There are 253 users in the forums

DeMeco Ryans, Texans HC

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
Why did they just hand him the job? Did they even do a search? He just got into coaching and is going to jump from "Inside Linebacker coach" to DC of a team that wants to win the super bowl?

I could understand if we were being coached by a defensive minded coach that would control the defense anyway, but we're not.

Are the 49ers brass really that impressed with him or is this a "punt" until better candidates are available?

There are some big names available: Wade Phillips, Jack Del Rio....

They ran a listing on Indeed
Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Bettcher....good hire

IDK, he's getting lambasted on Twitter repeatedly by Giants Fans.
Most agreed that:
  • his system was too complicated
  • played guys out of postion
  • he's wasn't a good DC
  • but is a decent coach

If true, I guess it's good he's only here to assist DeMeco
🤔

In his defense the Giants teams sucked and were in full rebuild mode. He did very well with better personel in Arizona. Top 10 3 years running.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by Giedi:
More zone blitz? If so it's not something new, but actually something Seifert came up with to stop Walsh's offense in practice.

But yeah, I've always been a believer in more man coverage and pass rush, and less run defense and zone drops for linebackers. I like the emphasis on more blitzing and pass defense. Ironically that means you bolster your D-Line and D-Backs and less linebacker talent.

No Bettcher typically runs more multiple alignments and more man coverage than what we're accustomed to. That's what I was referring to.

Yeah it's that aspect (bolded) where I think Bettcher could be most influential. Not so much the increased blitzing or more man coverage. The 49ers in 2020 increased their blitz rate from 2019, but it was very gameplan specific.
Blitz rate per dropback (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/opp.htm
2019: 21%
2020: 33%
So blitzes weren't a part of the 49ers 2020 identity like it was for a Todd Bowles (Bettcher) defense, who blitzed consistently every game.

What I'm more interested in with the Bettcher hire is how Bettcher believes in multiple fronts and how he uses that to keep offenses off balance presnap. The 49ers were a static wide 9 front last season. Like most teams, they'd mix things up on 3rd downs. But how does Bettcher influence the fronts on 1st and 2nd downs? Do the 49er step away from being wide9 so predominantly? Bettcher has mainly coached 3-4 defenses, so perhaps Ryans is looking to blend in multiple looks into the fronts.
  • thl408
Most agreed that:
  • he's wasn't a good DC
  • but is a decent coach

🤔

Just from reading around, I can see why the bolded is said of Bettcher. There comes a point where more pages to the playbook results in diminishing returns. Ryans needs to find that balance.
Originally posted by thl408:
More zone blitz? If so it's not something new, but actually something Seifert came up with to stop Walsh's offense in practice.

But yeah, I've always been a believer in more man coverage and pass rush, and less run defense and zone drops for linebackers. I like the emphasis on more blitzing and pass defense. Ironically that means you bolster your D-Line and D-Backs and less linebacker talent.

No Bettcher typically runs more multiple alignments and more man coverage than what we're accustomed to. That's what I was referring to.

Yeah it's that aspect (bolded) where I think Bettcher could be most influential. Not so much the increased blitzing or more man coverage. The 49ers in 2020 increased their blitz rate from 2019, but it was very gameplan specific.
Blitz rate per dropback (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/opp.htm
So blitzes weren't a part of the 49ers 2020 identity like it was for a Todd Bowles (Bettcher) defense, who blitzed consistently every game.

What I'm more interested in with the Bettcher hire is how Bettcher believes in multiple fronts and how he uses that to keep offenses off balance presnap. The 49ers were a static wide 9 front last season. Like most teams, they'd mix things up on 3rd downs. But how does Bettcher influence the fronts on 1st and 2nd downs? Do the 49er step away from being wide9 so predominantly? Bettcher has mainly coached 3-4 defenses, so perhaps Ryans is looking to blend in multiple looks into the fronts.

It's interesting. Earlier in his career Ryans played for Richard Smith who is in that Dan Quinn type mode. Rush 4, heavy zone, play fast. Just a simple scheme.

Ryans first year in Philly the team transitioned that season to Todd Bowles as defensive coordinator. I found an article where Ryans talked about enjoying his time playing for Bowles...

It was a tough situation when he came in, kind of halfway through the season and everything is put on him to run the defense," said DeMeco Ryans, one of six players left on the defense who was here under Bowles.

"But he came in, he drew up schemes that he wanted to run, that he felt we should run, and he put players, whatever your strength was, he put you in that position to excel at your strength.

"He didn't ask guys to do something that they didn't do well, and I think that's why he excels as a coach. Because as a coach, the only thing you can do is put players in position to make plays, and he definitely knows how to do that."

Eagles fans didn't see much change in the product on the field when Bowles replaced Castillo that Oct. 16.

