DeMeco Ryans, Texans HC

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Anyone else scared about the drop off with the D. Saleh was an elite DC.

A lot will depend on health and the roster

I can see a temporary drop off as Demeco gets used to being a DC, but the fact that he's surrounded by former DC's - I think - will be very brief as he'll have plenty of help getting him up to speed.

JUST the fact that he is willing to be surrounded by DCs with different styles already shows us that he's going to be MORE innovative than Robert "IMHOTEP" SALEH !!

Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by braap49er:
I think the defense is going to drop off badly without Saleh. He was so under appreciated here.

I don't

Agreed. We may have some bumps and bruises, but I think we'll be ok.
It'll be a bit rocky to start but Bosa will smooth things out.
He certainly doesn't hurt, but if we recall year one under Saleh vs this year.... there was a lot of growing pains and he even got called out for being out coached/schemed etc. but he's constantly improvised etc so kudos to him.

I'm thinking more of the same here lol Ryans may get some humble pie at times this season, but let's hope it's all a learning experience.

TBF, year one the talent level was 💩

Anyone remember Cassius Marsh? He was our leading pass rusher - for 2 years.

ray-ray Armstrong, Elijah Lee and Brock Coyle got a bunch of starts when Reuben Foster couldn't stay healthy and Bow asked to be released mid year, they even started Eric Reid at LB one game,, Dontae Johnson was starter #1, Eli Harold was our Sam. Our depth was awful.

Yup. I remember being roasted here for saying the defense was pretty solid in 2018. We would have pretty decent yardage numbers but were near the bottom in points- due to lots of turnovers on their side of the field IMO. Richard Sherman defending Saleh that year revealed a lot to me. Seems that the idea was there, we just were lacking the players.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Shanny/Lynch providing Ryans with a lot of experienced assistance is going to help big time.

I don't imagine Ryans repeating some of Saleh's mistakes... imagine more blitzes, better adjustments / preparations going into games and an even more violent defense. I have a feeling the secondary won't make fans sick to their stomachs under Ryans.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Shanny/Lynch providing Ryans with a lot of experienced assistance is going to help big time.

I don't imagine Ryans repeating some of Saleh's mistakes... imagine more blitzes, better adjustments / preparations going into games and an even more violent defense. I have a feeling the secondary won't make fans sick to their stomachs under Ryans.

uhmmmm.... u still gotta have the players and a great chemistry..

.... and which secondary are you talking about? the ones we have now??
Originally posted by lamontb:
Anyone else scared about the drop off with the D. Saleh was an elite DC.

A lot will depend on health and the roster

I can see a temporary drop off as Demeco gets used to being a DC, but the fact that he's surrounded by former DC's - I think - will be very brief as he'll have plenty of help getting him up to speed.

JUST the fact that he is willing to be surrounded by DCs with different styles already shows us that he's going to be MORE innovative than Robert "IMHOTEP" SALEH !!

dannggggg... GEIDI laughingggg !!!!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:

uhmmmm.... u still gotta have the players and a great chemistry..

.... and which secondary are you talking about? the ones we have now??

Calm down, Moony, calm down bruh you all over the place bruh lol

I'm just going to mention the DBs that I don't mind sticking around and I won't mention the ones I don't really care for... Verrett, Moore, Moseley, Taylor, Williams and maybe M. Harris as a back up or hybrid safety/LB roll.

We still gotta look into FA and draft, but there could also be someone in camp who could step up (Webster, Tim Harris, etc.)...
Good luck to him against these 3 QBs
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

Right! No pressure
Originally posted by swoosh6996:

Right! No pressure
And some folks put Bosa on the block for Wason??
Originally posted by sanjo49er:

Right! No pressure

The positive is we'll see if we need a new DC next year

Only Russ & Kyler scare me, I'm not afraid of Stafford, we know how to stop QBs like him, no it won't be the same D with Ryans, but I'm assuming the scheme won't change much, we didn't lose any major coaches(besides Saleh), we kept Kocurek, so I expect the DL to be playing top tier in 2021, especially when Bosa is back.

Right! No pressure

I never understood the idea of trading Bosa or Warner in a deal for Watson, we ended up wit the 2nd pick, I was 100% sure he was gone to Arizona until Kyler declared, thank god he did, we needed Bosa, as for Warner, we traded Kwon away, so who takes Warner's spot then? Also the idea of trading Kittle is dumb too, same for Deebo, Aiyuk, Kinlaw & Dre, we drafted 4 quality players, starters. John has done a great job, he drafted, by my count 8 starters for 2021, Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, Bosa, Kinlaw, Warner, Dre, & Moore. Then he signed Wilson & Moseley as UDFAs, Givens & Daniels could rotate at NT, so there's more starters IMO.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Only Russ & Kyler scare me, I'm not afraid of Stafford, we know how to stop QBs like him, no it won't be the same D with Ryans, but I'm assuming the scheme won't change much, we didn't lose any major coaches(besides Saleh), we kept Kocurek, so I expect the DL to be playing top tier in 2021, especially when Bosa is back.

Right! No pressure

I never understood the idea of trading Bosa or Warner in a deal for Watson, we ended up wit the 2nd pick, I was 100% sure he was gone to Arizona until Kyler declared, thank god he did, we needed Bosa, as for Warner, we traded Kwon away, so who takes Warner's spot then? Also the idea of trading Kittle is dumb too, same for Deebo, Aiyuk, Kinlaw & Dre, we drafted 4 quality players, starters. John has done a great job, he drafted, by my count 8 starters for 2021, Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, Bosa, Kinlaw, Warner, Dre, & Moore. Then he signed Wilson & Moseley as UDFAs, Givens & Daniels could rotate at NT, so there's more starters IMO.
Agree.
I'll just add we are actually under the cap *and* have 10 draft picks this year - in a year when a lot of teams are in cap hell. There is going to be good quality free agents for ShanaLynch to sign this offseason and there is the draft picks - ten of 'em! I have the feeling that it's 2019 all over again even though we're drafting at the number 12 spot instead of the number 2 spot.
Man 3 really really really good QBs in the division. This dude has his work cutout for him.
Man 3 really really really good QBs in the division. This dude has his work cutout for him.

This man has Bosa too.

...but, I get it. Gotta grab some D studs (and some OL!) during the draft and FA!
Feel bad for him. At least Saleh could look good against Goff.
Share 49ersWebzone