Compete in our 2024 NFL Pick ‘em contest →

There are 178 users in the forums

DeMeco Ryans, Texans HC

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jcs:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/patrick-mahomes-gave-chiefs-teammates-025414593.html

"But it started with that pick. In its aftermath, Mahomes gathered some teammates on the sideline and basically outlined the gist of the San Francisco game plan: The 49ers were in a cover-4 shell but driving their safeties hard toward the line of scrimmage to disrupt the intermediate routes. They hoped their defensive line could put enough pressure on him to not worry about the back end.

But they forgot one thing: What happens when the guy on the other side of the field knows your plan? Then what?

You get got."

Seems like our players need to do some self scouting and start understanding that they don't have to bite on the first thing they see.
From an article I read. Sadnesses.

The Chiefs offense averaged 9.1 yards per play, the most allowed by the 49ers since 1965.
Originally posted by jed_X:
One thing I noticed the past 2 games is that the interior dline's not getting and push at all run or pass. They're getting push 2-3 yards at the snap.

I was going to post this too. I was watching our d-line line on every play at the game yesterday. The number one thing I noticed was how far off the line the interior defense was getting pushed back on runs and passes. Their interior blockers created a huge pocket for Mahomes to stay clean with no pressure for five seconds or so. Didn't even have to move off his spot more than a couple times. Givens and whoever is playing the interior were useless.

Because of the non-existent interior push, I saw our linebackers like Fred Warner having to get past the blocks of other 300 pound linemen. I think without Armstead or a stout interior d-line, Atlanta ran it with ease up the middle and KC could use their personnel to have five eligible receivers because they never needed to keep anyone in to block against the non-existent pass rush. Kelce had all day to run routes. Poor Kittle has to stay in to block half the time.

The other consequence of a non-existent pass rush is that Mahomes had all day to find open receivers. So our corners had to cover a lot longer than is reasonable. As far as I could tell we didn't blitz much if at all.

By contrast, our offensive line was horrible yesterday. There were free rushers and plays where our line got beat so badly that it looked like they were free rushers. The effects of Kinlaw not working out is now rearing its ugly head. Maybe the Niners should try and trade for Buckner somehow.
[ Edited by Psinex on Oct 24, 2022 at 11:40 AM ]
This man got outclassed big time yesterday. Let's hope yesterday's masterclass ass whooping was the wake up call needed to get the defense back on track.
I'm guessing we don't have to worry about losing him In the off-season after a performance like that.

I'm not sure If that makes me happy or sad right now.
People act like the defense and offense are separate in this system. If we come out establish the run and control the TOP, the defense is lights out. As soon as we start feeling like we need jimmy to throw 35+ times a game, it's no coincidence that the defense starts to implode. Almost any defense that's out on the field too long will be exploited sooner or later. It's only a matter of time before the OC figures out what works, or the defense just gasses from being out there too long.

But now that we have a legitimate number one rb and a solid backup with a legitimately 1-2 punch with Mitchell back soon, I don't want to see jimmy throwing more than 20-25 times a game moving forward. That's the only winning formula until we get a qb that can throw to all parts of the field, so we gotta live and die by it.
Originally posted by Redandgoldsf:
People act like the defense and offense are separate in this system. If we come out establish the run and control the TOP, the defense is lights out. As soon as we start feeling like we need jimmy to throw 35+ times a game, it's no coincidence that the defense starts to implode. Almost any defense that's out on the field too long will be exploited sooner or later. It's only a matter of time before the OC figures out what works, or the defense just gasses from being out there too long.

But now that we have a legitimate number one rb and a solid backup with a legitimately 1-2 punch with Mitchell back soon, I don't want to see jimmy throwing more than 20-25 times a game moving forward. That's the only winning formula until we get a qb that can throw to all parts of the field, so we gotta live and die by it.

The run was fine and Jimmy was playing great until the offensive line started giving up a lot of pressure like the 2nd half of the Super Bowl. For whatever reason, our tackles were giving up most of the edge pressure. The interior actually seemed to be doing better.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Torally agreed. I definitely don't want to take anything away from PM either. He's special but like you said, whatever game plan we did have, he hardly had to break a sweat in the game.

