made these moves but man 1st round history for the 49ers is scary lmao. Another guy I remember being like WTF that ended up making me eat my words was Aldon Smith.

I said that to say this, If we take Jones #3 it will be the MOST disappointed I've ever been during the draft.

Because prior to Tua's last year, Jones had thrown 13 passes and Tua had just had a season with 41 touchdowns.

Why didn't Mahomes beat out Davis Webb? Mahomes didn't get the start until Webb got hurt.

Why didn't Brady start every game his last year? (That's in fact why Mooch said they passed on him)
Share 49ersWebzone