The Eagles allowed an NFL-high 319 points in 10 games under Bowles and went 1-9.

But Ryans saw something special in Bowles, who had begun the season as the Eagles' defensive backs coach after winning two of three games as the Dolphins' interim head coach at the end of 2011.

"I know there was a lot of speculation about him being a head coach even before he was here," Ryans said.

"Todd, he's just a solid guy all-around. He's very respected, players respect him a lot, other coaches respect him a lot. He's a really smart defensive coach and he gets it done. He doesn't have to yell and scream to get it done, he's this intense guy without the screaming and the yelling. He gets it done.

"I enjoyed my time with Coach Bowles and I enjoyed playing with him."

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/philadelphia-eagles/todd-bowles-couldnt-save-2012-eagles-left-impression...

So I think we can get a sense of Ryan's thinking here. People are likening Bettcher's hire to Kyle wanting a veteran mind around Ryans. I think it is just as likely that Bowles left an impression on Ryans and he himself wants to tweak some things. I'm looking for a more aggressive defense with more presnap alignments to confuse the offense. Bettcher is a protege of Bowles so it makes sense why Ryans would want him on the staff. Of course this is just speculation on my part. We'll see.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jan 24, 2021 at 1:10 PM ]

I can see the wide 9 and multiple alignments to stop scrambling QB's by equalizing the man-down math on defense by more blitzing, thats for sure. I'm all for more man and more heat on the QB or even a run blitz from a pass defense alignment if it's to contain or trap a scrambling QB.

Agreed since we play so many games with scrambling QB's
  • thl408

It's interesting. Earlier in his career Ryans played for Richard Smith who is in that Dan Quinn type mode. Rush 4, heavy zone, play fast. Just a simple scheme.

Ryans first year in Philly the team transitioned that season to Todd Bowles as defensive coordinator. I found an article where Ryans talked about enjoying his time playing for Bowles...
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/philadelphia-eagles/todd-bowles-couldnt-save-2012-eagles-left-impression...

So I think we can get a sense of Ryan's thinking here. People are likening Bettcher's hire to Kyle wanting a veteran mind around Ryans. I think it is just as likely that Bowles left an impression on Ryans and he himself wants to tweak some things. I'm looking for a more aggressive defense with more presnap alignments to confuse the offense. Bettcher is a protege of Bowles so it makes sense why Ryans would want him on the staff. Of course this is just speculation on my part. We'll see.

So the 49ers have a 4-3 foundation that's primarily zone, and now Ryans brings in a guy that is 3-4 with lots of man concepts and likes to blitz. Looks like they could go in any direction from here. Gonna be fun speculating all offseason and try to project what they do in the draft. This thread will be fun.

So the 49ers have a 4-3 foundation that's primarily zone, and now Ryans brings in a guy that is 3-4 with lots of man concepts and likes to blitz. Looks like they could go in any direction from here. Gonna be fun speculating all offseason and try to project what they do in the draft. This thread will be fun.

Pretty much. Just hope this doesn't turn into some Jim O Neil type stuff where it looks good on the white board but gets sloppy when tried on the field.

More or less Bowles is known for his creative blitzes and I would think that's more what Ryans is looking for. Creative disguises for his blitzes and he may be a little more aggressive on earlier downs than Saleh was.

I doubt the scheme will be a wholesale change. Just some slight adjustments.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jan 24, 2021 at 1:46 PM ]
Bit of a red flag that we needed to hire a DC consultant... Kyle and Lynch are thirsty for more 3rd round picks
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dhp318:
Bit of a red flag that we needed to hire a DC consultant... Kyle and Lynch are thirsty for more 3rd round picks

Doesn't hurt to have another set of eyes with preparation.
[ Edited by Hopper on Jan 24, 2021 at 3:49 PM ]

Originally posted by Hopper:

Not a red flag lol.
Most agreed that:
  • he's wasn't a good DC
  • but is a decent coach

🤔

Just from reading around, I can see why the bolded is said of Bettcher. There comes a point where more pages to the playbook results in diminishing returns. Ryans needs to find that balance.

Like the hodge podge playbook of the one, Greg Roman.
How much do you think his defense will give up game 1 of next season?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by Hopper:

Not a red flag lol.

I don't think it's a red flag either. I think Bettcher will make him Better. I think Demeco has tremendous experience on the defensive side as a player and a coach, but going from a position coach to a coordinator -- is a big jump and it will help that Bettcher will be able to guide him through that transition as a former DC himself. It also doesn't hurt that Bettcher can step in as DC if Demeco is somehow poached either. Win-win.
I think the defense is going to drop off badly without Saleh. He was so under appreciated here.
Share 49ersWebzone