Originally posted by Psinex:
I was going to post this too. I was watching our d-line line on every play at the game yesterday. The number one thing I noticed was how far off the line the interior defense was getting pushed back on runs and passes. Their interior blockers created a huge pocket for Mahomes to stay clean with no pressure for five seconds or so. Didn't even have to move off his spot more than a couple times. Givens and whoever is playing the interior were useless.

Because of the non-existent interior push, I saw our linebackers like Fred Warner having to get past the blocks of other 300 pound linemen. I think without Armstead or a stout interior d-line, Atlanta ran it with ease up the middle and KC could use their personnel to have five eligible receivers because they never needed to keep anyone in to block against the non-existent pass rush. Kelce had all day to run routes. Poor Kittle has to stay in to block half the time.

The other consequence of a non-existent pass rush is that Mahomes had all day to find open receivers. So our corners had to cover a lot longer than is reasonable. As far as I could tell we didn't blitz much if at all.

By contrast, our offensive line was horrible yesterday. There were free rushers and plays where our line got beat so badly that it looked like they were free rushers. The effects of Kinlaw not working out is now rearing its ugly head. Maybe the Niners should try and trade for Buckner somehow.

Obviously there was no push up the middle and we missed Arik and Kinlaw badly. Really bad. And yes mahomes had all day to find his target. Also Bosa is back but is he fully healthy. As for DBs, one injured but playing, and another i wonder if injured (both DBs).

Did Meco get outcoached last 2 games? You bet. Did he make any changes at halftime? Not that i saw. Do i like him as our DC? Yes. Does he have a way to go yet before being a HC? Yup.
Originally posted by ChillninDaBay:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/patrick-mahomes-gave-chiefs-teammates-025414593.html

"But it started with that pick. In its aftermath, Mahomes gathered some teammates on the sideline and basically outlined the gist of the San Francisco game plan: The 49ers were in a cover-4 shell but driving their safeties hard toward the line of scrimmage to disrupt the intermediate routes. They hoped their defensive line could put enough pressure on him to not worry about the back end.

But they forgot one thing: What happens when the guy on the other side of the field knows your plan? Then what?

You get got."

Ryans got played and the 9ers still have missing starters and injured players on D aka gave up 44 pts, no way you can win with Jimmy Bonehead at QB who can only put up 21 pts on average regardless who is HC or OC.

I wonder what the all time win loss record is for QB's who's D gives up 35+ points in a game?

Last year it was 3-61.

But of course blame the QB.

Bonehead sucks, he's the QB of course you blame him, 99% of the time bonehead will always be outmatched and outclassed by Mahomes especially if the D isn't championship and that's EXACTLY what happened yesterday. Bonehead might not even be a starting QB next season somewhere else says all.
[ Edited by ChillninDaBay on Oct 24, 2022 at 12:31 PM ]
If you going to trade for CMC you might as well pick up Suh when Kinlaw and Armstead won't be back any time soon.. fail.

Originally posted by Psinex:

The run was fine and Jimmy was playing great until the offensive line started giving up a lot of pressure like the 2nd half of the Super Bowl. For whatever reason, our tackles were giving up most of the edge pressure. The interior actually seemed to be doing better.

That's the problem. Jimmy tends to play great until this, until that, ie until conditions are no longer perfect for him to succeed aka when he's now asked to go win the game. We're probably screwed no matter what until we get a qb that can hit every part of the field
That's the problem. Jimmy tends to play great until this, until that, ie until conditions are no longer perfect for him to succeed aka when he's now asked to go win the game. We're probably screwed no matter what until we get a qb that can hit every part of the field

Like Mahomes? 🤣 bonehead clearly outmatched and outclassed again and championship D was not championship yesterday.

Trey has the arm and talent, have to wait till 2023 to see if Trey pans out sadly.
[ Edited by ChillninDaBay on Oct 24, 2022 at 12:44 PM ]
Pretty depressed at the game. Hoping bosa and c ward come back from their injuries or this is gonna be a brutal
Guys you do realize that Ryans is a relatively new DC going against one of the greatest minds in the game, Andy Reid. Ryans got taken to school yesterday, I hope he learns from it. If Saleh was here, the same thing would have happened.
I think our #1 defense was just facing bad opponents until now
Nope this is not Bears 1985 or Ravens 2000…
although bears lost that shootout vs dolphins…
Share 49ersWebzone