49ers explode for 21-point third quarter, then hold on late to take 30-24 win over Cowboys →

There are 364 users in the forums

DeMeco Ryans, Texans HC

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Has he been named DC officially, yet?

Kick ass Bald Poon 2.0

...need more shine, though!
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by LVJay:
In his first season as DC, my gut feeling is he'll be as good as Saleh (at the least)... I won't be shocked if he do better.

all comes down to which players will be here on the D side of the ball..

He won't. Saleh is gonna take the entire secondary with him except Ward. We have no money. Jet's have the third most. The unfortunate curse of putting together a Super Bowl talented team in the cap era. We're going to have a really good dline but Kyle needs a qb. Bad.
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
Demeco is a former MLB and a really good one. And no position has a better understanding of a defense than the MLB who is the QB of that side of the football. Intelligent MLB like Demeco, perhaps in a future Luke Kuechly or Pat Willis could be excellent DC.
On the other hand, guys like Kocurek who are focused on the trenches may not be the best calling plays as they don't have the full picture of a defense.

I can't think of too many guys with that were primarily coaching DL before becoming a DC or HC and having any level of success at HC besides Buddy Ryan and Rex Ryan.
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by Niners99:
He sucked as a HC. He was a great LB coach.

He knew jack s**t as a LB coach. Also had reputation for not exactly being a grinder.

Great story by Bart Scott:
https://youtu.be/3uY3qO4d5HA?t=1585

That's f'n depressing...

That story is why I wish Rex would still be a DC. I LOVED watching the Ravens when he was their DC. I remember one time they lined up and I don't think they had anyone lined up over the O-lineman. You just had no idea what they were going to do. Such a fun defense to watch.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

He knew jack s**t as a LB coach. Also had reputation for not exactly being a grinder.

That's f'n depressing...

That story is why I wish Rex would still be a DC. I LOVED watching the Ravens when he was their DC. I remember one time they lined up and I don't think they had anyone lined up over the O-lineman. You just had no idea what they were going to do. Such a fun defense to watch.
Dudes ego is so massive he won't go back to DC. Lol that singletary story, it all makes sense why he was such a s**ty coach. Everyone knew he didn't know anything about X's and O's and was all rah rah
[ Edited by FredFlintstone on Jan 16, 2021 at 6:09 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Sourball:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
If Saleh wanted to bring him as DC then he must be plenty qualified. I think it's the best case scenario to keep as much continuity possible with defensive coaching and system.

It's going to be interesting what kinds of tweaks and changes he'll make with this defensive scheme in 2021.

Learning from any mistakes that Saleh made and do better (I hope) for starters...
As long as his first order of business isn't pushing for Brian Allen to be penciled in to replace Richard Sherman then I think he will do fine.
(Poor Brian Allen )
Saleh had good success with the scheme , hopefully DeMeco can keep it going.
Like Seifert's wife told him when he took over for Bill Walsh. "Just don't screw it up"
What defensive scheme did Ryans play in the NFL?
Anybody want to be a prophet and foresee any tweaks that he might make from his playing days?

I don't know who Richard Smith is, but that was his DC in HOU for his first couple seasons. Richard Smith was a LB coach for the 49ers for six seasons when Mooch was HC. What I don't see is any experience playing behind a wide9. So Ryans experience with the wide9 is only from the 49ers the past two seasons, if my quick research is correct. He also had a season with Wade Philips in HOU and Billy Davis in PHI so he's played in a 4-3 and a 3-4.

Since Ryans was with the 49ers ever since Kyle came on board, Ryans was in position to see the transition from the 4-3Under front to the wide9. In other words, he was here the entire time as the 49ers morphed their defense to what it is now. That seems encouraging that he will stay with the wide9, although there's a possibility that he grit his teeth and went with the transition to the wide9 while not believing it was the best thing to do. As far as coverages, and what he did in his playing days, I can't tell.

Originally posted by ninerjok:
If Saleh wanted to bring him as DC then he must be plenty qualified. I think it's the best case scenario to keep as much continuity possible with defensive coaching and system.

It's going to be interesting what kinds of tweaks and changes he'll make with this defensive scheme in 2021.

Learning from any mistakes that Saleh made and do better (I hope) for starters...

Well one thing I hope he learns is to see whether he can get more edge rusher depth. I'd love getting Hyder back and teaming him with Bosa and maybe getting a young Hyder/Blair 2.0 in the draft. I hope Demeco doesn't value QB pressures more than sacks, that's for sure.

I bet he did grit his teeth through the transition. I know I did. But it worked out. I think Kocureck will be a big part of keeping the wide 9, and helping Demeco coach and develop the wide 9. I think I can see some schematic developments on the back end of the wide 9 specially with the D Line so spread out, maybe the Cornerbacks, outside linebackers and safeties can cheat more one way or another - in certain situations - specially if they anticipate a mobile QB calling a roll out or sprint out.

Those
Originally posted by NCommand:
Kick ass Bald Poon 2.0

Now only If I were hired, I'd be Kick Ass Bald 3.0, also need more shine, lol, anyway, hope they announce DeMeco as the next DC SOON.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Kick ass Bald Poon 2.0

Now only If I were hired, I'd be Kick Ass Bald 3.0, also need more shine, lol, anyway, hope they announce DeMeco as the next DC SOON.

Originally posted by socal1632:
He won't. Saleh is gonna take the entire secondary with him except Ward. We have no money. Jet's have the third most. The unfortunate curse of putting together a Super Bowl talented team in the cap era. We're going to have a really good dline but Kyle needs a qb. Bad.

Good. Everyone from the secondary, minus Eman, can go

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:

I count something like 38+ unrestricted free agents going into the offseason. No less than 10 are from the defensive back side. Saleh definitely has a pick of the litter there. Specially with all the cap space his team has. I'm thinking we are able to retain maybe 15% to 20% of those defensive backs, maybe, again depending on our cap situation. Or perhaps the team will only want about 15% to 20% of those guys back because the rest maybe aren't very good? Either way, the 2020 team will not look the same in just about every position in 2021. Wow.
This is official now too.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:

We're so desperate for DBs right now, keep Eman and Moore. Unless they make big improvements, those two will only be solid back ups. We gonna need to look into the draft and FA for sure.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

That's f'n depressing...

Dudes ego is so massive he won't go back to DC. Lol that singletary story, it all makes sense why he was such a s**ty coach. Everyone knew he didn't know anything about X's and O's and was all rah rah

I can only imagine SIngletary in the linebacker room, on the chalkboard with guys like Ray Lewis and Bart Scott in the room. It's like when the students can tell the teacher doesn't know what they are talking about. Scott also had a great explanation as to why Singletary didn't know much about X's and O's in explaining the 46.
MECO officially DC yet???
Share 49ersWebzone