There are 269 users in the forums

DeMeco Ryans, Texans HC

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Didn't Bellicheat say something similar In regards to pressure Vs sacks? . Pressures have an higher chance of causing turnovers as compared to sacks, which only Push the offense back afew yards or so.

Pressures reflect consistency better than sacks. Sacks are amazing, but in reality, they represent a tiny number of plays over the span of a season. Pressures, on the other hand, quantify a player's ability to affect the quarterback on a larger number of players over the span of the season. Additionally, there's a strong correlation between players with a lot of pressure getting sacks, but not the other way around.

It's a good reason why sack numbers can be deceiving. Ex: A player, DL #1, can be getting stonewalled all game and not affecting the QB, but he manages to sneak by on game or stunt and get home or clean up a cover sack. Meanwhile, the guy next to him, DL #2, didn't manage to get any sacks on paper, but he consistently terrorized the QB throughout the game and had the quarterback moving off his spot, running out of the pocket and just looking to get rid of the ball. DL #1 will get the praise from the stat sheet nerds, but DL #2 in this scenario is what you want week in and week out. Ideally, you want guys like Nick Bosa that get a ton of pressures, QB hits AND sacks. But those guys are super rare.
[ Edited by Heroism on May 22, 2021 at 1:21 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I posted mid yr Saleh's first yr here that he may have been green as grass, but that was because kyle wanted somebody he could tell how he wanted the D played. He was a great team guy, but truly was a good LB coach. When kyle finally brot in woods for the DBs and Kocurek for the DL, Saleh suddenly got a lot better. I wish him well in NY but he took a huge leap and a lot of what happened was not due to him. Having a green DC in the SB showed that when you have a DC with too little experience, it can come back and bite you in the azz. I really like Saleh the man...he was a terrific person, but as HC? His wisest move is to surround himself with coaches way better than he is, lots of former DCs, HCs, OCs...and maybe that will bring him success. But as a DC here, it was obvious that he just wasn't the talent we needed at DC, and meantime , kyle was learning the D..while coaching the O.

We all saw how strung out kyle was during a game, and there just wasn't enough time for him to run the O and also coach the D. Left to Saleh, that put the D coaching in a vulnerable position. The SB game proved that out...altho we were playing against a vet. HC, OC, and DC...plus the best QB in the game. That is when you need a grizzled old DC with lots of experience and smarts at the DC position.

Lol incredible 49ers fan fiction
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
I'm still appalled by Saleh's comment about preferring pressures to sacks. Never been a big fan of his since then. I don't think Saleh morphed, as much as Kocurk and Kyle basically said we're installing the Wide 9 whether you (Saleh) like it or not.

To me, this is a Kocurek centered defense, and reminds me a bit of the old Buddy Ryan bear defenses. I've always been a fan of Buddy's high pressure defenses, and those go back to the George Perlas great steeler defenses of the past. I loved how Demeco/Kyle drafted a ton of DBs this year to bolster the Nickel. It reminds me a bit of the '81 draft with Lott and company.

Didn't Bellicheat say something similar In regards to pressure Vs sacks? . Pressures have an higher chance of causing turnovers as compared to sacks, which only Push the offense back afew yards or so.

You can view defensive philosophy as revolving around three main areas. Yardage/field position, points, or turnovers. To me, pressures more directly impacts yardage/field position philosophy more than a turnover philosophy.

Sacks on the other hand, goes with more of a turnover philosophy. Saleh (in my opinion) was confused where his philosophy was. It was caught in the middle - neither here nor there.

Demeco and Kocurek are on the same page and are full in on a turnover philosophy, which is what the old Cheat Carroll/Seifert 4-3 under defenses was all about. The only difference between the Siefert/Carroll defenses is the Wide 9 addition which basically commits the defense to stopping the pass first versus the old Seifert defenses which were more balanced.

Bellicheats defenses are a modern iteration of the old Tuna defenses under Bill Parcells which were focused more on a yardage philosophy.
Originally posted by NCommand:
No backhanded compliment. It was more noting Kyle is like Bellicheat that way and while it sucks losing the Bald Poon, don't expect much, if any drop off because of Kyle.

