There are 275 users in the forums

DeMeco Ryans, Texans HC

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I'm not liking this Cover 2 talk that it seems like we will be running. Still have nightmares from Brett Favre destroying our Cover 2 with his TEs back in the late 90's.

What Cover2 talk? Did Ryans say something? I haven't heard Ryans say anything about scheme all offseason.

This is the Webzone, we just speak things into existence.

People are still angry that we drafted Mac Jones and that we extended Solomon Thomas.
  • thl408
One thing I hope DRyans continues to do, that Saleh began doing more of in 2020, is scheme his defense on a weekly basis. Meaning, be flexible and don't be afraid to change the defense based on what Ryans thinks will work best against the opponent for that specific week. This sounds obvious but there are defenses that like to stick with what they do best, and challenge the offense to beat them - this is the easier, less risky approach.

Of course have a core belief, but changing up the defense on a weekly basis will keep offenses guessing, and also allow for in-game adjustments to be easier. For example, the 49ers come into a game with a zone heavy gameplan. One of the top WRs goes down in the 2Q, so now the 49ers have the option and familiarity to switch to more man coverage because the matchups now favor the 49ers (WR vs CB).

This approach of scheming each week puts more stress on the coaches because they have to decide on a tailored gameplan each week, then implement it. But the payoff is a more diverse defense that is capable of doing more. Having a smart middle LB and two veteran safeties makes it easier for this to happen because those are the "on-the-field coaches" responsible for communication and getting players into the proper position, important for a defense that has a larger playbook.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I'm not liking this Cover 2 talk that it seems like we will be running. Still have nightmares from Brett Favre destroying our Cover 2 with his TEs back in the late 90's.

What Cover2 talk? Did Ryans say something? I haven't heard Ryans say anything about scheme all offseason.

This is the Webzone, we just speak things into existence.

People are still angry that we drafted Mac Jones and that we extended Solomon Thomas.
Don't you say those names

One thing I hope DRyans continues to do, that Saleh began doing more of in 2020, is scheme his defense on a weekly basis. Meaning, be flexible and don't be afraid to change the defense based on what Ryans thinks will work best against the opponent for that specific week. This sounds obvious but there are defenses that like to stick with what they do best, and challenge the offense to beat them - this is the easier, less risky approach.

Of course have a core belief, but changing up the defense on a weekly basis will keep offenses guessing, and also allow for in-game adjustments to be easier. For example, the 49ers come into a game with a zone heavy gameplan. One of the top WRs goes down in the 2Q, so now the 49ers have the option and familiarity to switch to more man coverage because the matchups now favor the 49ers (WR vs CB).

This approach of scheming each week puts more stress on the coaches because they have to decide on a tailored gameplan each week, then implement it. But the payoff is a more diverse defense that is capable of doing more. Having a smart middle LB and two veteran safeties makes it easier for this to happen because those are the "on-the-field coaches" responsible for communication and getting players into the proper position, important for a defense that has a larger playbook.

I think we saw Saleh do it more in 2020 b/c he was more confident in himself. DR might no have that confidence out of the gate. Might not want to put that stress on the guy in his 1st year. Or maybe he can handle it. Ppl were more willing to deal with Saleh's missteps early b/c it was believed the team wasn't good. DR is gonna have the opposite reactions b/c expectations are high. Every time the defense messes up he will be the blame b/c we've seen how good they can be.
  • thl408
Originally posted by lamontb:

I think we saw Saleh do it more in 2020 b/c he was more confident in himself. DR might no have that confidence out of the gate. Might not want to put that stress on the guy in his 1st year. Or maybe he can handle it. Ppl were more willing to deal with Saleh's missteps early b/c it was believed the team wasn't good. DR is gonna have the opposite reactions b/c expectations are high. Every time the defense messes up he will be the blame b/c we've seen how good they can be.

That's a good point. DR comes in with higher expectations when it comes to what is expected out of the defense. As of right now, we don't know much about Ryans' approach to defense. We do know that he brought in a former DC known for having a blitz heavy scheme (Bettcher). Was it to help build the defense in that mold, or was it as a resource that adds a layer to the defense that might be used some weeks, and not used in others?

We should expect some growing pains from Ryans. A rookie DC, like a rookie player, is going to make mistakes.
Ryans better develop our rookie DBs well.
I think, in time, Ryans will be a better DC than Saleh.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

Saleh probably had the most energy for a DC in 49ers history

So more 3rd round comp picks? Hell yeah!
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

So more 3rd round comp picks? Hell yeah!

I like those comp picks a lot, but I like keeping a good DC more than those comp picks. Hard to build a consistent pipeline that seamlessly allows you to replace a coach every few years.

Then in time we'll need to find another DC.
People forget how much this board wanted Saleh gone after his first 2 years. He wasn't even originally hired to be the DC but Shanny ran out of options.

Don't get me wrong, I like him and hope he does well in New York. Just think he was a little overrated.
[ Edited by btthepunk on May 10, 2021 at 2:41 PM ]
People forget how much this board wanted Saleh gone after his first 2 years. He wasn't even originally hired to be the DC but Shanny ran out of options.

Don't get me wrong, I like him and hope he does well in New York. Just think he was a little overrated.

Shanahan is the real DC. Always has been.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Shanahan is the real DC. Always has been.

You sound smarter talking about the O-line.
Guess what people Ryans will make some mistakes and have growing pains. Hopefully not enough to cost more than a couple games. He's definitely the right guy for the job, will be a rookie DC but won't be afraid to go big and be aggressive.
Share 49ersWebzone