There are 216 users in the forums

DeMeco Ryans, Texans HC

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Heroism:
With so few CBs signed for 2021, the 49ers have a chance to re-design their CB group. I don't think they want that long, tall CB anymore since they've moved away from the Cover3 scheme. I'm assuming that they will stay zone dominant since the focus of the drafts has been on DL. But with more Quarters concepts, you need CBs that can man up as well.

This staff has drafted four CBs (Spoon, TMoore, THarris, Reed). Only DJReed is under 6'0. The other three are 6'2+. What they do with the CBs will give us a hint at how Ryans envisions his defense.

Yup, I was just thinking about this. Now is the time if they want to change things up.

This draft will have Ryans and Tony Oden (DB coach, hired early 2020) on the staff. No DBs were selected in the 2020 draft after Oden was hired. We'll see soon what traits they value.

I'm extra curious about this as Barrows was on recently and confirmed it was Kyle who wanted the C3 to expand and brought in both Kocurek and Woods. What's the next wrinkle under DeMeco? Matching personnel?
  • thl408
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
With so few CBs signed for 2021, the 49ers have a chance to re-design their CB group. I don't think they want that long, tall CB anymore since they've moved away from the Cover3 scheme. I'm assuming that they will stay zone dominant since the focus of the drafts has been on DL. But with more Quarters concepts, you need CBs that can man up as well.

This staff has drafted four CBs (Spoon, TMoore, THarris, Reed). Only DJReed is under 6'0. The other three are 6'2+. What they do with the CBs will give us a hint at how Ryans envisions his defense.

Well they did draft Reed to be a Safety. I remember the frustration of watching Moore attempting to play CB and Reed attempting to play FS. Was frustrating how they seemed to keep trying to put squares in circle holes.

You're right. In that case they've drafted three CBs (Spoon, Moore, Harris) all are 6'2 or taller. Yeah, they drafted Moore to play CB so I consider him as a CB when they drafted him.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by Niners99:
He sucked as a HC. He was a great LB coach.

He knew jack s**t as a LB coach. Also had reputation for not exactly being a grinder.

Great story by Bart Scott:
https://youtu.be/3uY3qO4d5HA?t=1585

That's f'n depressing...

lol the Bears are interviewing him for DC.

We often assume that the MIKE linebacker is the brain of the defense. That Bart Scott interview suggests otherwise (regarding Singletary). wow

That was awesome.

I forgot how good that Ravens linebacking Corp was. Hartwell, Lewis, Boulware, Suggs and Scott...
Well they did draft Reed to be a Safety. I remember the frustration of watching Moore attempting to play CB and Reed attempting to play FS. Was frustrating how they seemed to keep trying to put squares in circle holes.

Something tells me Jeff Hafley had a major role in these 2 f**k ups.

Yup, I was just thinking about this. Now is the time if they want to change things up.

This will be very interesting for sure
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
This Betcher hire may be sneaky good. Has a very good reputation and track record.
Originally posted by okdkid:
This Betcher hire may be sneaky good. Has a very good reputation and track record.

He was pretty decent as DC for the Cards. He can be a sounding board for Ryans and help with gameplanning and strategy. I'm guessing he'll have some involvement with coaching the LBs too.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by okdkid:

He was pretty decent as DC for the Cards. He can be a sounding board for Ryans and help with gameplanning and strategy. I'm guessing he'll have some involvement with coaching the LBs too.

I love these kinds of hires. At one point, SF used to have the largest coaching staff. With as many out-going coaches Kyle has, keep building up that pipeline.
Was he fired, why did the Giants let him go?

Is this the coach that Janoris could not get along back then or am I thinking of another DC?

Something tells me Jeff Hafley had a major role in these 2 f**k ups.

Originally posted by 9moon:
Was he fired, why did the Giants let him go?

Is this the coach that Janoris could not get along back then or am I thinking of another DC?

Wasn't fired. He was DC under Shurmur, Shurmur got fired and new HC Joe Judge brought in his own staff.
Originally posted by NCommand:

He came up under Todd Bowles in Arizona. He loves those triple A gap blitzes just as much as Bowles, if not moreso. Could be an indication that the defense is going to be more aggressive overall.

Excellent. Shanny understands that it's 2021, and that every style of defense has useful elements that can be pieced together. Taking a page right out of the Belichick playbook.

[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 23, 2021 at 2:30 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He came up under Todd Bowles in Arizona. He loves those triple A gap blitzes just as much as Bowles, if not moreso. Could be an indication that the defense is going to be more aggressive overall.

Sounds like a great hire. I love Bowles aggressiveness.
Share 49ersWebzone