Just look at the new specialty staff he's since brought in and has assembled.

I expect Ryan to follow a similar path as Saleh but starting from more of a multiplicity floor (higher) than straight C3.

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
No backhanded compliment. It was more noting Kyle is like Bellicheat that way and while it sucks losing the Bald Poon, don't expect much, if any drop off because of Kyle.

Just look at the new specialty staff he's since brought in and has assembled.

I expect Ryan to follow a similar path as Saleh but starting from more of a multiplicity floor (higher) than straight C3.

She has way too much hair!
She has way too much hair!

Haha
I'm still appalled by Saleh's comment about preferring pressures to sacks. Never been a big fan of his since then. I don't think Saleh morphed, as much as Kocurk and Kyle basically said we're installing the Wide 9 whether you (Saleh) like it or not.

To me, this is a Kocurek centered defense, and reminds me a bit of the old Buddy Ryan bear defenses. I've always been a fan of Buddy's high pressure defenses, and those go back to the George Perlas great steeler defenses of the past. I loved how Demeco/Kyle drafted a ton of DBs this year to bolster the Nickel. It reminds me a bit of the '81 draft with Lott and company.

You can view defensive philosophy as revolving around three main areas. Yardage/field position, points, or turnovers. To me, pressures more directly impacts yardage/field position philosophy more than a turnover philosophy.

Sacks on the other hand, goes with more of a turnover philosophy. Saleh (in my opinion) was confused where his philosophy was. It was caught in the middle - neither here nor there.

Demeco and Kocurek are on the same page and are full in on a turnover philosophy, which is what the old Cheat Carroll/Seifert 4-3 under defenses was all about. The only difference between the Siefert/Carroll defenses is the Wide 9 addition which basically commits the defense to stopping the pass first versus the old Seifert defenses which were more balanced.

Bellicheats defenses are a modern iteration of the old Tuna defenses under Bill Parcells which were focused more on a yardage philosophy.

From the mouth of BB himself :

"I think if you look at the overall passing game, the statistic that stands out the most in terms of correlation is pressure. So pressure on the quarterback leads to more bad plays than sacks do, in terms of turnovers unless you have strip sacks, obviously. That's the No. 1. After that, pressures cause bad throws and potentially turnovers."

Belichick noted that the pass rush comes down to team defense, tethering the production of the pass rush to the quality of coverage and vice versa. But his note about focusing on strip sacks and pressure while devaluing sacks is a unique insight. Sacks make players money, but they may not be tied to winning football games.

And he isn't alone. Pretty much any defensive coach will tell you they value pressures over sacks, that isn't to say they don't value sacks though. Every coach would prefer to get a sack on every play but that isn't going to happen but if you can at least generate pressure, you can disrupt the timing, rhythm and comfort of your opponent.

I would bet Kocurek and Ryan's also value pressures over sacks.

Packers OLB coach Mike Smith (who has been coaching one of the most consistent pass rushers in Z. Smith and has previously coached Dee Ford and Chris Jones in KC) ranted on this last season :

"I don't know what happened. A long time ago somebody — probably when they started recording sacks — fans, coaches, whoever, defined a great pass rusher, or an effective pass rusher, off of sacks. That's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. You define a great pass-rusher by consistency," Smith said.

A pass rusher who averages one sack a game would be an All-Pro, but Smith said a pass rusher who gets regular pressure, several times a game, does more to help his team win.

"You have to look how they are affecting the quarterback," Smith said. "When they are in the game, are they affecting the quarterback, with the pressures? Because sacks are important, don't get me wrong. . . . I care about pressure, affecting the quarterback, that's the No. 1 thing. I'll take a guy that does his job play after play after play after play, being consistent, and has zero sacks, but does his job and affects the quarterback."
Originally posted by evil:

"I think if you look at the overall passing game, the statistic that stands out the most in terms of correlation is pressure. So pressure on the quarterback leads to more bad plays than sacks do, in terms of turnovers unless you have strip sacks, obviously. That's the No. 1. After that, pressures cause bad throws and potentially turnovers."

Belichick noted that the pass rush comes down to team defense, tethering the production of the pass rush to the quality of coverage and vice versa. But his note about focusing on strip sacks and pressure while devaluing sacks is a unique insight. Sacks make players money, but they may not be tied to winning football games.

And he isn't alone. Pretty much any defensive coach will tell you they value pressures over sacks, that isn't to say they don't value sacks though. Every coach would prefer to get a sack on every play but that isn't going to happen but if you can at least generate pressure, you can disrupt the timing, rhythm and comfort of your opponent.

Packers OLB coach Mike Smith (who has been coaching one of the most consistent pass rushers in Z. Smith and has previously coached Dee Ford and Chris Jones in KC) ranted on this last season :

"I don't know what happened. A long time ago somebody — probably when they started recording sacks — fans, coaches, whoever, defined a great pass rusher, or an effective pass rusher, off of sacks. That's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. You define a great pass-rusher by consistency," Smith said.

A pass rusher who averages one sack a game would be an All-Pro, but Smith said a pass rusher who gets regular pressure, several times a game, does more to help his team win.

"You have to look how they are affecting the quarterback," Smith said. "When they are in the game, are they affecting the quarterback, with the pressures? Because sacks are important, don't get me wrong. . . . I care about pressure, affecting the quarterback, that's the No. 1 thing. I'll take a guy that does his job play after play after play after play, being consistent, and has zero sacks, but does his job and affects the quarterback."

Yup, advanced pressures are the way to go. Sacks can vary wildly year over year as can the quality of those sacks. Like Hero notes, pass rushers with a plan that can consistently cause pressures are gold. If you have two of them, you're in great shape!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Disagree. Win the turnover battle - you win the game. Thats the Raider defensive philosophy under Al Davis that Walsh won 4 super bowls under. Al's basic strategy was to take the ball away on defense--- and on offense keep it away. He didn't care about yardage or points, but sacks that creates **turnovers and interceptions.**

Bellicheat comes from the Bill Parcells school of thought where they focus on yardage and a stifling defense that gives your offense good field position to score and win games. Both Tuna and Bellicheat value execution and a conservative ball control offense and special teams to win **field position and the yardage yielded** game.

You can win super bowls with both philosophies, but the 49ers being on the west coast and under the same coaching philosophy that had its precursors under the old sid Gillman and *air Coryell* offense, that's the genetics where (i think) the shanahans are operating under. I think Saleh was never very clear where he stood on that spectrum and hence he never had a defense that was clear and solid in its aspects.
No offense, Giedi, but I have no idea what you're talking about lol. I feel like you're overanalyzing things.

Pressures create turnovers, so I'm not sure how you're going down some weird rabbit hole lol.

[ Edited by Heroism on May 23, 2021 at 1:30 PM ]

Pressures > Sacks for every DL guy I know. Football is all about consistency and pressures are a better metric for quantifying pass-rush consistency than sacks.

Disagree. Win the turnover battle - you win the game. Thats the Raider defensive philosophy under Al Davis that Walsh won 4 super bowls under. Al's basic strategy was to take the ball away on defense--- and on offense keep it away. He didn't care about yardage or points, but sacks that creates **turnovers and interceptions.**

Bellicheat comes from the Bill Parcells school of thought where they focus on yardage and a stifling defense that gives your offense good field position to score and win games. Both Tuna and Bellicheat value execution and a conservative ball control offense and special teams to win **field position and the yardage yielded** game.

You can win super bowls with both philosophies, but the 49ers being on the west coast and under the same coaching philosophy that had its precursors under the old sid Gillman and *air Coryell* offense, that's the genetics where (i think) the shanahans are operating under. I think Saleh was never very clear where he stood on that spectrum and hence he never had a defense that was clear and solid in its aspects.

Sacks do not cause interceptions, pressures cause interceptions.

From the mouth of Bill Walsh :

"There are those defensive ends who can take a tackle back into the quarterback. They can be just as effective with that as a man who makes spectacular sacks once or twice a game. Something that is not given due credit too often is the player who can take that offensive lineman back to the quarterback. Everybody keeps waiting for the pass rusher to be past somebody and make a move, where in reality you can have an excellent pass rush and not sack anybody. You break his rhythm, force him to move out of the way of his own man."

The Chiefs just lost a SB where their QB was sacked only 3 times (we sacked him 4 times the year prior). But the offense couldn't muster more than 9 points or get off any real offense because the QB was the most pressured in SB history. Not allowing him to sit back and comfortably go through his progressions was what won Tampa this game. Mahomes even admitted the consistent barrage of pressure f'd them up, messing with the timing, rhythm and cohesion of that offense.

"I just think we weren't on the same page as an offense in general," Mahomes said. "I wasn't getting the ball out on time. The receivers were running routes not exactly where I thought they were going to be at. And the offensive line, they were good at some times and sometimes they let guys through. When you're playing a good defense like that, you have to be on the same page as an offense and we weren't today. And that's why we played so bad."
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Sacks do not cause interceptions, pressures cause interceptions.

From the mouth of Bill Walsh :

"There are those defensive ends who can take a tackle back into the quarterback. They can be just as effective with that as a man who makes spectacular sacks once or twice a game. Something that is not given due credit too often is the player who can take that offensive lineman back to the quarterback. Everybody keeps waiting for the pass rusher to be past somebody and make a move, where in reality you can have an excellent pass rush and not sack anybody. You break his rhythm, force him to move out of the way of his own man."

The Chiefs just lost a SB where their QB was sacked only 3 times (we sacked him 4 times the year prior). But the offense couldn't muster more than 9 points or get off any real offense because the QB was the most pressured in SB history. Not allowing him to sit back and comfortably go through his progressions was what won Tampa this game. Mahomes even admitted the consistent barrage of pressure f'd them up, messing with the timing, rhythm and cohesion of that offense.

"I just think we weren't on the same page as an offense in general," Mahomes said. "I wasn't getting the ball out on time. The receivers were running routes not exactly where I thought they were going to be at. And the offensive line, they were good at some times and sometimes they let guys through. When you're playing a good defense like that, you have to be on the same page as an offense and we weren't today. And that's why we played so bad."

Blind side sacks cause interceptions and turnovers. The Al Davis defense is focused on those kinds of turnovers, and specifically focuses on the blind side rush hitting the QB and causing mistakes and turnovers as the QB was getting ready to throw. The great raider DEs Lyle Alzado, Howie Long etc... were to hit the QB and cause turnovers. That was the Raider defensive philosophy. Win the turnover battle, win the game. (Take away and keep away) The KC vs Brady game, Tampa won the turnover battle. The 49ers vs KC game, the turnovers (i think) were even. Again the refs allowed holding in our game and didn't in the Brady game.

There's the Raider defense that focuses on turnovers and there's the Tuna/Bellicheat defense that focuses on yardage. Usually Tuna's defenses focused on big fast physically dominating linebackers to stop the run and DLinemen that can hold ground (the old 3-4) systems with the DEs being more like DTs. Tuna liked a very big suffocating kind of defense, whereas the old Raider defenses were much faster (Al Davis was all about speed on both sides of the ball) but undersized, because they wanted to gang tackle and strip the ball from the ball carrier, and also play man (Lester "the molester" Hays) and intercept the pass, as well as speedy DEs that can hit the QB on his blind side.

Walsh was heavily influenced by Al, and Bellicheat learned under Parcells. Parcells played a field position game and mistake free football whereas Al and Walsh relied on their offense to possess and score and relied on their defense to feed the ball to their offenses.

Two totally different approaches to the game is my point. The pressures you are talking about revolves more around the tactical side, vs the strategic side. You can have tanks, but if your strategy is the Magiot Line, vs the Guderion blitzkrieg, you use your tanks differently from a tactical standpoint.
Originally posted by Heroism:
No offense, Giedi, but I have no idea what you're talking about lol. I feel like you're overanalyzing things.

Pressures create turnovers, so I'm not sure how you're going down some weird rabbit hole lol.

I got to witness both of those pick 6's live. Great time!
I got to witness both of those pick 6's live. Great time!

When you try to run a screen but the pressure is so damn overwhelming that you hand Ahkello "I think I did something" Witherspoon a gimme pick-6. God damn, our DL was ferocious in 2019.
Share 49ersWebzone