LISTEN: Were The 49ers Exposed In Week 2? →

There are 118 users in the forums

DeMeco Ryans, Texans HC

Shop 49ers game tickets
This defense needs a linebacker besides greenlaw who can push a pro running back backwards.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Demeco has not done a good job at scheming against mobile guys. Wilson may be the exception but he's a shell of his former self. Mariotta and Mahomes both found time by either shifting around behind the LOS or taking off. What's telling is the lack of adjustment on his part. It seems like I'm both games he stuck with the game plan and it cost us…
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
This defense needs a linebacker besides greenlaw who can push a pro running back backwards.

I agree with you. I love Warner but he's not intimidating imo. He's very good, but he's certainly not Patrick Willis.
Originally posted by DrEll:
Demeco has not done a good job at scheming against mobile guys. Wilson may be the exception but he's a shell of his former self. Mariotta and Mahomes both found time by either shifting around behind the LOS or taking off. What's telling is the lack of adjustment on his part. It seems like I'm both games he stuck with the game plan and it cost us…

But that was the part that was most concerning. We barely even moved Mahomes off of his spot. He was mostly sitting back there with no pressure on him. I don't think he even ran for any yards.
Originally posted by Redandgoldsf:
Originally posted by Psinex:
People act like the defense and offense are separate in this system. If we come out establish the run and control the TOP, the defense is lights out. As soon as we start feeling like we need jimmy to throw 35+ times a game, it's no coincidence that the defense starts to implode. Almost any defense that's out on the field too long will be exploited sooner or later. It's only a matter of time before the OC figures out what works, or the defense just gasses from being out there too long.

But now that we have a legitimate number one rb and a solid backup with a legitimately 1-2 punch with Mitchell back soon, I don't want to see jimmy throwing more than 20-25 times a game moving forward. That's the only winning formula until we get a qb that can throw to all parts of the field, so we gotta live and die by it.

The run was fine and Jimmy was playing great until the offensive line started giving up a lot of pressure like the 2nd half of the Super Bowl. For whatever reason, our tackles were giving up most of the edge pressure. The interior actually seemed to be doing better.

That's the problem. Jimmy tends to play great until this, until that, ie until conditions are no longer perfect for him to succeed aka when he's now asked to go win the game. We're probably screwed no matter what until we get a qb that can hit every part of the field

Less than perfect conditions meaning tackles beat right at the snap turning into free rushers? Trey and QB's not named Kyler or Lamar are not getting out of those either. He sure as hell wouldn't have time to find any part of the field apart from what's right in front of him. From what we've seen from Lance, he hasn't been able to handle much pressure either. He's taken a ton of sacks. But he's only played in about 4 games, so there's no telling with him.
People act like the defense and offense are separate in this system. If we come out establish the run and control the TOP, the defense is lights out. As soon as we start feeling like we need jimmy to throw 35+ times a game, it's no coincidence that the defense starts to implode. Almost any defense that's out on the field too long will be exploited sooner or later. It's only a matter of time before the OC figures out what works, or the defense just gasses from being out there too long.

But now that we have a legitimate number one rb and a solid backup with a legitimately 1-2 punch with Mitchell back soon, I don't want to see jimmy throwing more than 20-25 times a game moving forward. That's the only winning formula until we get a qb that can throw to all parts of the field, so we gotta live and die by it.

The run was fine and Jimmy was playing great until the offensive line started giving up a lot of pressure like the 2nd half of the Super Bowl. For whatever reason, our tackles were giving up most of the edge pressure. The interior actually seemed to be doing better.

That's the problem. Jimmy tends to play great until this, until that, ie until conditions are no longer perfect for him to succeed aka when he's now asked to go win the game. We're probably screwed no matter what until we get a qb that can hit every part of the field

Less than perfect conditions meaning tackles beat right at the snap turning into free rushers? Trey and QB's not named Kyler or Lamar are not getting out of those either. He sure as hell wouldn't have time to find any part of the field apart from what's right in front of him. From what we've seen from Lance, he hasn't been able to handle much pressure either. He's taken a ton of sacks. But he's only played in about 4 games, so there's no telling with him.

I think redan makes a great point… and it almost mirrors Kyle's decision making, in my opinion. Jimmy (and Kyle) are f**king great, until we hit turbulence…. Then they tend to wilt.

Actually for the amount of time he's played he has handled pressure fine. You also can't run the same defense vs Jimmy that you would be Lance. You run C0 with blizers Lance will actually throw the ball downfield. He can actually extend plays if something breaks down.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Actually for the amount of time he's played he has handled pressure fine. You also can't run the same defense vs Jimmy that you would be Lance. You run C0 with blizers Lance will actually throw the ball downfield. He can actually extend plays if something breaks down.

With his inexperience, Trey is currently pretty slow at making reads and getting the ball out quick. And he bailed out of the pocket with the slightest bit of pressure. I'm sure he'll improve but I didn't see what you're describing apart from his deeper throws. The fact that he made them look effortless was encouraging. But it's a moot point, we gotta wait until next year to see him play again.
DeMeco Ryans sucks. Do does linebackers coach Johnny Holland. Two straight games of horrible defensive play with three missing linebackers.

I'd rather sit the linebackers and play the game with seven defensive linemen. It can't be worse than what fans have been subjected to in the last two games.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
DeMeco Ryans sucks. Do does linebackers coach Johnny Holland. Two straight games of horrible defensive play with three missing linebackers.

I'd rather sit the linebackers and play the game with seven defensive linemen. It can't be worse than what fans have been subjected to in the last two games.

With Demeco being a former LB I would expect him to teach up his current group. It's hard to believe that AlShair being out has led to them being so bad. Fred has been slow to fill and avoiding contact when he's not getting bowled over. AA and Kinlaw being out means Fred needs to shed and make tackles, but he's not doing it.

Originally posted by mitpdub:

With Demeco being a former LB I would expect him to teach up his current group. It's hard to believe that AlShair being out has led to them being so bad. Fred has been slow to fill and avoiding contact when he's not getting bowled over. AA and Kinlaw being out means Fred needs to shed and make tackles, but he's not doing it.

That's another thing. When has Azeez ever been healthy? I understand that speedy linebackers are nice players to have. But if plodders can stay healthy and on the field, I'll take the plodders. If Flannigan-Foulup is forced onto the field again, the 49ers are in big, big trouble.
Originally posted by mitpdub:

That's another thing. When has Azeez ever been healthy? I understand that speedy linebackers are nice players to have. But if plodders can stay healthy and on the field, I'll take the plodders. If Flannigan-Foulup is forced onto the field again, the 49ers are in big, big trouble.

It seems like the day of the 260-270lb MLB is done. The problem if we don't have a stout NT or interior the 220lb lbs get smacked around by bigger RBs who get to the next level.
back to back weeks of being exposed.

Trey just needs consistency and he was robbed of that this year. Last year we throw him out there early season week 5 for a game against the hot Cardinals. We use him like a RB mostly so no real reps there. Then we properly sort of use him against Houston later in the season. To me, the Houston game was his first real game to properly judge him. But again he sits the rest of the year. Since he was the backup there was no way to tell if he would get better or compound his starts positively.

Then this year we have the infamous monsoon game where he flashed at times, but also struggled because he could not see quite frankly. Throwing a wet ball on an extremely muddy field. No way to judge him there either. At least Justin Fields had the benefit of being at home and a full year under his belt as starter. Then we get Seattle at home. A promising start to that game for Trey, but breaks his ankle. The kid never got to compound starts, see how he rebounds after losses, see his progression week-to-week. So this injury is devastating for someone like him rather than Allen or Mahomes because at least you know what you have with them.

Wait this is the Demeco thread woops. Yea he needs to humble the guys and let them know just because they were dominant for a few games does not mean they should crown themselves. Get back to what made them dominant weeks 1-5. Also get healthy
  • q0c0p
  • Veteran
Share 49ersWebzone