There are 226 users in the forums

DeMeco Ryans, Texans HC

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Sounds like a great hire. I love Bowles aggressiveness.

More aggressiveness up front likely means more man coverage in the back, which circles back to thl's comment that we may see DeMeco revamp the 49ers' CB profile with guys that can play man coverage.

CB will be in play at 12 if this is the case. Also, this makes Verrett a priority FA as he's a rare talent that shines in man and zone.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 23, 2021 at 3:12 PM ]
Bettcher....good hire
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Was he fired, why did the Giants let him go?

Is this the coach that Janoris could not get along back then or am I thinking of another DC?

Wasn't fired. He was DC under Shurmur, Shurmur got fired and new HC Joe Judge brought in his own staff.

got it.. thanx evil one!!

now, lets get some players that will fit Meco's and Cher's D-STYLE !!!!

CONGRATSSSSS AND WELCOME !!!
Very interested in what they're going to do at cb if they're going to blitz more
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
got it.. thanx evil one!!

now, lets get some players that will fit Meco's and Cher's D-STYLE !!!!

CONGRATSSSSS AND WELCOME !!!

"CHER"

Please, bruh, PLEASE!
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Very interested in what they're going to do at cb if they're going to blitz more

We can try and sign Gareon Conley.. I think he's finally coming around.. and that FS from Minnesota (Harris)... I don't think they'll cost too much..
  • thl408
About Bettcher. This guy was getting recent buzz as a DC hire and 49ers got him in an assistant role. I'm glad he has DC experience for Ryans to lean on. Sounds like a good addition to the staff. (love reading the bolded)
--------
https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/61910/former-new-york-giants-d-coordinator-james-bettcher-hungry-for-next-chance
Bettcher has a clear vision of what his defense will look like. "Schematically that can look like whatever it needs to look like because we're multiple. That's what we have to be to defend ever-changing offenses."

"Lives and dies by the blitz," said one personnel executive familiar with Bettcher's defenses. "You need to have good personnel, especially in the back end."
Originally posted by thl408:
About Bettcher. This guy was getting recent buzz as a DC hire and 49ers got him in an assistant role. I'm glad he has DC experience for Ryans to lean on. Sounds like a good addition to the staff. (love reading the bolded)
--------
https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/61910/former-new-york-giants-d-coordinator-james-bettcher-hungry-for-next-chance
Bettcher has a clear vision of what his defense will look like. "Schematically that can look like whatever it needs to look like because we're multiple. That's what we have to be to defend ever-changing offenses."

"Lives and dies by the blitz," said one personnel executive familiar with Bettcher's defenses. "You need to have good personnel, especially in the back end."

this is the BEST part of getting this guy... his experience especially outside our system will add on to Meco's knowledge and contribute to our D-playbook.. maybe, just maybe, he can convince the coaching staff that Ward, Johnson and AA can continue their career some place else.
Originally posted by Heroism:

More aggressiveness up front likely means more man coverage in the back, which circles back to thl's comment that we may see DeMeco revamp the 49ers' CB profile with guys that can play man coverage.

CB will be in play at 12 if this is the case. Also, this makes Verrett a priority FA as he's a rare talent that shines in man and zone.

Exactly!!!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
How would you even label this personnel package with so many flexible players on the field? It isn't a straight 4-3, 3-4, nickel or dime. It all depends how you classify the players. If you count Bucannon as a linebacker, Baker as a safety and Jones as a lineman, it would be a 3-2-6, which would technically be a dime defense. If Baker is a linebacker, it's a 3-3-5 nickel. Good luck to offensive coordinators trying to figure it out.
https://www.giants.com/news/anatomy-of-defensive-coordinator-james-bettcher-s-schemes-20322353

If you merge the 3-2-6/3-3-5 with the Wide 9, what do you get? Answer - we'll find out this next season with Demeco as coach!

Do we trade back if Surtain and Farley are both gone?
This is a super smart move by Kyle, I imagine it's his hire because he's HC so he hires all the other coaches. Give Ryans a great sounding board with a guy who's already been DC and pretty darn good at it.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerjok:
This is a super smart move by Kyle, I imagine it's his hire because he's HC so he hires all the other coaches. Give Ryans a great sounding board with a guy who's already been DC and pretty darn good at it.

Agree. Nothing better than an older Defensive Coordinator who's had game planning and adjustment experience to learn from. Looks like Kyle's planning to lose Demeco to HC position sometime in the near future. Demeco is only 36. This Bettcher guy can step in should Demeco get poached unexpectedly, I'm thinking.
Originally posted by ninerjok:

There was a new blitz wrinkle added for Fred Warner last game against Seattle, where if he was the free LB, instead of dropping into coverage, he'd blitz. He got 6 pressures by himself and Wilson was mostly contained. They're also looking at Carl Lawson as a pass rush coach.

I think Kyle wants to bring the heat (esp. in the A gaps).given he's seen first hand what it does to our own QB's and how it helped neutralize Wilson and Murray late in the season.

Just another layer of evolution for Kyle and HIS defense.

This. It's an interesting hire because philosophically Bettcher is different from what we've done under Saleh. His hire is a clear indication there are some more tweaks coming to the defensive scheme.

I imagine some more aggressiveness on blitzes. You hit it on the head though. I'm interested in what we do with our corners now. Bettcher believes much more in man coverage than Saleh did and if that is to become something we use more under Ryans then resigning Verett is that much more important now. Man coverage corners are not cheap and ones that excel are tough to find hence why they cost a premium. So I agree it makes that number 12 pick a little more interesting now.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jan 24, 2021 at 7:04 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone